The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Gaffless Packet (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FriarShaun
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
81 Posts

Profile of FriarShaun
I am sure this has already been posted, but I could not find it. What are some great gaffless packet tricks? The kind of thing you could pull off with a borrowed deck. Or at least a packet that you can have inspected when you are done. I always feel awkward collecting the cards and placing them away before someone has the ability to inspect them. So far all I know is gypsy monte. Thanks
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
No individual tricks mentioned here by me, but excellent sources packed with them.

Focus by Max Maven - he wrote it when he was Phil Goldstein. It's a treasure trove a GREAT packet magic. Also:

Small and Deadly and Still Small, Still Deadly by Paul Hallas: these two books are packed not only with great routines but also comprise perhaps the most comprehensive history of packet magic ever written.

Packet Tricks by Jerry Mentzer

Packet Magic by J.K. Hartman (note, you will have an easier time obtaining this than CardCraft - a MASSIVE book that is VERY hard to get).

Cameron Francis has created a nice body of packet magic. Check out his website.

Aldo Colombini produced some of the greatest magic, period. And he did a lot of packet magic.

Perhaps a bit expensive but all four hardback volumes of Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse contain a lot of packet magic. In fact, there is an effect in the "blue" volume by Richard Vollmer called Poor Man's Monte that has been a mainstay in my repertoire for 11 years.

Have you looked into Nick Trost's work?

Jon Racherbaumer's Wild Card Kit is a superb treatise on the Wild Card plot.

The Dave Campbell Legacy, written by Peter Duffie, contains a wonderful section on packet effects and a real killer effect in that book is titled Irish Poker.

The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings will give you Ambitious Classic and The Maestro's Poker Demonstration.

And speaking of poker demonstrations ...

Harry Lorayne, Darwin Ortiz, Scott Guinn, and Nick Trost all have great approaches to the venerable 10 Card Poker Deal. And Nick Trost has an 18 card version in The Card Magic of Nick Trost that is pure genius and throws off people who know the method for the 10 card version.

Throughout the literature you will find Follow the Leader and Oil and Water routines. Peter Kane's Jazz Aces is a classic and has spawned MANY variants.

So, there are more, but, these should get you started. Smile

Slainte,
Vlad
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Vlad, as per usual, lists some great tricks and creators. There is also a three page thread dealing with this exact topic here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=201

Best of luck on your search!
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Check out John Bannon's "fractal" series of effects. You end clean/inspectable with all of them.

I'm really liking B'rainiac from Triabolical / Fractalicious

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTgNIhYXpFc

All kinds of changes and surprises, yet only some basic moves needed, and you can use your own cards if you want something other than aces or blank faces, or when (inevitably) the supplied cards need replacing. I'm currently playing around with a queens/jokers set I made up.

The Royal Scam is another in the "fractal" series I really like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWOugQxj4Q
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Steven, thank you for the kind words! (Love YAAA BTW. Still working on the pronunciation Smile )

inigmntoya, Great call on Bannon! The OP should check out High Caliber which contains most of the effects you mentioned. I too love the fractal series with Mega Wave being a real favorite.

I had mentioned Larry Jennings' Ambitious Classic and I wanted to add that there are some variants of this by Chris Kenner and Cameron Francis. The Kenner handling requires an easy extra something but it's not a gaff. The Cameron Francis handing in Moment's Notice 8 simplifies the Jennings routine and I am looking at working in some aspects of Cameron's thinking into the Jennings original.

Lastly, why not learn a bona fide 3 Card Monte? A few great resources are out there and of them, I would strongly suggest the DVD Daryl Does the Full Monte as it covers practically everything concerned with 3 Card Monte.
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
Yes, yes, and yes. All of these mentioned are great resources. 10 card poker deal, Jazz aces, and oil and water can be incredible and the recommended teachers are some of the best.
Joshua Jay's Penguin Lecture has a great oil and water routine that is well worth learning as well.

Cameron Francis has some great packet tricks worth looking at. One of them, "Turn, Turn, Turn" is available for free by signing up for his mailer.

Hope this helps.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
There are many, many packet tricks that involve no gaffs. Vernon's Twisting the Aces tops my list.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a3y_X71ra_8 This is the one I like and all cards can be examined at the end.Takes some time to get the routine down but we'll worth it.The trick can be purchased on Daryl' s website.

Leo Jr
Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
I only have a small addition that I recently picked up and loved(though Vlad semi-covered it):

Color Monte.

As someone who seems to use mostly packets, much to my disdain, this was my first gafless packet. I'm trying to take the step from gaff to skill and this thing is doing wonders for my confidence(and making me finally learn a proper DL).
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2014, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
Http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a3y_X71ra_8 This is the one I like and all cards can be examined at the end.Takes some time to get the routine down but we'll worth it.The trick can be purchased on Daryl' s website.

Leo Jr

YES! My favorite trick to watch! I bought it but havent learned the count yet. Not really a lot to the trick itself. A lot of patter tho. Smile . That one is a door blower. Smile
FriarShaun
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
81 Posts

Profile of FriarShaun
Thank you all, I forgot about 10 card poker deal. I think Bannon's routines are the closest to what I am looking for. I am working a few of them into stories as I love to tell stories. I only wish there were more good choices for characters in a standard deck. Again, many thanks.
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
I absolutely LOVE 'poor mans monte' by Richard vollmer'. I don't know where it was originally published,(Vlad?!), but it's performed and explained very well on 'a few good cards' DVD by Aldo columbini. It does use a dupe but so worth it. It's one of his super cheap series, and I would have happily paid a lot more for that routine alone.
Actually, ambitious classic is on the same disc, and all the effects are gaff less and well worth a look.
K
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2014, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:

Leo Jr

This this only sold separately, or is it in print or on a DVD somewhere?
Ethan Lin
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ethan Lin
In comparison to pervious posts these two tricks will sound very boring and basic but there is devils elevator and jumping gemini. Not the most amazing but they are gaffless and can be done on the fly (jumping gemini requires a bit of sneakiness tog et the right cards tho)

-EL
"Now you’re looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to work it out. You want to be fooled." - Cutter
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Poor Man's Monte is a great effect. You can also find it in the first (blue) volume of Apocalypse. Peter Marshall has a variation of it in the same volume.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
thenewkid
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of thenewkid
I love Paul Harris' Bizarre Twist. Couldn't do it with a borrowed deck though.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, orchid666 wrote:
I absolutely LOVE 'poor mans monte' by Richard vollmer'. I don't know where it was originally published,(Vlad?!), but it's performed and explained very well on 'a few good cards' DVD by Aldo columbini. It does use a dupe but so worth it. It's one of his super cheap series, and I would have happily paid a lot more for that routine alone.
Actually, ambitious classic is on the same disc, and all the effects are gaff less and well worth a look.
K

If I had a euro for every time I've talked about this great trick as well as a euro for every time I have performed it, I could afford to get out of Holland with all of my stuff. As Steven Keyl already mentioned - and I have as well in other threads - it's in the blue Apocalypse volume. In the Afterthoughts, Harry Lorayne offers a few little twists such that you are left clean at the end.
JH5magic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of JH5magic
I think that Bill Malone's Gemini Twins presentation is great!

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Gaffless Packet (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL