The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Management (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Hi. I would like to hear some opinions on this:

When you have a routine that uses ungimmicked coins that are switched for gimmicked coins, how do you keep the coins and how do you manage them? I like to keep things simple and easy to manage, so I tend to keep both gimmicked coins and ungimmicked coins in the same pouch and then palm the gimmicked coins while I hand out the ungimmicked coins. I then do a false transfer and ditch the ungimmicked coins as I put the pouch in my pocket.

Any other thoughts?

KJ
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
That chimes with me too; I have also used a gravity hold out in the past. Sean Goodman's new gizmo works nicely for the purpose, and is far less hassle as well as not requiring sleeves.

Tony Miller's Möbius Wallet, which is perfect for coins, also features a hold out option, and it's motivated as a prop by its nature. It is a very deceptive item; also, it is the only coin purse I have ever or will ever own, as I just find coin purses... well... a bit... 'girly', for want of a better word.

Anyways, what you outlined in your initial post works for me too. No messing, no special prep needed.

Cheers,

Tom
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Yes, I like Sean's Servante. I don't have the Mobius wallet. I'll have to check it out.

I do have the coolest leather coin pouch. I have tried to find it without any success. It is a simple leather square with a flap that has a hole in it that secures to a stud attached to the leather.

Like you, I don't use "coin purses" because they seem way too girly.

I wish I had bought several of the leather pouches. They are not that big, large enough to hold around 4 dollar size coins.

Cheers,

KJ
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thanks for the steer, I'll check those out.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I'm thinking I may have purchased it from Etsy, but I don't see anything quite like it anymore. It's made of pretty heavy leather and has that wonderful old fashioned leather smell.

Here is a pretty cool, simple leather triangle pouch from Etsy. Price is pretty reasonable too:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/119851840/t......=gallery

I am thinking about making a "boat" shaped leather pouch with a round Velcro attached "hatch" on top for my Hopping Halves routine that involves a handsome Silver Blond haired American man (US Kennedy Half dollar) traveling by boat to England and meeting a beautiful redhead English woman (British Penny). I thought I could use the custom pouch to hold the props and be part of the routine. Perhaps the pouch might even be gaffed in some way so the regular coins end up in the "boat".

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Here is another nice looking leather coin pouch:

http://www.walletgear.com/folding-coin-case-four-pocket.html

KJ
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Tony millers mobius wallet works well. Tony's real mans coin wallet also has a hold out.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, 1KJ wrote:
Here is another nice looking leather coin pouch:

http://www.walletgear.com/folding-coin-case-four-pocket.html

KJ

Although this has nothing to really do with the OP
While these coin wallets seem to look really good I've found that you cannot get very many coins into it and still get it closed with the snap. A Scotch & Soda set and a Hopping Halves set along with a few other single gaffed coins in the remaining slots will not allow it to snap shut. I think if it had Velcro instead of a snap it would work much better.
I use an SD card wallet from Targus with 6 slots and a zipper... seems to work no matter how thick the coin sets are. I modified it with Tyvek flaps so the coins do not slip out of the slots while inside the case.
http://www.amazon.com/Targus-TGC-MWC-10-......0509VG1S

For coin/pocket management I use a piece of black foam sheet that you can pick up at Walmart in the craft section or most craft stores as a partition in my pocket to keep the gaffed and un-gafffed coins separated. Cut it to fit the inside pocket contour and drop it inside. It weighs nothing and is stiff enough to stand up in the pocket but flexible enough not to show an impression of it through the fabric.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Taterini,

You are right about the size.

I am still trying to determine if I want several coins for several effects in one pouch or small pouches with just the coins I need.

For example, I have a routine that I call "My Coin Collection" that uses just two coins. I keep them (as one) in a leather coin holder that barely holds just the two coins in a modified coin collector sleeve. The routine is more humorous when I show my entire collection as apparently one coin from one tiny pouch. This routine alone has led me to think in terms of having separate pouches for each routine. I really only do a couple coin routines unless I am borrowing coins.

KJ
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Here's a keychain coin holder not intended to be used as such but it will hold a Hopping Halves set or a Scotch & Soda set or equal number of coins with the same thickness and diameter as these sets... but no more than that.
You can find it (or something similar to it) in most any well stocked guitar shop.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LEV-A66C-LIST
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
Secret Servante on Penguin.
Mick-L-Hinman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Mick-L-Hinman
I keep one pocket just for my coins, it works well.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, Ollie wrote:
Secret Servante on Penguin.

Secret Servante is tremendous!, I second that one.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, Mick-L-Hinman wrote:
I keep one pocket just for my coins, it works well.

How do you "manage" the coins? Are they all ungimmicked coins? I do some magic with ungimmicked coins, but I have a few routines that are just so powerful with gimmicked coins (A routine using double deception, a Hopping Halves routine, several using an x-sh*ll). In all of these routine, I like to keep the coins in a certain order to make the routine flow better. My hopping half routine uses a special leather pouch that looks like a boat, my double deception routine (very different from the one in the DVD) uses the small leather pouch that just hold the apparent "one" coin, and I use the little rubber pouch that came with imagination coins for a variety of routines like coins across, coin through table, coin through glass (similar routine as Dean Dill's Triangle routine), etc.

I generally keep ungimmicked coins (and perhaps a double header) just in my pocket as Mick said.

I think this is one of those threads where it has been helpful for me to conclude that using separate coin pouches for some effects, just coins in the pocket for others, and occasionally using something like a secret servante works just fine.

KJ
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I think there are two topics potentially. How are they stored? and how are they managed during walk around performance?

During walk around, I keep ungaffed coins (no purse) in my left trouser front pocket, a TTT (no purse) in my right front trouser pocket (or in a holdout at the bottom edge of my suit jacket), and a jumbo coin in my back pocket. There is nothing wrong with pulling out a coin purse. It's just that in my routines, the coins are magically produced and in the very last coin act they are vanished so there is no need for me to pull out a purse. This set-up allows me to perform several different routines for the night outside of other non-coin stuff. For the guys who do lot of dinner table walk around, blocking and misdirection provides for some great stealing so it's best the coins are not in a purse if that's how you want to start your routine. If you want to start by pullin coins from a purse, that is fine as well.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Yep, a case in point is that I keep a CSB set, with an extra silver coin, in a Mobius wallet. For the routine, the gaff and the extra coin are held out initially, with only the three regular coins in the wallet. After the gaff is switched in, the copper and brass coins are stolen into the wallet as it's put away. The routine ends with seemingly three silver coins on the table, and one can then show that the copper and brass coins have travelled to the wallet, as all the coins are put away. It's a trick that makes you richer every time you do it ;-)

Anyway, as Calvin says, different storage and management.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Now if You Like In the coin production Part Of My 1 St hardbound book You will see that If I am Going To be producing My coins At the start Of a coin routine I want then right where I can find at a SEC'S time! I don't Want to be Putting some Away And take way too long With my hand in my pocket, Because Then it looks TO Much like something could be going on! SOOOOO I always Have Them in a coin Clip. the reason When I reach For then I always want them To be in the SAME Place Every Time. That way I don't wast time having To look For Them. If not and there just loose in your Pocket They mite Have rolled Around To some place in the pocket And you have to look around For them, And in some cases gather Then Up. And them there not in a stack! Smile And you have to try to palm them like that! Smile But You have them in a coin clip And your hand Know's Just Where to go every time! And no wasted Time! Smile So I think It's Better To take a Little Time before Hand And get It right Every TIME!!!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Great advice! Thanks all.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Management (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL