The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Wearing/Removing Rings For Coin Magic (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Pop Haydn takes his rings off and then works one into the routine:

daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
I've yet to get married, and so I don't wear any rings on me, but what do you think of this idea:
Using a ring as an opener for any coin trick, by removing your ring and explaining that you also use the ring for magic, and then changing it into a coin. This obviously makes no sense at all, but it's still surprising and magical enough for a nice, attention grabbing, opener. Then you do whatever you do with the coin, and at the end, change it back into the ring, put it back on your finger, end of transaction.
What do you think?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I like it, Daniel! Logical and magical! Smile

Doug
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, daniel116 wrote:
I've yet to get married, and so I don't wear any rings on me, but what do you think of this idea:
Using a ring as an opener for any coin trick, by removing your ring and explaining that you also use the ring for magic, and then changing it into a coin. This obviously makes no sense at all, but it's still surprising and magical enough for a nice, attention grabbing, opener. Then you do whatever you do with the coin, and at the end, change it back into the ring, put it back on your finger, end of transaction.
What do you think?

Actually, it makes all the sense in the world if you use a ring like one of these shown below.

Peter Pitchford has a routine that does just that, though I'm not sure where (if?) he has it published.
It may be the routine mentioned in P3: The Peter Pitchford Project Vol. 1. ( http://www.magicbymanipulation.com )

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpiritualFlyer

Isaach
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Isaach
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, daniel116 wrote:
What do you think?

I actually do the opposite for my ring magic (ring thing, etc.) I have a ring made out of a quarter, so I start with a quarter, turn it into a ring ( a la karate coin), do some ring magic, and then turn it back into a quarter.
Isaac Haber - Boston

youtube.com/irhaber
twitter.com/isaac_haber
instagram.com/isaac_haber

No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist.
—Oscar Wilde
Isaach
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Isaach
Greg wilson has a nice routine that using a single coin and a ring called ring fright. He teaches it on is Murphy's lecture.
Isaac Haber - Boston

youtube.com/irhaber
twitter.com/isaac_haber
instagram.com/isaac_haber

No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist.
—Oscar Wilde
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
I prefer NOT to take my rings off. I love my rings and I love coin magic, so I've found a way to avoid any talking. It's not hard, just takes a bit of adjustment. After a while it's automatic.

My wedding ring is made from a 1930's Silver Walking Liberty (yes, I have an awesome wife) the same as the coins I perform with. So I have created a Spellbound where I remove the ring and it becomes a coin then a ring again, etc etc and eventually back to a ring and I put it back on. It's a great bit of quick impromptu magic.

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Thank you again for the suggestions, everyone. I've been experimenting with routines that I can perform while still wearing the ring and altering the handling somewhat for when it gets in my way.

For example, I'm working on becoming more ambidextrous with my coin sleights and getting comfortable with the French drop in my right hand, since I really can't do it in my left while wearing my wedding ring without it talking. Last night I was in a noisy area and was able to do a one coin routine impromptu and the "clink" wasn't noticeable.

Quote:
Greg wilson has a nice routine that using a single coin and a ring called ring fright. He teaches it on is Murphy's lecture.

Quote:
So I have created a Spellbound where I remove the ring and it becomes a coin then a ring again, etc etc and eventually back to a ring and I put it back on. It's a great bit of quick impromptu magic.

These are appealing ideas for me. Mr. Salinas, I particularly like the idea of having an excuse to remove the ring to show a spellbound routine and then having the option of being able to put it back on when the magic is over for impromptu work. Most of the time when I perform it is impromptu for friends.

Thanks again, all.

Dave
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Be sure to work the return of the ring into the script of the routine. It is easy to forget a ring left on a table for a trick amidst the fun and distractions. If taking it off and putting it back on are both written into the script, it is safer for the ring in the long run.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On May 8, 2017, Pop Haydn wrote:
Be sure to work the return of the ring into the script of the routine. It is easy to forget a ring left on a table for a trick amidst the fun and distractions. If taking it off and putting it back on are both written into the script, it is safer for the ring in the long run.

Have to agree with Pop here on this, you gotta keep track of that thing cause it can get away from you when you least expect it. I have spoken on the Café at times about simply moving your ring from the ring-finger to the little finger if needed. Also, I have developed a pretty clever ring steal that requires you to do so, but I gotta tell'ya something on this...A little story! Smile

About a year ago, somehow from switching my ring from one finger to the other, I lost it, and couldn't figure out how, only that I had been doing some magic where I didn't want the coin to clink in my hand against the ring. Long-story-short, I lost the ring for more than a year or so maybe. I thought I lost it on one of my trips to the south, but miraculously (and all thanks to God), I found it one day while putting something back into my shed where I live up north.

I had long time asked God to let me find this ring ("PLEASE!"), and I truly believed I would find it one day, never lost faith that I would one day. In the meantime, I wore a similar ring for the benefit of my wife, though she was understandably not happy with me behind my carelessness with something so very important. Still, month after month I would check all around whenever I went south, sure that I would find it one day, but I did not.

About a couple of months back now, I was putting something away in my shed in the back yard up north, and I heard something clink. I first thought how could something make a sound falling upon grass? But for some reason, I turned around and saw something shiny near the corner on the concrete base floor of the shed...IT WAS MY RING! It was also a miracle, but God answered my prayer to let me find a most important piece of me. Smile

From that day to this, I try not to even remove the ring (or even move it much adjusting it from time to time) from my finger. I'm so happy to have found it, and that I actually lost it in my own backyard doing something else, means that I did not misplace it, I absolutely lost track of it so much that I lost it and didn't even know for a while that I did. What a terrible thing!

The greatest magic of all gave it back to me, and I hope not to be a part from it ever again in this life time. It makes me happy just looking at it now, and just being able to touch it again. *Oh, and my wife is very happy too, and quite amazed that it re-appeared. She remarked when I showed it to her..."How in the world...Now, that's a great trick!" Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Danwseers
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Danwseers
If you have to take it off, then check out David Harkey as he has some wonderful work on a non-gimmick ring visibly penetrating the finger. I have used it a lot, in fact I made the ring appear on my finger using Harkey's ring production to announce our wedding.

Working around the ring, I have found that when my ring is as low as it can go, then the flesh of my palm will avoid almost all contact with a coin. Only a coin coming at the ring on edge will contact. I also use the ring to tap the coin in a CoinOne style transfer.

If all fails and you do inadvertently ring;-) just say, "And that is the sound of magic folks." Then drudge right along. Kinda like missing a sleeve and keeping a straight face like no one could hear the obvious. Most people will appreciate the humor of not taking yourself too seriously.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I never wear any of my real jewelry rings when performing. I have a whole bunch of inexpensive rings I purchased from Amazon. Some bands, some signets, and the latest are the tungsten rings sold there by a vendor named King Will. The tungsten rings are beautiful and many sell for only $8 or $10. Whatever I purchase there I always make sure to order multiples of the same rings. That way I have exact duplicates for some really deceptive effects!

Here's a link to the King Will rings:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_acsd_hps......87510011

Jim
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
You can find silicone wedding rings on Amazon. Just an alternative if you feel you always need to wear something.

Dave
Reonaru
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
86 Posts

Profile of Reonaru
I had the same problem years ago ... and create a routine called "Engagement Coin" (CoInFinger) ... and this solve my problem. Send me a P.M. if you want more info ... ;-)
Leonard Rangel

@El.Mentalista

www.LEONARDRANGEL.com
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Interesting to read more ideas about wearing rings and incorporating it into coin magic. Since I initially started this topic I've improved my ability to perform ambidextrously and also learned routines or different sleights that allow me to perform routines with little or no risk of the coin clinking against my ring when I don't want it to. I've also learned a few coin routines that incorporate the ring, such as Mike Gallo's "Gaddabout Coins" from NYCMS and Gregory Wilson's Ringside as well as some ring magic that give me an excuse to take of my ring to perform a ring trick and I can put it in my pocked and go into a coin routine.

I had posted the following video a while back in a similar topic I started to help me with pocket management and how to incorporate my ring into an impromptu coin routine. If I'm asked to perform some magic by one of my students, for example, I might reach into my pocket to get ready while saying, "Gee, do you have a deck of cards? I didn't bring anything with me today. Well, why don't I show you a trick with my ring." It's easy to hold out the first coin and do the old cigar band routine, pull the coin out of the ring and put it in my pocket (getting ready for the next two coins) and go on from there. The change of the final coin to the ring makes for a framing device at the beginning and end of the trick.

http://www.wilktone.com/aiur/video/Three......a%29.mp4

The bulk of that routine if Kainoa Harbottle's "Trifecta," with some of Gallo's Gaddabout Coins to finish out.

Dave
jefkve
View Profile
New user
Orange County, CA
52 Posts

Profile of jefkve
I find when I do certain moves, I get talk, so I will generally take off my ring, but I feel like I should be able to overcome this with better technique.
BrotherJeffrey
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of BrotherJeffrey
My opener is an effect called Ring Bling. I teach it on the Blackbird Video. I use the ring to produce 2 coins and then turn the ring into a coin for 3 total and then go forward with a three coin sequence.

But some tips. For the most part, my oldest coin tricks,(before marriage) I have to take off my ring. For my new tricks, (after marriage) some have been routined where I don't have to take off my ring. It's just a different process of thinking now. Maybe you'll find that happens for you, too.

You can also get the silicone wedding bands now, you don't feel them and a black or grey one will pass off as completely normal.
Revolutionary Tools and Teaching for Coin Magicians

Have you seen Tresor?

CopelandCoins.com
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
285 Posts

Profile of Griff
Hey Wilktone thanks for sharing that! I really enjoyed it...a start, a middle and a cool ending. Well done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Wearing/Removing Rings For Coin Magic (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL