The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chop Cup Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I just got my first chop cup and was looking for some routine ideas... if any one knows of a good reference location for routine ideas please let me know, I have the instructions but would like to use the chop cup in other ways as well.
Help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Personally I think the chop cup is best combined with standard cups and balls. Routining is not only much easier, but hiding the gimmick is also simple if you get called on it.

I posted a five cup routine (2 are chops) in another thread a few weeks back. Here's a link if you're interested. Smile

http://www.themagiccafe.com/archive1/vie......;forum=4
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Hannes
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Hannes
Hi,
When I bought my chop cup, there came a beautiful routine with it. The beginning is a standard chop cup routine, with the appearing and disappearing of the ball. At the end the ball should penetrate a glass which is placed under the cup, with the ball on top. But only the ball vanishes. After the cup is once more set over the glas, the ball appears under it, and at the next moment a lemon appears under the chop cup Smile)
Really beautiful. Smile
Hannes
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
Sounds very like the Larry Jennings routine which Ken Brooke used to supply with his Chop Cups. Smile
That routine finished with the production of 2 lemons/baseballs etc Smile
Wallace B
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Paul Wilson has a chop cup routine on his restaurant act video. I also saw a "How to Book of Chop Cup" available from Denny's for $4.50. That may be worth looking into.

A routine that I use to great success is Mark Jennest's Jiggernaut. It's a one cup (acutally a jigger) and ball (actually an olive) routine with two corks as the final load. It is an excellent routine that you may want to check out.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
Jiggernaut is excellent and maybe someone can help me out. I am trying to find a small fake eye ball to use as a final load. I cannot find these anywhere. Anyone got a track on something like this?
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
The routine I use (and supply) with my "Coffee Chop"(tm) is a standing, no table version where all the magic happens first on my outstreched hand and finally on the spectator's outstreched hand.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Rover
View Profile
New user
Arizona
49 Posts

Profile of Rover
Hey Variable75 -

You mention you can't find an eyeball for your chop cup routine.

Check here:

http://www.gagworks.com/gwp_0048.htm

They have those "floating eyeball" gags for $.99 - might be just what you are looking for.

By the way, I am no way affiliated with that site!
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I am using a very nice routine "The Working Professional's Chop Cup" by Jim Sisti.

you can find it at:

http://www.magicmenu.net/store.html
Tony Chapparo
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
I love the chop cup, I cannot say enough about it. To be honest I think it has the potential to be a stronger effect than the cups and balls. It is much more direct and as a result leaves itself open for straightforward magic. I think when doing a chop cup you should create your own routine. When you do something you've created you have a better understand of the motivation for each move, you're more likely to take some personal satisfaction in the effect as well.
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
Gary Ouellet published a great two cup
(1 chop 1 regular)routine called "The Silver Goblets." Really nice routine, the only draw back is it must be done seated.
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi Phred.

Where did Ouellet publish it? I really appreciate his work, and his "main" book (Close-up Illusions). I am interested in collecting others of his papers.

Thanks

Stefano

Stefano Mambretti
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Stefano,

Gary Ouellet's "Two Goblets" was published as a manuscript quite a number of years ago. It's still available for purchase from the Camirand Academy of Magic:

http://www.camirandmagic.com/mm01_4.html

Regards,

John
"One arrow. One life."
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
Stefano:
I agree; Close Up Illusions, is one of my favourites. I had heard he was working on a second book. I guess we won't get to see it.
Camirand carries all of Ouellet's other products as well. They are all high quality.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
does the purchased routine provide what you would consider good patter to go with the moves?

thanks,
frank

Quote:
On 2002-06-24 16:59, magic_escapes wrote:
I am using a very nice routine "The Working Professional's Chop Cup" by Jim Sisti.

you can find it at:

www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Depasco
View Profile
New user
Aalen/Germany
6 Posts

Profile of Depasco
Hi,

there is a nice Demo-Video available on the German Shop of Christian Jedinat. Here`s the link (Mediaplayer required):
http://www.jedinat.com/upload/chop_cup_dsl.wmv
Greetings
Depasco
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
That's a pretty good routine Mr. Jedinat has there. Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Quote:
On 2002-07-11 01:12, fstarsinic wrote:
does the purchased routine provide what you would consider good patter to go with the moves?

thanks,
frank
Quote:
On 2002-06-24 16:59, magic_escapes wrote:

you can find it at:

It does come with some patter but it is a good idea to come up with your own to suit your own unique style.

Best of luck!
Tony Chapparo
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Great Video!
Thank you so much, until now, I have not even seen anyone perform a chop cup routine..
that is basically the one provided with the instructions, but now that I have seen it, it looks much better than it reads.. I will give it a shot and work on some original patter...
Thanks again
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chop Cup Routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL