The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Illegal magic suggestion (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Last week I saw an EBay posting for 144 Penguin lectures being sold for $4 each as downloads.
The seller was listed as being from China. Obviously it was pirated and was being sold without Penguins' knowledge,
I notified Penguin and within a week they had EBay remove the illegal offering. They emailed me to let me know they took care of it. Of course, the seller will be back and sell using a different name.

My point is that we can make a difference in the pirating industry. At least a dent.
I suggest that every time we see someone trying to sell a magic product that is obviously illegal, then notify the dealer, creator, author, etc. After that the next step is up to them. At least they are aware of someone stealing from them. Of course, the seller will be back and sell using a different name. Then report them again.
If we are all vigilant and report our findings as a large group we can help our art.
It would be great if various magic clubs united and organized an anti-piracy project. The music industry does it. So can we. It won't be 100% effective but it will make a difference.
Regards,
Ihor
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Good post! If enough of us pass up such "deals" the bottom feeders will go elsewhere. We all need to stop and consider the bigger picture- if suppliers like Penguin have their profits stolen, they either have to raise the price for the honest magician, or worse, go out of business. Plus, once the creators quit in disgust, there will be nothing left to market at any price...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Alejandro Pacheco
View Profile
New user
Spain
31 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Pacheco
Good idea bat the worst part is that you cannot report that instead you have to contact the author to report it while that person is making money Smile
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I reported it to Penguin, since it was their product.
They had it removed. After a while it was back on EBay and they had it removed again.
I haven't looked since then.
Ihor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Illegal magic suggestion (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL