The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » 'Charlie Chaplin' Stage Show (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MadLad Designs
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MadLad Designs
Just throwing this out there about an idea I had a while ago.

It's a stage routine centered around a 'Charlie Chaplin (CC)' type character.

Imagine the stage looked like a back alley from the 1950's, garbage cans, boxes, papers, etc..

The tune 'The Entertainer' is playing throughout the show, which is otherwise silent.

Along comes (CC) looking through the bins / boxes for something to eat, he makes a makeshift table by putting a couple of boxes together and starts pulling things out of the bins like empty tins, a 'cartoon type' fish bone, etc.

He pulls out a piece of paper that is sticky and manages to pull it off his hand, as he rummages further he brings out a discarded wand, which sticks to his hand.

As he flicks his hand to unstick the wand something magical happens (I'm not sure what though).

CC realizes that by 'waving' the magic wand he can preform magic, he manages to pull it from his hand and then proceeds to create a great feast from empty things, transforming things, a whole host of magical miracles.

When he's finished the table is festooned with edible goodies and then sits down to enjoy the meal only to be stopped by a policeman who happens to be patrolling the alley. Try as he might the policeman won't let CC have anything and moves him on his way.

Just as CC leaves the stage he lifts up his bowler hat he's had from the beginning and finds a cake there which he promptly eats before being chased off stage by the policeman.

Just though I'd share that. Smile
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
I love it! As long as you keep it nostalgic I think it could kill! I think it would be great for a short dinner show Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
MadLad Designs
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MadLad Designs
Thanks. Smile
colinj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of colinj
Have you seen Paul Romhany before? He does an amazing Chaplin magic act.
MagicSA
View Profile
New user
South Africa
67 Posts

Profile of MagicSA
Love it MadLad! Charlie is such an everlasting character and I think even modern audiences would appreciate this nostalgic trip. If one lets your mind go to other characters, I think there are many more such routines one can use.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Sounds like a winner. Do it.
Bob
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
The idea of The Tramp magically creating a meal seems like a good premise (and if there was ever a good excuse for a dancing cane effect to be used ... ) .

I think the main issue is if you have the mime skills to successfully imitate Chaplin ? It's more than just donning the mustache , the bowler hat and cane, and the baggy costume .
The premise still works for a tramp (or to be politically correct: "homeless person") who isn't necessarily based on Chaplin's tramp character.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying here: "Imagine the stage looked like a back alley from the 1950's, garbage cans, boxes, papers, etc. . Why the 1950's ? Chaplin's main body of work was produced in the period from 1914 - 1939 , with the midpoint being about 1927 . So your back alley set would need to look like it's from the 1920's or 1930's. Joplin's 'The Entertainer' might work ok , but is rather overused I think . There's a much wider selection of Scott Joplin's works that you could use if you want ragtime music . ( check out The Complete Works of Scott Joplin , played by Richard Zimmerman ) . Chaplin's own tastes and use of music in scoring his films tended to lean on English music hall tunes, sentimental ballads and other popular music from the 1900's - 1920 . Ragtime would work , but try something other than "The Entertainer" .

Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
This can be a really good routine.

You might want to check out Paul Romhany's CC Act. He has a solid CC act and I have seen it live at a lecture. I hope you will be inspired to bring your act to fruition.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What David Todd said.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
I like the sticky hand idea.... that is is the reason he flicks the wand.
I guess the misers dream could work well here. Gone from being a "tramp" to having a lot of food, wealth and new clothes ....surprise costume changes
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, Zlwin Chew wrote:
This can be a really good routine.

You might want to check out Paul Romhany's CC Act. He has a solid CC act and I have seen it live at a lecture. I hope you will be inspired to bring your act to fruition.

First time, I saw Paul Romhany's act I couldn't tell the difference. His impression of Charlie" Chaplin is baffling good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » 'Charlie Chaplin' Stage Show (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL