The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » First Deliverable! What to charge? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
I've got my first order for "deliverables," something I've never done before.

It's for 14 copies of a figure that'll take me about 5-6 minutes to make - possibly slightly faster once I get crankin'. The figure uses 8 balloons (260s, 160s, and rounds). I'm going to provide at least a couple of extra figures.

So I'm wondering what to charge for this. I'll also be delivering them to the party, but that's just a few miles from here. And the clients are friends. They are aware that they're my first paid balloon deliverable.

Thinking of charging $50 for this. but I'm most interested in hearing from experienced people who think it ought to be priced higher or lower, and on what basis.

Thank you for any opinions!

Josh
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
All depends on the precieved value. I can twist 8 balloons into a giant knot but it does not mean its worth anything. Could you provide a picture of what you are making?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
My minimum charge is 100 sea shells. Smile
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Without knowing the figures you're making it's hard to say. Also are they to be given out to the guests, or are they decor pieces?

Since they're friends I understand not wanting to charge too much, but you run the risk of undervaluing your work. If you made 2 'extra' that would be 50*16 = $3.12 each which, to me, is way too low even for friends. However if your friends can be trusted not to reveal what they paid, and you feel strongly that you might get other work in the future, it might be worth it.

Viewing at it another way you're looking at 2-2 1/2 hours total time, including delivery. Figuring $8.00 for the balloons it's $50 - $8. = $42. * 2.5hrs = $16.8 per hour.

Having said all that what you're providing is unique and should be valued for what it is. Anyone can tie 6 helium balloons to a weight but few can do what we do. One of the worst things you can do is have people see that you're willing to work for too little.

I think that Paddy's 100 'sea shells' is fair considering they're friends. If not for that I'd charge a minimum of $10. per figure plus a delivery/materials fee of $25., for a total of $165. I've done many parties where there were only 10 kids resulting in the hosts paying $15-20 per figure with no problem.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Thank you all for the perspective!

I definitely do not want to devalue my work (been there, done that, decades ago). These are "sheep bracelets" a la Barak Dagan's "Wowables."

Click here to view attached image.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2014, Josho wrote:
Thank you all for the perspective!

I definitely do not want to devalue my work (been there, done that, decades ago). These are "sheep bracelets" a la Barak Dagan's "Wowables."

Very cute.

Having seen what you're making, and that they're for friends, I'd go with the 100 seashells which comes to 6.25 seashells each delivered.

Good luck.
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Give your friends a break. 60-70 bucks or so. Just enjoy what you are doing. Maybe more will come from it.......just my 2 cents worth. We are pro's ,but don't get rich off one gig.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I would go with what Trois said. Friends helping friends.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
I went with $60 (about $4 apiece), along with the agreement to not discuss the price with anyone. Smile They're friends and it's my first job, and I don't even feel like a professional yet as I don't have appropriate business cards yet (they all talk about magic). But it's just this once, to thank them for being my inaugural job.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. You gave me a lot to think about, and a lot to keep in mind as I move along.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Nice decision Josho.

Do you have a picture of the flock?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
I will! I need to deliver them the morning of the 21st, so I'll take a few shots before I drive 'em over!
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Well? Pics? Smile
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
I should've done that a long time ago, shouldn't I have?

Here's a close-up of one, just before getting her flower.

Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Here's one with the flower:

Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Here's the whole flock, ready for delivery!

Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
And, at the last moment, they asked if I could do three big spiders to be hung on the walls (how that tied in with sheep, I was never quite clear on...).

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Cool Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » First Deliverable! What to charge? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL