The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Busking for charity - has anyone tried it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AndreJ
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
I just want to tell you a bit about my progress, and perhaps get a few words of encouragement...

I´m in that state where I have shown my magic to my family and to all my coworkers. Some of my tricks work fine and some need a little more work. The problem with the effects that need work is that the only way to get better is to go out into the real world and perform for "strangers". A good example is Looch "Hollow" where I have the mechanics working but need to work on the interaction part. This is very hard to do in a mirror...

So, my thought is to go out in the streets and perform...however...

My first try was a couple of weeks ago. I had my pockets loaded with magic and went out trying to work out how to start performing. In my town, there are basically no magicians performing with is both good and bad. The bad part is that people don't expect magic, and therefor are harder to interact with. The good part is that there is very little (if any) competition. I realized quite quickly that just going up to a stranger and ask if they want to see a magic trick is not the best approach. Most people are doing something, like talking or eating, and for them having a stranger walk up and start talking is jus unnatural. The logical reaction is to be "on guard" and not inviting, thus making my approach hard.

I did figured out a good approach for people with kids however...and that was to walk up to the kid and ask if he/she had seen my rabbit. I acted very concerned about loosing my rabbit and then, when the kid told me he hadn't seen it...I produced it from his ear and showed my 3d rabbit routine. This worked fine..but...I didn't want to spend the day doing sponge rabbits to kids. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, I didn't perform for adults nearly as much as I wanted to.

So...my next idea is to use a table and stand in a fixed place. I have also started a fundraiser for cancer treatment and will have a sign on my table saying "Magic for the benefit of cancer treatment". I figured this will get two things working; 1. people will come to me, expecting to see magic and 2. people will understand that I´m not selling them anything or trying to rip them off.

Has anyone tried this approach?
My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and went pro.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
That's an interesting approach. I'm curious to hear how it works for you. I think if I saw that, though, I'd be a bit skeptical. I'm always extremely cautious about charitable donations "on the streets," because there are too many people faking it and taking the money for themselves. I'd watch the show, and if I felt like tipping the guy, I would, but I would offer an amount that I might tip, not the amount I would donate to a cancer charity.

Another thought: in this country, if someone walks up to a child and asks if they've seen his rabbit, people will chase him off with torches and pitchforks. In fact, even if I wanted to do some children's magic (which isn't what I specialize in anyway), I'd always approach the parents, not the children.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Just a thought: if you can get connected with a real known non-profit, perhaps you can set up with a restaurant, ice cream parlor, etc. to use a table. Set up a poster and jar: "Magic tricks - $5; $3 with any purchase. All proceeds go to this great cause." Or something like that.

Ed
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
279 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
279 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
Try the penguin live download GAZZO live 2 as well.
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
I have started a fundraiser with a known charity so people can donate via SMS. That way, I don't have to hand cash and people are sure that the money is going to the right cause.

I agree that the charity-approach might sound suspicious to some, but on the other hand...I really have nothing to lose. If they don´t donate money, I still get to practice and perform my magic. I haven't had time to do this live yet, but I´ll let you know how it turned out.

The rabbit-approach did work fine. The parents looked a bit puzzled, but as soon as the rabbit popped out of the ear of the child, all was laughing.
My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and went pro.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Busking for charity - has anyone tried it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL