The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Performing for friends and family is WEIRD. (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
theocreswell
View Profile
New user
Surrey, UK
61 Posts

Profile of theocreswell
They may not be enjoyable, but they are so useful. They are badly behaved and don't listen, they pick apart what you are doing, they don't react, but they are honest. My family have seen all my magic and can compare the good and the bad. Ultimately they can only make you better so why not?

I think you can get a good reaction from friends as long as you have the shock factor and you seem excited yourself. Magic that has very little method is great too, they seem to get bored by anything that isn't totally streamlined.

Interesting topic!
-T
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Best reactions always come from strangers.

The performing environment for hobbyists and professionals is so vastly different that I often think that they have very little performing advice to give to each other, much like the difference between those who perform for laypeople and those who perform for magi. Whole different ball of wax.

For example, the patter that is presented as essential for the worker is often a bad move for the hobbyist performing for those who know him well - entirely different presentational styles are required. And the limitations are different too. The worker has to worry about stuff like dress, angles, lighting and projecting from a stage; the hobbyist has to worry about the inevitable examination of props and uncooperative or highly antagonistic spectators. The whole thing requires different tricks, different techniques, different patter, different style. I wish there were more books written for the 'modern real world amateur' rather than a lot of stuff being aimed at the 'working professional'. Smile

Nor am I convinced that the different environment is useful in helping you develop your magic. Not only does it not translate into the working environment, but nor is it good for developing the self-confidence you need as a performer. I'm probably recommend that beginners steer clear of family and close friends for quite some time.
fogelka
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of fogelka
I'm going to be visiting a lot of family this summer. They're scattered around the country. In some cases, we'll meet in a central location.

I have this idea that I think will be a lot of fun, and will overcome the negatives of performing for family. Instead of just me performing some effects, I am going to provide simple tricks to each person ahead of our get-togethers. Each person, young or old, will perform their effect. I will have plenty of time in advance, to tutor them via phone or Skype. It should be a lot of fun to see how "into" it each person gets, and how each approaches the challenge. They will all be assured that there's no reason to worry if they "mess up", because it's all in fun.

When I do my stuff, probably the next day, I think everyone will be more engaged and, I would imagine, more likely to allow themselves to be amazed. I'm also kind of hoping that at least one or two might develop a real interest in the performing side of magic.

Does this sound like fun?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Depends how into magic your family are, lol Smile

Let us know how it goes.
fogelka
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of fogelka
I've actually been getting some negative feedback on this idea from some fellow magicians. They make some very good points, but I really want to try this. Based on their feedback, though, I may modify the idea. Instead of expecting everyone to do a magic trick, I will probably suggest that they do something related to a talent that they already have. If they don't have anything, or want to try magic anyway, then they'll get a trick and some support from me. So, it would allow everyone to be comfortable and we may have some variety instead of an all magic activity.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
My friends and family do not and never WILL see me as "a magician" (even though they are keenly aware that I am)..to them, I will always be just "Doug."

"A prophet is without honor in his own country.", so the problem has been around for centuries.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
I honestly cannot even get a useful reaction from my wife. It's really al about how interested they are in magic. She would never go to a magic show and she did not even care at all before meeting me some 18 years ago. My kid... that's another story. He is fascinated and will ultimately be a very useful test. He also can perform a few trick, but being 7 years old I don't want to spoil all the magic just yet Smile.
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
mr_misdirection
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of mr_misdirection
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2018, andrea.corelli wrote:
I honestly cannot even get a useful reaction from my wife. It's really al about how interested they are in magic. She would never go to a magic show and she did not even care at all before meeting me some 18 years ago. My kid... that's another story. He is fascinated and will ultimately be a very useful test. He also can perform a few trick, but being 7 years old I don't want to spoil all the magic just yet Smile.

My wife is pretty much the same, however, she saw me perform at a party last month and after it said to me "that was amazing." She was more interested in how I performed it rather than the effects themselves. I had centred the final trick around the host of the party and rather than a "bang" ending it was an emotional one. That's when my wife realised that I wasn't just all about the laughs when performing.

But I will say, if she likes a trick it's staying in the act because she has an incredible empathy for what others like.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Performing for friends and family is WEIRD. (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL