The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mental Epic Boards (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I was always a fan of this and I had a routine I developed many moons ago that won a contest at Tannen's Magic Camp. Anyway, they two versions I have are Joe Proper's All Seeing Eye for Close Up and Pro Epic by John Breeds. John makes the units to order and they look different/innocent and are very logical with the layout -- it does not look like a magic prop. Worth the extra expense vs. what is available.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
I wasn't referring to the technical so much as the presentational problems such as anti-climatic ending, lack of build, etc.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of the various approaches to presentation?

I have a no force version, it is really good, made here in Indiana.

Repro Magic (defunct company) made several versions of Mental Epic, one I remember only used blank index cards.

I think the trick is one of the best presentation pieces that was ever offered to the magic community. Showmanship drives this effect from start to finish. It has pacing, and movement, like no other trick except Alan Shaxon Confabulation.

The change in a audience members pocket, a Color, and a date or year. The information can be changed with the no force version. If you do the Alan Shaxon version, using colored chalk, then the colors of the chalk also match with each prediction.

Lack of build, no sir, it is exciting, and the build whelms over the top to a climax that is stunning. A hard hitting effect, for sure.

Fast fire impact mentalism magic. Highly recommend Mental Epic, any version.
gfmagic
View Profile
New user
Glen
19 Posts

Profile of gfmagic
Chalet put out a nice mental epic
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Gfmagic, does "Chalet" still exist? What type of board is it?
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Had them all including the Harry Stanley's of the early (Hen Fetch) make 1956 or 1957.
Doing a routine for it for 4--5 and 6 year kids, I find that the (Mikame) model suits me fine, just the right weight, size and covers are attached and flips up.
Tricky Ricky
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I must agree with Pop Haydn on this. The presentation is usually the problem rather than the machinery. Too often it is "Built Down" rather than "Built Up" for an ending.

I'm not sure how many entertainers tend to treat the ending as "Finished at last and now we can move on" instead of WOW!

It can be a fantastic routine as something besides a puzzle.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I agree. The anti-climax comes because once you start revealing the top line, everyone knows what the next one and the next one will be--there is no build from one prediction to the next.

The ending is easily foreseen and therefore not a surprise at all.

There is no pinnacle moment in the last prediction that creates an applause moment.

There is not a change in what is written on each square as all are one-line entries. It is clearly possible to write one line that matches the one line before it and slide a panel.

There should be one line on the first, two on the second and three lines on the last. This makes the sliding gimmick counter-intuitive.

These are the important performance and method issues to solve, in my opinion. Most of the changes in this routine have been made to solve what is basically a magician's worry--the force--and not the structure problems of the routine itself.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2015, cheesewrestler wrote:
The current U.S. and World championships in Mental Epic presentation are held by Richard Osterlind.

Because ________? What is it you like about his presentation?
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
294 Posts

Profile of mixman
OK, I am thinking of pulling my old slate out of the closet. And the first thing I will do is go back and study Pop's routine that I bought on Dvd a few years ago. And we will go from there.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
What is it you like about his presentation?

When I first got my board, I used the standard presentation and it fell so flat I put the board away.
When I ran across the Osterlind style or presenting, I immediately pulled it back out!
The non-force is long buried and forgotten. The little joke thrown in resets tension for the last reveal.

I'd love to see Pop's routine. Don't know that I could ever do him justice, though! That's a hard act to follow!

Ed
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On May 6, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:

Excellent routine, Pop! I like the 3 card ending but it wouldn't work for me because I perform for small groups of friends, not a large audience. Too easy for them to compare notes (because they all know each other).

I kinda like how Richard Osterlind ends in this routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQD1_798qE

Your routine is very magical because of the building predictions but I also like the comedy bit that Richard adds. Fun.

Bottom line: I think the various Mental Epic boards are excellent magic. I'm not in the group that feels that chalkboard is passé and we should be using whiteboards (or no board at all). The power of the effect lies in the presentation, not the board. If a presentation allows the audience to have fun and be mystified, then board or no board, it's a good presentation (as yours is).

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I bought many of these props over 35 years ago and frankly never use them. Instead I just tear pages from a legal pad and toss them away (As wrong) and then reclaim them again in the right order. For me it is much more effective. It ends in magical surprises.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mental Epic Boards (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL