The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » REVIEW: Day One by Scott Cram (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MemDeck329
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MemDeck329
If you are interested in learning “Day for any Date”, this is the one to buy. For ten bucks this is a genuine bargain. If this package had only the PDF file, it would still be a bargain. In addition to the written instruction, Scott also provides videos for learning the associations between the years and the days of the week.

I encountered a little confusion between the Sun burning up things and Thor burning up things, so I changed a few associations around to fit my style. Thor is depicted as the God of Lightning, but isn’t he the God of Thunder? For some reason the videos crashed my system several times. But, no data or files were lost.

A set of drill programs allows you to judge your progress while learning. IMHO, they are not layed out intuitively. Buttons are as far from each other as possible. The slider to choose answers usually requires more than one mouse click to zero in on the desired answer. Having a “timer” to see how long it takes to answer would have been a nice addition. Besides selecting the correct “Code” for the answer, you also have to select the number of days in the month from a pull-down menu. It is set on 28 days. This requires clicking on this feature for almost EVERY question. It would be better to have the default set on 31 days.

It would have been beneficial to some if a printed list of the associations had been provided. Some like to use their own preferred pegs, etc. to form their own personal associations instead of having to view the videos over and over.

I LOVE this method so much that I had the blank monthly calendar printed on the back of my business cards. Yep, you not only give the DFAD, you also leave them with a calendar of the month (and day) of their birth, or any other date. A few Bonus Effects are provided with tips on performing a short routine.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
This is one of the finest, best value for money items I have ever bought.
the visual "learning set" and quizzes provided are fantastic.

However, I see there is another player on the block ...
The Human Calendar by Dave Mirto
Which boasts no memory work.

I just have to find out more about this ...
RichOrvec
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of RichOrvec
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2017, wulfiesmith wrote:

...However, I see there is another player on the block ...
The Human Calendar by Dave Mirto
Which boasts no memory work.

I just have to find out more about this ...

There is one review of it on Penguin, but it's not very flattering.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
If it's based on the Doomsday algorithm, then it's good stuff.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
This is my party piece for 2017, and still going strong.

Undoubtedly, this is one of the finest piece of magic I have ever bought.
For anyone who is ready to make that little extra "effort" this is a game changer.
It can be as easy as you want it to be.

For example:
what day was 11 June 2017 this year?
what day did the American Civil War start in April 12 1861?
what day did World War II end in 8 May 1945?

They just grab for their mobiles to find out I am 100% correct.
I am nearing 70 years old, and to my delight young people still delight in this routine when they see me.
Tell me what day I was born ... tell me what day I was married ...

It's just intriguing and unbelievable to everyone.
Am I some kind of savante ... great fun

Can be performed as mentalism closeup or stage ... great potential
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Day for any date for the million by Federico luduena is another great version. It's by far the easiest solution, but is done with a crib.

Once I understood the method, within 2 minutes I was able to do this with any date in the 20th and 21st century in 4 or 5 seconds flat. The crib can be fit onto a business card, or in my case the lock screen of my phone.

The is little to no memory work needed, and the simplest math that anyone can do. I highly recommend it.
thomasP
View Profile
Regular user
France
138 Posts

Profile of thomasP
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2017, tomd wrote:
Day for any date for the million by Federico luduena is another great version. It's by far the easiest solution, but is done with a crib.

Once I understood the method, within 2 minutes I was able to do this with any date in the 20th and 21st century in 4 or 5 seconds flat. The crib can be fit onto a business card, or in my case the lock screen of my phone.

The is little to no memory work needed, and the simplest math that anyone can do. I highly recommend it.

I have to say that version is the best I know too! Very fast.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I put this on another thread that dealt with Day for any Date:

By the way, no matter how you get it done, knowing the day for any date becomes a crowd gatherer when you do it. The moment you start giving out the days of the week for someone then everyone wants it done to them... even if they don't know themselves.

And then you start doing the days for people's kids... more join in. It has that kind of appeal of palm reading. Everyone suddenly wants it done.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Pleased to hear, the "Day for any Date" routine is alive and well, whatever system "gets you there".
I agree with Greg. This is a real crowd pleaser, and reputation maker. Once I start to reveal, everyone wants to take part.

To the spectator, it appears there is no way this can be done, apart from having a savant memory, which is intrigue in itself.
Plus the result can be validated immediately via a mobile phone.

Using Scott Cram's method (Day One), with no crib whatsoever, totally impromptu - if asked, I can recall any date from the 9th to 19th century - and beyond if necessary.
I got interested in this incredible phenomena by the legendary Kim Peek, for whom I have the greatest respect and admiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2T45r5G3kA
brought to the attention of the world by the film "Rain Man".
Dandin
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Dandin
It is very useful for mentalists if they do any kind of birthday divination, not to mention the fact that it could make you look like a genius.
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
I hide my iPhone in a pad of paper with a Day for Any Date App activated.

I pretend to write their birthdate at the top of the pad then use the stylus that looks like a pen to do an "instant" calculation and then name the day. So much easier and so certain.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I can say, that through my 40 years of magic performance, Day One is the finest piece of magic I have EVER bought. Now aged 67 people think of me of some kind of savant.

I am wondering if Isabella Star 3 by Peter Turner can be used to enhance this effect. Or whether it is a completely new learning curve?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Wulfie, IS3 is a ton of fun, and hits hard.
Takes some work, but absolutely worth it imo.

Now I'm torn between Day One, and Day for any date for the million..ugh.
Think I'll try Day One first. Less cribs, less headaches. (99% of the time lol)
Paul Brook has a version in one of his books if I remember correctly.
I spent some time with it, then lost steam.
These reviews/comments have me eager to give it another try.

Thx Smile

252-99HeadachesAndACribAin'tOne
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Just finished Day One. It's a steal for the price. Very well done. I'd absolutely recommend it.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
For anyone that has this, how long do you think it would take a senior, with average math skills, to learn this?
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
This is an old thread, I know ... but it is still my favourite effect.
I was 60+ when I bought it, and had it down in a week with minimum effort really.

The learning is really easy, and fun, with quizzes and tutorials.
And when you have it ... it stays with you.

It's a steal at the price.

Unlike Isabella Star ... there is no fishing.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
When the day for the chosen date is revealed from an index wallet, people just cannot believe what they have just witnesssed.
And if you had got the information from a peek wallet. Then no questions have even been asked.

Super clean effect.
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
176 Posts

Profile of lekin
Well thought-out step-by-step instructions build your confidence and complementary quizzes enhance your ability to perform. Like some of the others, I substituted some of my own mneumonics, but I was able to begin impromptu performances for family and friends within a week. A terrific package and great value.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Does anyone know if Scott Cram is a member of this forum?
I would love to know if he has ever thought of creating his own version of a Zodiac Sign reveal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » REVIEW: Day One by Scott Cram (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL