The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Kings (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Im honestly just in awe. I really try not to bring negativity to this site but WOW does everyone realize that we are never happy to see anyone on TV doing magic? We find a way to hate on every single thing that we see, as if we could do better. Mondo Magic, T.H.E.M, Celebracadabra, Criss Angel, Dynamo, David Blaine, Worlds Greatest Magic, Carbonero effect and even Wizard Wars have been butchered on this site. The only time we have something nice to say is when something worse or by opinion perceived to be worse comes out and then you realize that you like what you were just crying about a week ago. These guys are just starting out in the TV side of things. Anyone that has been to Fantasmas can at least be honest that Magick Balays has some serious skills and knowledge when it comes to the arts. Not only that but has been mentored by some very big names in the New York Circuit. We have seen but a few episodes and are CRYING! that they are using commercial effects that anyone can buy.

SERIOUSLY! How many times have we read here about how upset we are that they didn't do REAL WORLD effects?

Yet, you see a David Blaine episode and all you can do is Google which effect that was, where can I get it, is it that clean and what have you.

Now, please do not reply with your "I'VE NEVER DONE THAT" comments cause you are missing the point. This is not directed to any one individual so if you choose to be personally attacked by my comment that is your issue to deal with. Im just acknowledging that all we do is complain about something that really isn't that bad and is still bringing magic to TV.

Look I am not saying that the show doesn't need work, but at least give it time. No magic show will ever live up to what we see in our Demos and product trailers. If they were, all we would do is cry about all the editing. I know everyone has the right to their opinion and I am not insulting anyone. Hey this is my opinion on the matter and that is all that it should be taken as.

But the hate on this site recently is real. "A HATER SEES A MAN WALK ON WATER AND HE WILL SAY ITS BECAUSE HE CANT SWIM!"
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, Ba Ba Booey wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, Slackerking wrote:
Watched the second episode tonight, ... Easily the worst magic show I've ever seen. Thank god for Wizard Wars, which is the polar opposite.

Apparently, you haven't seen "Troy Magic" on Tuesdays. Smile

I enjoyed Troy waaaay more than Close Up Kings. He's at least got a charismatic personality.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2015, paisa23 wrote:
Im honestly just in awe. I really try not to bring negativity to this site but WOW does everyone realize that we are never happy to see anyone on TV doing magic? We find a way to hate on every single thing that we see, as if we could do better. Mondo Magic, T.H.E.M, Celebracadabra, Criss Angel, Dynamo, David Blaine, Worlds Greatest Magic, Carbonero effect and even Wizard Wars have been butchered on this site. The only time we have something nice to say is when something worse or by opinion perceived to be worse comes out and then you realize that you like what you were just crying about a week ago. These guys are just starting out in the TV side of things. Anyone that has been to Fantasmas can at least be honest that Magick Balays has some serious skills and knowledge when it comes to the arts. Not only that but has been mentored by some very big names in the New York Circuit. We have seen but a few episodes and are CRYING! that they are using commercial effects that anyone can buy.

SERIOUSLY! How many times have we read here about how upset we are that they didn't do REAL WORLD effects?

Yet, you see a David Blaine episode and all you can do is Google which effect that was, where can I get it, is it that clean and what have you.

Now, please do not reply with your "I'VE NEVER DONE THAT" comments cause you are missing the point. This is not directed to any one individual so if you choose to be personally attacked by my comment that is your issue to deal with. Im just acknowledging that all we do is complain about something that really isn't that bad and is still bringing magic to TV.

Look I am not saying that the show doesn't need work, but at least give it time. No magic show will ever live up to what we see in our Demos and product trailers. If they were, all we would do is cry about all the editing. I know everyone has the right to their opinion and I am not insulting anyone. Hey this is my opinion on the matter and that is all that it should be taken as.

But the hate on this site recently is real. "A HATER SEES A MAN WALK ON WATER AND HE WILL SAY ITS BECAUSE HE CANT SWIM!"

I agree with you across the board, though I'm certainly hating on this show. My problem with this particular show is that I'm not the most charismatic guy in any room, but I'm pretty sure I'm more charismatic and could perform wrote versions of a number of these illusions equally as poorly as these guys and I'm a very mediocre hobbyist. And yes, Magic may be much more gifted than the sidekicks but he's got zero screen presence. Knowledge and skills don't transcend the ability to make people want to watch you. As for the effects, they've rpeated some and never even make even the slightest attempt to make them their own. Carbonara is at least clever, and funny, and works them into skits and funny episodes. I realize it's unpopular to like Dynamo and Angel here on the Café, but I always enjoyed their shows and they were a big part of my interest in magic. Angel was one of the first magicians I saw that didn't look like someone's creepy, overdressed overacting relative. He was rock and roll in a industry that was decidedly not. As far as shows living up to trailers and demos, most of the shows you mentioned that I've seen far surpassed any demos I've seen. Penn and Teller never failed to flatten me, as well as many others. Wizard Wars is by far my favorite magic show ever. Absolutely love it, love the ingenuity, love the Wizards, love the competitors, love everything about it. So, I'm not a total hater, just a CUK hater Smile
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I can agree with you Slackerking. I guess my thing is I love to see magic on TV, in any form. I loved the first season of Mindfreak, then after it resorted to TV editing and many stooges to include military people that I knew on one episode turned me away from him. To date I still love to watch anything that David Blaine does, just on pure enjoyment and watching not on a magician level. Wizard Wars is a great show. I even enjoyed Celebracadabra. I just love to watch magic. Which is why I guess I'm not as hard on these guys or any show because I'm just happy to see it on tv.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
My real issue with the show (as with the others mentioned Blain, Angel, Dynamo, Troy...) is the BS "camera stunts" thrown throughout. At least Carbonara claims to be "a hidden camera magic show" "Close-Up Kings" should be all close-up. no bs levitating in front of a tombstone or card to shotgun shell. I agree they have some chops / skills (which vary in each) but It misrepresents what Close-up magic is and should be for the sake of some "shock value illusions" that can only be done thru camera tricks.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
I wasn't going to say anything but I think it's because most magicians are jealous there not the ones on TV..... Quit complaining and go get a TV show your self and do something original. Yes they do marketed effect but I'm pretty sure that some of the layman watching won't be like oh french kiss marketed effect. If you don't like their personalities that's a different story.
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
Also people don't understand how hard it is to create/preform on TV. The camera doesn't blink and people can rewind over and over and zoom in. It's a completely different era for magic.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
They lost me when of them did the "No, the clean hand" joke.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
drewski
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of drewski
I have met and seen Magick perform numerous times in NYC and I've been excited to see this show air since I first heard about it. Magick is a talented magician and a great showman.

Unfortunately, I think the script and concept is a bit dull. The concept seems really wonky and hard to follow. I got bored with the first few minutes. I personally do close up and I know it's hard to film, but I feel like the camera fails to capture the tricks or the magicians well. The focal camera point seems to be strictly on the spectators and it loses the tv viewers who want to watch the show for the magic. I felt like I was watching reactions rather than experiencing a presentation of close up magic.

I think the pitfalls of the show are mostly on the production side of things and not the magicians themselves. I still tune in each week hoping to see a fun show, but I'm kinda losing interest...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I do not "hate" and I am certainly not jealous, as I stated (and still stand by) I am tired of ALL TV MAGICIANS calling their shows "street magic" or "close up" and doing these "camera only" set well in advance effects. I believe all three of these guys have great skills in close up and mentalism. Probably Majick is the better of the three followed by Johnny then Loki (my opinion so far) and even with all I dislike about the show, I watch it every week to support TV magic. I even like that they use some newer commercial effects like WOW and French Kiss (although once was enough). It reminds me a lot of the first David Blain show "Magic Man" he did effects that any kid who could reach the counter at a magic shop and Had a couple hundred bucks would be sold first trip in the store. But the beauty of that was... You could go out the next gig and do most of the stuff they just saw on TV a few days ago and it made you look like a better magician in the eyes of the spec.

The Carbonara Effect is awesome because it is not called a "close up magic show" it is billed as a hidden camera magic show, and it is what it says. Even wizard wars stretches boundaries but it does what they advertise. The magicians must create an "act" using specifically set props. And they mostly do a fine job.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I'm definitely not a "hater of magic." I LOVE watching good magic on TV. Troy and Close-up Kings are not good magic, I'm sorry.

I loved the Carbonaro Effect and Wizard Wars. They were both very entertaining. I loved watching Penn & Teller: Fool Us. I even liked most of "Masters of Illusion" despite the choppy editing and bang, bang, bang effects.

To me, Troy is not charismatic. He makes David Blaine seem jacked up on coffee, and I do enjoy Blaine's old magic specials. I saw Magick in New York once, and he was terrific. I do not like the show he is on. It seems it's all "Look what I can do!"

I'm not jealous of bad magic on tv. To say that you support any and all magic on tv no matter how awful it is, well, that's a bit dumb, in my book. Have a little bit of taste and discernment.

However, if you like those shows, good on you. I'm happy for you. I'm glad you embrace diversity (unless that diversity goes against your own opinion).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, FrankieF wrote:
I wasn't going to say anything but I think it's because most magicians are jealous there not the ones on TV..... Quit complaining and go get a TV show your self and do something original. Yes they do marketed effect but I'm pretty sure that some of the layman watching won't be like oh french kiss marketed effect. If you don't like their personalities that's a different story.

So anyone without a positive opinion is jealous of the people on TV?

Does this hold true of all things? If I think a singer is bad am I jealous? Is this an across the board statement?

What a load of nonsense this really is. Sorry but to just automatically assign emotions to people based on their dislike of a particular show is a serious logical fallacy.

It seems as if according to your logic the show can not just be bad on it's own merits. How silly. If the show is bad are the people who don't like it jealous?

Are the only ones allowed to be unhappy with the show those who have shows of their own? Is that how this all works? Sorry but none of this holds up.

I have not taken a position on the show at all. Wizard Wars I do not like the format or the concept in general. I do like Penn and Teller but not enough to watch the "reality tv" format of the show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, FrankieF wrote:

So anyone without a positive opinion is jealous of the people on TV?

Does this hold true of all things? If I think a singer is bad am I jealous? Is this an across the board statement?

What a load of nonsense this really is. Sorry but to just automatically assign emotions to people based on their dislike of a particular show is a serious logical fallacy.

It seems as if according to your logic the show can not just be bad on it's own merits. How silly. If the show is bad are the people who don't like it jealous?

Are the only ones allowed to be unhappy with the show those who have shows of their own? Is that how this all works? Sorry but none of this holds up.

I have not taken a position on the show at all. Wizard Wars I do not like the format or the concept in general. I do like Penn and Teller but not enough to watch the "reality tv" format of the show.

No I did not say that "anyone without a positive opinion is jealous of the people on TV". Your putting words in my mouth. But generally magicians see the magician doing a trick on tv and if they know how its done think," Wow this guys not good, if he's doing that then I should be on there instead of him."
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I got through most the New York episode, but had to turn it off when they did the park blanket transposition illusion. Why is this show called "close-up kings" again?

1. When the production crew cannot get its own air order right, when there are only 8 episodes. I see trouble ahead...

2. Illusions are for illusionists. They are labelled as close-up workers and should be doing that.

3. Every trick they do is by-the-instructions, of the shelf dealer magic effects. No originality what-so-ever.

4. They didn't even advance beyond the norm. Extreme Burn was exactly like we have seen it a thousand times before. Why not do a fire wallet, show the burnt notes and then restore them. Make the trick seem different at least.

5. Very unlikeable characters. They were not only boring, but the cheesy pick-up artist style they were going for was degrading and insulting.

For those wanting to watch decent magic on TV, here are my favourites:

1. Derren Brown - Trick of the Mind, Live Shows
2. Breaking Magic - Seasons 1&2
3. Penn and Teller - Fool Us
4. Wizard Wars
5. Criss Angel - Mindfreak (Seasons 1-3 only)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Aside from Fool Us I would not any of that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Kings (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL