The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible deck (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JFmagic
View Profile
New user
Ithaca, NY
75 Posts

Profile of JFmagic
I keep fanning. I feel that it gives a cleaner look to the effect.
JFmagic
View Profile
New user
Ithaca, NY
75 Posts

Profile of JFmagic
Does anyone have a good patterfor this btw? I wanted to change the story and I was also just wondering.
danbastianelli
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of danbastianelli
Outjog the face down and keep fanning. Sometimes they pull it out before I ask them to which for some strange reason makes for better reactions
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2014, danbastianelli wrote:
Outjog the face down and keep fanning. Sometimes they pull it out before I ask them to which for some strange reason makes for better reactions

They pull it out without asking? Haha for me its just the opposite. They always look at me and ask "Can I pull out the card?" Kind of as if they are afraid to do so.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I fan all the way. The fluid decks made by Shawn Evans of Mimesis Magic make this very easy--change the thumb position to effortless separate the target pair, then move it back and keep spreading, being sure that that last couple of pairs in the left and don't separate.

But I think I am putting my R/S IDs away after learning Michael Close's ungimmicked deck version. The moves are simple and easily covered, and the spec can handle the card and deck freely after without detecting a thing (unless, of course they are magicians familiar with the full-deck stack in use). If there was just one trick that makes memorizing a stack worthwhile, it is this one.

Les
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, nathangesig wrote:
I keep fanning also. I tend to also set up my ID so that the more commonly selected cards are closer to the middle of the deck. It looks great when you fan open the entire deck and the selected card is almost in the middle.

An alternative to this is arranging the pairs in some memorized stack order rather than the traditional sum-to-thirteen rule. That way, you know where the selection is and do a quick mental calculation and estimation--something memdeck users do all the time--to cut it to the middle.

Michael Close's ungimmicked ID from the Workers books solves this issue entirely--the moves put the selection smack in the middle every time.

Les
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
You could do it that way but... why?

ID is near perfection - one of the best tricks ever.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
You could do it that way but... why?

ID is near perfection - one of the best tricks ever.

Why not? I think any knowledgeable worker should be able to set up the deck in whatever way helps him or her most effectively position and reveal the selection. There is nothing particularly advantageous about the sum-to-thirteen system, and indeed arranging the ID in stack order provides an open index that cuts down on searching. I know the Mnemonica stack really well now so I am happy with this variation.

As for near perfection, Michael Close's ungimmicked ID from Workers 5 is a dazzler. The moves are easy to master and cover. Simon Aronson's similar Invisible Card is even easier. I really like having ungimmicked versions on hand for those who might know about the gaffed deck.

Les
Terapin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Terapin
So what are people's favorite orders for ID decks?
melvinsoto
View Profile
New user
Puerto Rico
16 Posts

Profile of melvinsoto
One effect I do with the ID is that I take out a little paper bag and open it, it looks empty but I'm actually holding the ID inside with my fingers, then I throw an imaginary pack of cards to the audience, ask them to do all the shuffling, jokes, etc, and then I tell them to throw the imaginary deck at me, then I pretend I catch it with the bag, (letting go of the deck) so it looks like it has appeared, and THEN I go on to fan the cards, but yes I fan them all the way to let them know that's the only one!
MeisterMarkus
View Profile
New user
Germany
2 Posts

Profile of MeisterMarkus
I have gotten good mileage out of spreading the deck, but keeping only part of it spread out at a time. when I get to the spectators card I show it as part of the spread, jog it out so not to lose it, and keep on spreading to show it is in fact the only reverse card. I then fan around the outjogged card and let the spectator pull this card out; as only part of the deck is spread and he's fixed on his own card anyway they don't notice anything fishy.
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
I have gotten great reactions by spreading the fan completely . I usually place the card in their hand while I continue to show them their card was the only indifferent card . I proceeded to snap over the card while they hold it and tell them to slowly look at it cause magic that happens in the spectator is so much stronger .
khuzhai
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of khuzhai
Keep fanning!! otherwise the audience might think that there might be other faced down card in the deck
poolside
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Florida
73 Posts

Profile of poolside
Keep spreading as their amazement grows. I also like to "catch" the ID in a plastic grocery bag (or similar) as it is tossed back to me and becomes "visible". It especially surprises volunteers who are "just going along with you" on invisibility. Smile
"It's a good feeling to know you're alive" - Fred Rogers
russellajallen
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of russellajallen
I keep fanning, but only hold the whole deck open for a second really, not enough time to read all the values. As I fan I up jog the required card, keep spreading passed it, then close the deck and remove the selected card.

I'm currently trying to figure out a different routine using the same deck, but haven't had enough time playing around with it.
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi russellajallen,

Darwin Ortiz has a routine called Do As I Did in his book "Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table' P140. This utilises the Invisible Deck plus another deck. It's a strong effect that may be of interest to you.

All the best

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible deck (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL