The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Elmsley perfection challenge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
I am sure many of you employ the elmsley in your routines, and many of you do it well, some even "perfect". Perfect, is where I am trying to get to. I can comfortably display, and even fool a layman, but my biggest critic (me) is not too pleased. I have read many different handlings, watched a plethora of videos but still feel I am a little off (sometimes I "cheat" a little and the right thumb slides a micron to the right). So here is my challenge to you:

Can you please post a video, in slow motion, high definition of you doing an elmsley (4 or 5 cards, please specify which you are using). No explanation, just the display itself. A count 1-2-3-4, then display the next 4. I would like to see all of the subtle moves and see if I can duplicate to "better" myself. For fun, maybe we can even "judge" who's is best?
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Instead of challenging others, why don't you post a video of your own EC for critique. That might be a better approach. And by the way, every EC you watch will be a little different since each individual has to adapt the move to their own hands. This is true of every sleight. Also, once you can do the move passably well, begin to practice it in the context of a routine and it will become easier to do. This is also true of every sleight. The best way to learn a move is in context.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
Well, it is others subtleties I want to learn. I am visual, thus pick up quicker seeing someone do it rather than have someone tell me "move your thumb back and to the left".
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I've never liked the idea of using the Ghost Count as a "count". I think that counting four cards "1, 2, 3, and 4 cards" is mundane, and a bit ridiculous. The original trick, The Four Card Trick", was a jumping, reversing, with a color changing card surprise to end it, and the move was used to reverse the order of the four cards from one hand to the other, not as a cardinal number count. I catch myself using a silent script counting 1 to 4, but that's only to help me maintain the tempo of the order reversal, and I talk about the cards being seen, but I never actually count out loud.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a couple of videos for consideration. I'll send Elmsley's original Four Card Trick and the Oil and Water Rides Again from Skinner's Classic Sampler. This offer stands for anyone interested.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Hi MontrealMagic,

I have what may be an offbeat perspective on false counts, but I'll share it in case it interests you.

My perspective is: *false counts are a primarily auditory illusion that also has visual support*.

This is what I think you should do. Practice counting 4 cards as 4, no trickery, from one hand to the other, with your eyes closed. Then count 3 cards as 4, again with your eyes closed, making sure everything sounds exactly the same as before. Then do the Elmsley Count, again until everything sounds the same. The empty space between each card flick should be identical; you could practice with a metronome if it's hard for you to keep the timing even.

Exactly how many millimeters your thumb moves matters only if you are YouTubing your hands. What matters to the audience is that your count is moveless -- meaning that it looks and sounds completely natural, identical to a natural action. Audience members aren't really "burning your hands" as much as they are "burning your whole body."

I hope this helps.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2014, MontrealMagic wrote:
Well, it is others subtleties I want to learn. I am visual, thus pick up quicker seeing someone do it rather than have someone tell me "move your thumb back and to the left".

If this was true, then with the plethora of videos you've watched you should have gotten it down already. I second the suggestion that you upload a video of your EC. Firstly, to actually show that you know the technique and aren't just searching for secrets, secondly it's probably just a minor fix that you may be overlooking.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Twisting the Aces, over and over and over and over and over and over.... I hated the EC for almost 10 years but now I do It everyday, with ANY four cards I come across. My thing is to always do the first count the same as the rest. So when I peel it off I always pull towards the top left corner(OR 11:00) of the pack.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Montreal, Try taking the cards DEEP into the receiving hand, as Elmsley ORIGINALLY did. NOT by the edges as Vernon purported and is often taught and described. I think you'll notice a big difference. Looks more natural too! Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
Well, I have been working on it, almost daily. A friend was at magic-con and jammed with Bebel all night (sounds dirty). There were subtleties that we both seemed to have missed. It may seem obvious, but when you show your EC to someone of that calibur, he drives home the details.

1- your right hand (or left, if you are "sinister") DOES NOT MOVE! AT ALL
2 - as your thumb pulls off, do not reach all the way to the far edge.
3 - (optional) the receiving hand opens to "display" each card

I am MUCH better now, thank you all. I have thrown in the Hamman count after the EC to set them back in proper order. Repetition, repetition....sigh
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
As I posted elsewhere recently, now learn how to Elmsley Count from your hand into the spectators hand (so they are the receiving hand). It's good fun and gives a nice ending when they hold the cards prior to the revelation.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On May 24, 2014, Rolyan wrote:
As I posted elsewhere recently, now learn how to Elmsley Count from your hand into the spectators hand (so they are the receiving hand). It's good fun and gives a nice ending when they hold the cards prior to the revelation.

A John Bannon idea I believe.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On May 24, 2014, Paul wrote:
Quote:

I believe so, yes. It's rarely seen though.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
Quote:
On May 24, 2014, Paul wrote:
Quote:

I believe so, yes. It's rarely seen though.

First described in John's book "Smoke and Mirrors" where he refers to is as 'the assisted switch'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Elmsley perfection challenge? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL