The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Dobson vs David Penn - Card to Perspex Box (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
OZ_Muenster
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of OZ_Muenster
Item can be examined is no reason to buy it, for me at least. I don't see any advantage of Wayne's box to the already existing boxes. What I like of Penn's box is, that you can show the box empty and load it in front of spectators eyes. That gives some very interesting possibilities.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, Tarik Flash wrote:
I am an amateur magician and hobbyist so not a worker.

In that case your opinion doesn't count. Sorry. Pros and experienced workers only please.

That's a bit harsh Jamie! Smile
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Out of context yes.

However as part of the flow of conversation on page one of this thread it is not harsh.

You're obviously trying to do wonder words or something.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Waiting for a reviewcomparison between the 2 versions.

I don't see how the "vs" would help, especially of the methods are different.

- Feras
mpilkey
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of mpilkey
Just my opinion. I have always loved card to box. When clarity box came out, I immediatky purchased it. I love it and use it during all my parlor shows. When I saw david penn's mystery solved I was amazed! I never really thought of the sticker on clarity box a issue or hinderance, especially in a prediction situation which is what I use it for. The thing that appealed to me for mystery solved is its compact and good for close up, and the fact you can "place" the prediction in the box during the presentation, and the added part with Peter turner is an amazing bonus! Honestly their is nothing I like about 3sixty. Simply because of the requirement of the bag. It's pretty much limiting you to a table.
And as far as handing it out, it's honestly not necessary. Why??? Because it's a clear box!!! They can see it's empty. They will not expect that it's a gimmick. The justification of a prediction being isolated in full view in a box is good enough. When you take out s deck of cards do you hand the box out to be examined?? Do people ask to examine it? No! In my opinion anyone who wants to hand out props when it's not necessary or is worried about it must not have much experience working professionally. Not saying anything bad about 3sixty, it's just not for me. I think mystery solved is best.
SIRIously Mental available from me directly

Mike@chattanoogamagic.com
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
I know how all the versions work, but my feelings it the concept it changed so much, because unlike the 'Mystery box' there was mystery the audience doesn't know how the card gets in the box, but in these clear versions there just is no way it could be the same, which most people will likely say "I didn't see the switch"; I used the clarity box for a bit, (used the dollar version) same weird feeling. I could see the use of a prediction, but card in the box is a completely different effect. Just my two cents...
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I think what some magicians overlook at times is "why am I getting them to sign said item and what does it achieve?". In the context of a clear box; getting a card signed completely changes tthe way the trick is perceived and as many hae said; changes the question to "how did he switch the card".

I still don't really know why you'd use a box like this for the location of a signed card, unless you showed it empty first and then covered it with something. In my opinion the clear box lends itself perfectly to holding a prediction for soemthing like a confabulation routine or if you want to go down the card route; a card prediction.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, Paul S Wingham wrote:
I think what some magicians overlook at times is "why am I getting them to sign said item and what does it achieve?". In the context of a clear box; getting a card signed completely changes tthe way the trick is perceived and as many hae said; changes the question to "how did he switch the card".

I still don't really know why you'd use a box like this for the location of a signed card, unless you showed it empty first and then covered it with something. In my opinion the clear box lends itself perfectly to holding a prediction for soemthing like a confabulation routine or if you want to go down the card route; a card prediction.

Have to agree more of a puzzle than a magic trick !
C.J.Magic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of C.J.Magic
I didn't care for Mr. Dobson's 3Sixty ( I do respect the thought behind it ). So for me it's Mystery Solved. 3Sixty seems like the trick you create before refining it, having a breakthrough and coming up with Mystery Solved.

I use Mystery Solved mostly for mental effects. When I've used it for card magic, I have the card in the box have a different color back then the deck in play.

I wouldn't cover it with a silk or cloth. The beauty of Mystery Solved is that it is just a clear box to isolate the card. The retention of vision when dumping the card out, has the box looking just what it should be: a clear, empty box. A box that someone was just holding.

It also looks like a natural prop. Go to one of the big craft stores and you'll see a variety of clear boxes, different sizes, used to hold bead supplies and the like.
jefferson8888
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jefferson8888
Mystery solved is much better than 3sixty... the only thing I don't like with the mystery solved is the size of the box and the folded card inside. I think it is a little bigger than it is supposed to be.
jefferson8888
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jefferson8888
By the way who released first? mystery solved or 3sixty? just curious.
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
Paul...in your answer about signing the card.. in my presentation is to find it by touch...behind my back. That is the reason for signing. The use of the box has been used a couple different ways in my presentations...firstly for years I would announced it as Plan b if anything went wrong...of course it would and I would find the wrong card..sorta a suckered trick for table hopping... But in a full show I would 2 use it as back in time effect... I won't explain my routine..it's just to good to text in a forum. But be assured it's far from a simply card location.

The clear box is just way impossible they know you have to switch it. I would perform it with a gypsy switch and explain that gypsy would already have your money...empty the box
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
If you are still on the fence as to which one to get... I strongly suggest you hold on to your money and wait!!!

William Draven will be reviewing several clear boxes next month. Trust me when I say... just wait.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, Jon Allen wrote:
If you are still on the fence as to which one to get... I strongly suggest you hold on to your money and wait!!!

William Draven will be reviewing several clear boxes next month. Trust me when I say... just wait.

Do I sense a new box coming out 😃
bobgill
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of bobgill
I notice that Wayne's website claims he's sold out of 3Sixty. That's a lot of boxes - a lot of interest in this genre.
New box coming out? Well, look at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=159
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Dobson vs David Penn - Card to Perspex Box (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL