The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tricks That Maintain Your Stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
De'vo's Cradle to Grave routine IS an effect with the magical presentation provided by De'vo.

The effect: Both spectator and magi shuffle and mix the deck. A card is selected. Deck is mixed again and placed into the box. Now the card is returned to the center of the deck in the box. A string of flourishes and wild cuts happen that take the cards out of the box, cut them more and returned to the box-but this is all done very quickly using some insane moves! These moves have never been done or thought of before in this way. I swore a couple of times by the sheer ingenious concepts. At the end the spectator removes the cards from the box, which are ribbon spread to find their card face up in a face down deck. The spread is turned over and the deck is found to be completely in new deck order with the reversed card in it's perfect position.

It IS the most amazing sequence I've ever witnessed! Smile Those that haven't seen or performed it just don't know. It is an effect with the proper presentation. The other way to perform it is a flourish type of routine. Both routines are provided by De'vo because both flourishers and magicians use this awesome routine/effect.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi phantomace,

I think you might also missed the point about De'vo's routine, since the original question was about "Tricks that maintain your stack", when you say:
"Both spectator and magi shuffle and mix the deck..."

I am not disputing the fact wether this flourish routine is good or not (or use 'insane moves' or
'sheer ingenious concepts'), as it has nothing to do with the original question (see title of the thread and the original post!)

Please lets NOT start that "flourish or not thread all over again" as it is besides the point.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
This isn't about flourishing. This is an effect that maintains a stack hence the title of this thread. There is a flourish routine and a magical routine. I am referring to the latter. Since you haven't even seen the routine, either the flourish or the magical effect, you should refrain from posting about it.

It's a beautifully correographed magical effect that maintains the stack, and the best I've seen! Smile Smile
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
HI Phantomace,

I only saw the flourish routine called "Cradle to the Grave" (shown to me by a friend), I was not aware there was an effect of the same name. This is probably what confused me.

If you say that the effect maintains your stack even after a spectator shuffles the deck, then of course you are right, but if this involves a deck switch, then it does not really retain your stack.

Maybe you could clarify.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Jamil
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jamil
There is NO deck switch. There is two routines for CTG. A magical routine and a flourish routine. Sounds like you just saw the flourish one. The magical routine is detailed with the bonuses you get when you purchase the DVD. It is a great effect and the stacking/false controls are just very sweet and different than anything else out there.

J
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
Another strong vote for De'vo's Cradle to Grave -the magical routine. The effect just kills them and even more than any ACR or any other that I use in my arsenal Because of originality how much different this is than any other routine. No one has seen moves like these or an effect like this one. When you turn over the spread their mouth just hits the floor even more than when you are performing the CTG portion of the routine. It's just a devasting effect for anyone willing to put in the work for it. De'vo's methods for the false controls are just devious. I spent alot of time thinking to myself "how in the world did he come up with those moves?" shaking my head over and over.lol And I know how it works!lol imagine the poor laymen sitting there in shock. It's a perfect routine and is both refreshing and mindblowing to watch.

Cardjinx Smile
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Magicmike1949,

I'm performing "A Simple Divination" aka. "The Corinda Effect."

Jake
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Alan ackermans las vegas cardma has a handling of marlo's topsy turvy aces called stacked topsy turvy.
a great effect to do after you get a stacked in to play.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2004-01-06 22:00, Craig Chamberlain wrote:
Gene Anderson's "Si Stebbins Card Routine" is a five-phase routine available as a separate manuscript. Gene includes his patter with the presentation and it is very entertaining.

"An apparent demonstration of total card mastery, this series of card effects thoroughly entertains and baffles audiences. The magician names missing cards by glancing at a riffling pack, listens to the cards to count packets or locate any card, and detects truth from lies by spelling with the cards."

Craig is correct, and this is the Nick Trost effect that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Ijust dug it out and discovered, to my dismay, that I was calling it Trost's when it was Anderson's all along. The confusion lies in the fact that the final speller effect is Trost's, suggested to Gene by Dennis Loomis. Sorry for the confusion. It is still the best three dollars I ever spent. It was originally published in 1988, and may still be available from Gene. I don't know how to contact him, but Dennis might, and he is a member here, so maybe he will chime in.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
CarolinaHusker: Can you please describe your routine in more detail?

"I'm performing "A Simple Divination" aka. "The Corinda Effect.""

What do you believe makes it so strong ? Just curious.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
The Zen Master by Darwin Ortiz is a great effect and keeps the deck stacked.
zmagicleez
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of zmagicleez
Guy Hollingworth has a superb gambling routine which not only looks impossible but keeps a full deck order.
It's a small world... but you wouldn't want to hoover it.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2004-01-26 18:37, zmagicleez wrote:
Guy Hollingworth has a superb gambling routine which not only looks impossible but keeps a full deck order.

If you are refering the one in Drawing Room Deceptions, that's not what he's looking for. That routine needs the colors separated, the effects he is looking for is for something like a memorized deck routine that doesn't disturb the cards. Of course that routine doesn't, but noone will choose to memorize a deck in new deck order. But alternatively, you could use a Tetradistic deck like Si Stebbins, then in the end of the routine you could give two faros to bring every four of a kind together instead of the cards in numerical order.
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Nicodemus,

The effect is as follows:

The performer shuffles(?) the deck a few times. The spectator then takes the deck. While the deck is behind his back he gives it a few cuts. He then takes the top or the bottom card, reverses it, and places it somewhere in the middle of the deck. The performer then names the card. The spectator goes through the cards, finds the reversed one, and it matches.

I think the conditions are what make this trick so strong. After the shuffling(?) the spectator handles the deck throughout. When the card is named, not even the spectator knows what card he has selected. If he doesn't know it, how can the magician dude know it?

This effect can be found in Osterlind's Mind Mysteries DVD volume 2, and the Breakthrough Card System Book. Both are found at:

http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/

Jake
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Gene Anderson still sells his Si Stebbins Card Routines. As he is not a member here, if you contact me, I'll put you in touch with him.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Well one such well known effect that does not alter the stack is the old ambitious card routine. There are many pick a card effects that do not alter it. Probably many of the effects you already do do not alter, you just have not realized it.

Cody
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tricks That Maintain Your Stack (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL