The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Ohio Magician Tim Deremer passes away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
I'm sorry to report that Ohio magician, dealer, carnival impresario, magic convention host and all 'round incredible guy, Tim Deremer has passed away. He was a big influence on me as a teenage magician in the North Canton area. He could make anyone laugh with his ready wit and always had time to share his knowledge and advice. He would drive around and pick up the young magicians and take us to magic meetings, conventions and MAK magic in Columbus and never ask for anything in return (well, he did like it if you made the occasional purchase from his magic wares). He was the driving force in magic in the Akron-Canton area for many years and I am saddened to hear of his passing.
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
So sad. He will be missed.

Ron
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tim was a good friend and good magician. I remember the last time he worked Abbott's some guys in the wings saying "he is really good". Yes he was with good old fashioned family entertainment that he had performed and honed for years. Corny at time and full of puns, it was entertaining and "G" rated.
24 Years ago, he decided that an old fashioned magic convention was needed like they used to be. One that gave friends a chance to visit, have fun, see top acts and not break the bank. The Battle of Magicians did that year after year. Lots of great acts and crazy memories. Like free haircuts in the back of the show room during a show. Or a raffle prize of a free grave site. Not only could an act die but then he had place to go. Of course, he had to use it in one year to be valid.
Crazy stuff but all part of the most fun convention around.
Ask the acts that worked the shows which were 90% real people how great it was. They asked to comeback work time and time again. Tim thought outside the box, saved people money, gave them a great convention, and made a little bit of money. National conventions could learn a lot how he produced and ran a convention.
Tim was the first brick and morter store I ever went to. He has been a big part of magic life. Whether working the carnival stuff at fairs, backstage at the Battle, or just jackpotting with each other, he will be missed.
Rest in peace, dear friend. Follow the arrows and I will see you down the road.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ace of Spades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Ace of Spades
Very sad. When I first started going to the "Battle" Tim would call me every spring to make sure I was coming and see if I would be bringing anyone with me. I've always said it was one of my favorite conventions, and Tim was a big reason why. He was a great guy and very good at what he did.
TCsteinberg
View Profile
New user
NewYawk
52 Posts

Profile of TCsteinberg
So very sad to hear. I've been to his SideShow, one of the last of the "real deals".
Will truly miss him, and miss talking with him. Will miss his hysterical outgoing voice message, "Aaawwww NUTS, missed you again!"
One of the good guys,
Rest In Peace dear friend.

Todd
~ tc ::--.---( )
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
I was just getting on here, to tell everyone how great tim's show was this year, then call him for tickets! Anyone know if the show will go on?

This years show was amazing. So amazing, I was thinking about not going anymore, because I knew it just could not be topped.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
We did Tim's Memorial Service today. Tim wanted the Battle to continue. Things had been put in motion the last couple of years with his illnesses. We are still in the sorting the things out phase but we certainly want the 25th Battle to continue Tim's Legacy.
I will keep people posted here and in other areas.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2015, hugmagic wrote:
Tim wanted the Battle to continue.

That's really good to hear. Although I was only able to attend one Battle, it was obvious to me that this was one man's vision. You can tell when a committee is running things, and this wasn't one of those. Even from just that one experience, I would rate the Battle second in coolness of all magic conventions (surpassed only by the Invocationals....ALSO one man's vision).

Building on such a tremendous foundation can lead to great things. There may be as many failures as successes, but it's all worth a try. There is so very much talent in magic's youth that we will surely see the Battle and Tim's legacy as a highlight in organized magic's history. Let the fun and games continue!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Ohio Magician Tim Deremer passes away (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL