The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » So what would you do ?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Kudos to you Ken. you shouldn't give away any more.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, Ian McColl wrote:
Hi Jay, thanks, didn't want you to hyjack Ken's thread for a tale of your own. It's good to keep these threads on target. (if you don’t then other off topics like mentalism, palm reading and thugs punching people, or advert for 'quafiki' can creep in).

Smile Smile Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I shall start my owm thread then.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Don't worry Jay cos nobody will join you !!!! Hahaha.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I hope no one actually does. Can you imagine how much time someone must have to... Wait a minute, I think Dave is typing something right now.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, jay leslie wrote:
Ian, Frist off, hats off to Ken. Very few people alive would stand up to that challenge. A few advertise as Escape Artists but don't think outside the box, literally.
So Ian, I would have made a point that the spot welder could not be used while anything was attached to me because of the possibility of electrocution. (Take it for what it's worth) it's possible to pop a spot weld using part of another piece.
I don't know how thick or what type of metal was used but I (me personally) when I was doing "nothing bared" escapes, I carried a steamer trunk with 8 drawers full of tools. Full.
Tool wise, knowing in advance and being able to hide any that would do the trick: a French Sheet Metal nibbler, a pair of reverse-action plyers that push things open, a pair of Vice Grips with a wire cutter, two levers that apply force when crossed like an X. The aforementioned wire saw, possibly some liquid nitrogen. There is also a neat little chain-breaker that works with screw action.

Then there would have been all the "offering" of various body parts, with the warning that if they didn't wrap the chain all the way around me, that I might break out. And standing or bending might have "helped" the volunteers to get the job done "better" but I can't say because I wasn't there. These are all speculations of modus operandi.

I also would have (and have) advertised that "various members from the audience will be selected to help each other, in the tying process" but obviously those Gentleman were H bent on working together with a plan. so. It would be a good idea to make them trip over each other by challenging their manhood and ego about how one is working better or faster then another ... And that might have made someone slip- up.

Finally, if I had a few hours to "Examine" the restraints, I would have done something "very similar" to what Arthur Coghlan did in making his fantastic escapes work. I would have just worked a part here and there, nothing as elaborate as what Mr. Coghlan did on a larger scale, but you get the idea.

Then yet, given enough time it's possible to get inside the spot welder and remove a few coils so the penetration would be less.

That's just off the top of me head since I didn't see the actual parts in question. However it hopefully illustrates the directions I would have considered.

I'm sure that Ken developed a stratagy within a few minutes and with his massive knowledge and experience, obviously made it work.

So Ian, here are my two questions back
1. Who else that's alive do you think could have met this challenge? (I'm only counting 9 to 11)
2. If the others can not meet a challenge, should they call themselves Escape Artists, escapologists or Performance Artists?
The title, Escape Artist, should be reserved for people who don't just buy Hanburg8s and a Seiberian Chain Escape.

But that's just me. Jay, the Dolly fixer.

Murray allegedly said that you had to be able to get out of anything, under any conditions, to be an escape artist.

Are any of us truly escape artists when measured by such a yardstick?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
So Murray wasn't a escape artist? you are being very philosophical.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Hype.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Well.......
It's how the presentation is made

If no one is allowed tie the rope around your neck or between your legs, can you still claim an escape will be made, in less time then it takes to put you in?

I'm sure the gents that secured Ken are kicking themselves today because now they figured-out better ways to have secure him.... but it's too late, It's over, they had their chance and he beat them.

(Note to Ian. This post was my attempt at un-hijacking this thread. Does it meet your approvial?)
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Note to Jay: everythime someone something that does sit well in the space you provide for input, does not mean you should feel mortally wounded. So being Curtis's teacher, now I know where he gets revenge nature when he doesn't like someone's thoughts. You should ask, Is your behaviour meeting your mothers approval?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, Ian McColl wrote:
So Murray wasn't a escape artist? you are being very philosophical.

An assumption unchallenged is a terrible thing to waste. Smile
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Not all are cut out to take up a challenge!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
And 0% to take up ALL challenges? Smile
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Who is an expert at challenges is the Q. Even Harry knew when to switch the game because the odds were not in his favor. Knowing how to deflect a challenge and make the event more compelling is just as important as carrying-through with your initial plan when it looks like it's turning sour. Take Joe Burus, he didn't control how thick the cement was mixed... at what point do you say "Oh look.. there are so many people here today they can't see what I'm doing- It's a good thing I brought this Milk Can". At what point should he have poured himself a glass of cement and tested it for viscosity? Did he have a test for viscosity? How would he have denounced the conditions (without making people suspicious) Should he have had a nan at the cement factory who oversaw the mixing?

I think that Steve and Ian are on opposite sides of the same con.

Mario, one time, had an off duty police officer on the stage, the man was applying cuffs. Mario didn't like the way the cop was acting and he said (paraphrasing) "Hay, this is just for charity, It's a demonstration... you don't have to be so rough. but the cop persisted and Mario shoved him off the stage...... right off the stage..... goodbye... Harry has a few bouncers who tossed people out the door if they were up to no good. So, being a Challenge performer does require "responsibilities"... (I use that word lightly as I don't know a better one). I always had two people travel with me when I was doing these escapes. They were taught what to look for and how to respond, not just stand around and wait for a signal.

Even the 100 foot rope tie needs an officiator (who works for you) keeping the time keeper honest... ...honestly. The president of the club or the secretary may cheat and a few have cheated. (Yes, those were the days of analogue wrist watches and minute hands)

>>>Note to Ian: I shall forever remember and cherish those kind words you spoke to me at the convention the moment you walked through the door.... you said "That was a long flight".
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Challenges are not necessarily open-ended, and you must control them, without seeming to do so.

Bouncers and officiators-on-your-side...well, maybe some people need them.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Control them without seeming to do so. Wonderful words and advice worth thousands to the challenge escapist the best bit of advice on this board.

Thanks Harley your on the button.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » So what would you do ?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL