The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What work (if any) do you put in your stack? (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2014, charlie_d wrote:
No work. After a while I find I can cut to "position 1" after any random cut just by feel anyway.

Wow that is pure brilliance! The first card does obtain a natural distinctive crimp with extensive handling.
You could do this with a brand new deck of cards as well?
I Love You God Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2014, MagicKingdom10 wrote:
Since this stack work is not in Asi Wind's Chapter One, I wonder if other members of the Café perform Asi's ACAAN using short cards the way I do. I use a mnemonica/Tamariz stack and I short the 8 of Hearts, 2 of Clubs, and 4 of Spades (14th, 27th, and 40th card respectively). These three short cards separate the stack into 4 equal portions. The shorts allow me to thumb count to the card much faster and without making any peeks at all. It completely transforms the playing field as before I had to do a peek and adjust, but now the peek is unnecessary because the shorts allow my thumb to serve as my eyes. My shorts are also effectively invisible to laymen so when I give them the cards to count, not one of them ever notice it. Since this effect depends on a stack and can not be shuffled, I have to do a deck switch anyway so this marked deck is not used in other effects and therefore lessen the likelihood of ever being detected. With these three short cards, I could now perform a no-peek AACAAN Smile

I perform Asi's version the way it is written up in the book (except for computing the position which I've simplified) and have done it so often now that when I take my first peek, I'm rarely off by more than 1 or two cards so any adjustment takes a fraction of a second. So for me, adding multiple shorts wouldn't provide any substantive benefit although I do think it's a very good idea, especially for those who have a tougher time estimating the initial position. And like you say, when you get good at that handling, you can do it without ever looking at the deck which is a definite advantage over any peek method.

Nice thinking.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Thanks Steven I perform Asi Wind's ACAAN without peeking at all and since the shorts are never noticed, I see this as a win-win move!
I do practice the thumb counting religiously. The strategically positioned shorts not only act as tactile indices they also significantly speed up the count.
It is now an entirely different ball game because the playing field is completely lifted Smile
I Love You God Smile
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
MK10: Doesn't work with a new deck. I think this happens because I stack with faros. It's like a natural crimp, as you say.

It probably also means I'm staying in position 1 too much. I should cut more, but I find it easier to have card 1 in position 1.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Charlie, I intentionally create crimps to be able to do what you do. I'm not sure if laypeople could detect the difference between natural and intentional crimps
I Love You God Smile
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Histed used corner shorts, I recommend his book. For an alternative to the breather see Kwik Key Kard in
The Cardiste.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I always have a top cutting corner short in # 1 and a bottom cutting corner short in # 30. This second is because A King of spades gets named a lot and B I find it easier to calculate from thirty rather than 27 I case I want to spell to a named card. One that happens a lot is named card is seven of spades. Just corner cut 30 to bottom without even looking and count 7. It's a good one. All the cards from 30 to 48 get named a lot. I also have a small pencil dot on 7 of hearts with edge Mark too. I don't use this in my memorized deck effects, but if someone asks to shuffle I let them then use the pencil dotted card to do some cool things. It's quite amazing what cool effects you can create with just a corner short and pencil dot. If I'm feeling lazy I use the top cutting corner short to help me get quick doubles or pick ups for Braue additions. Sorry about my spelling ü
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What work (if any) do you put in your stack? (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL