The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » One-Trick Stacks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I must admit to having a great liking for a few effects that use a full or near-full stack that is specific to just one effect. Two that I can give as an example are from Simon Aronson--Worker Bees from Try the Impossible and Simon-Eyes from The Aronson Approach. I am sure there are plenty of other examples.

I am curious as to how often folks here go to the trouble of setting up a full-deck stack that is really good for just one effect.

Of course, there are ways to make a specialized stack more generally useful. One can memorize it and use it as one's memdeck for other effects. Sometimes the specialized stack has other utility--Aronson's Simon Eyes stack is just a cyclic rosary stack and can find it useful in many effects where a rosary stack is needed but it doesn't matter which one.

There are some great effects out there that depend on a one-trick-pony stack. I am interested to learn how often the serious cardicians out there take the trouble to perform them.

Les
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Generally I am not a fan of using a stack that only does one thing, BUT I have one exception.

I have an antique deck set-up and cased in an old metal card box. I bring it out for special performances of Woody Aragon's effect Grandpa's Poker from his fantastic A Book in English.

If the routine didn't involve a participant shuffling the cards and multiple mixing procedures I probably wouldn't recommend the approach of bringing out a special deck, but being a the great poker routine that it is, it lends itself to using an old deck along with a good story. The routine can start with explaining the outcomes (the exact hands that will be dealt in a game), then have a participant help to mix the cards, then more shuffling, then more shuffling, and then dealing. It's just too good an effect not to do, regardless of the one trick-pony stack.

Greg
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
There are some great effects out there that depend on a one-trick-pony stack. I am interested to learn how often the serious cardicians out there take the trouble to perform them.

In LAS VEGAS KARDMA, Allan Ackerman observed that he did not perform tricks that required gaffs as often as tricks that could be done with an unprepared deck of cards. The same phenomenon obviously applies to elaborate stacks.

Perhaps we can broaden the thread from stacks we take the trouble to perform to set up, to awesome tricks that require an extensive set up.

Sam the Bellhop (Malone's version)
Further Than That (Stewart James)
Vernon's Poker Deal (Dai Vernon)

I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

The great Mike Skinner originally memorized a stack so that he could perform two tricks he otherwise rarely had the chance to perform. One was from THE AMATEUR MAGICIAN'S HANDBOOK and the other was Vernon's Poker Deal. If anyone is looking to create a stack, you can build it around some monster stack trick. One obvious problem is that a lot of these stacks might not look sufficiently random if spread face-up, so you might have to faro to get into it.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Definitely my kind of thinking Cain

One of my favorite routines is based on Vernon's Poker Deal. I perform it all the time using my own stack, and have a version for the Aronson stack as well. It escapes the one-trick pony stack problem by resetting completely meaning you can do just as Skinner did and work a memorized deck set and still be able to perform this great effect.

Greg
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Zedd
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
270 Posts

Profile of Zedd
Hi Greg,

do you think you could pm me your routine from the Aronson stack? Smile

Best regards,

Zedd
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
Considering how much time we put into our practice, stacking a pack of cards isn't exactly time consuming. Unless you're table hopping, then I can see the point of routines that require a stack.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Stacks that serve for multiple effects or even a whole routine can be strong tools for the proverbial toolbox. Rusduck's The Cardiste is full of stacked work (mostly gambling related but not all) that is structured to cover multiple effects comprising an entire routine. If you're interested in getting the most bang from a given stack I would strongly recommend checking it out. Even if you never use the routines as written it can spur your thinking to come up with creative ways of getting more from a stack than just one trick.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2014, Steven Keyl wrote:
Rusduck's The Cardiste is full of stacked work (mostly gambling related
but not all) that is structured to cover multiple effects comprising an
entire routine.

^This. Aronson's uses one stack from Rusduck. There's a full deck stack
in there that's awesome that one day I'll look more closely into

And this: http://www.benjoffe.com/holdem is interesting.

Bob Farmer has some neat stuff too.

I'm really curious what Doug Dyment has come up with for Quickerstack.
I'll check to see if it's been added as a supplement when I get home.
If not, I know he has further work on it.

I wrote a post asking about stacks, asking about which ones can be
blended and which cannot. I'm still really interested in exploring this.
I think it would be super handy to have a chart/ program that can create
a stack that has all or most wanted properties desired by the querent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » One-Trick Stacks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL