The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson Magic Products Review (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I bought a 64 Kennedy half expanded shell from Johnson over 20 years ago and it's still great.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My Eisenhower Expanded even fools ME! It was spendy at $60, but man! What a gaff!

Doug
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I am still waiting for my order to arrive in my country. It takes a long time sometimes. But reading all these comments makes me wish I have ordered more from them. There were many other things I'd like to get.
Bob Magic
View Profile
New user
San Diego, California
90 Posts

Profile of Bob Magic
Hello Zlwin;

I purchased my first Johnson coin in 1972, a '64 Kennedy 'Copper/Silver' and I am still using it. I have visited their manufacturing site in Arcadia and met Kathy who still works there. I have six Johnson coin sets, a set of their solid milled cups and their brass wand which is no longer available. Johnson gives good quality at a reasonable price. Johnson sometimes offers coin sets and gimmicks that are not practical so stay with standard well known choices. Johnson coins cannot be compared with Todd Lassen's work which is far superior but is expensive.

-Bob
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
I own a Johnson flipper (Kennedy Half Dollar) that I bought used and I recently had an expanded shell custom made by them. Both are incredible and have never let me down. I'm ridiculously happy with both of my purchases and couldn't recommend them more!
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2015, Bob Magic wrote:
Hello Zlwin;

I purchased my first Johnson coin in 1972, a '64 Kennedy 'Copper/Silver' and I am still using it. I have visited their manufacturing site in Arcadia and met Kathy who still works there. I have six Johnson coin sets, a set of their solid milled cups and their brass wand which is no longer available. Johnson gives good quality at a reasonable price. Johnson sometimes offers coin sets and gimmicks that are not practical so stay with standard well known choices. Johnson coins cannot be compared with Todd Lassen's work which is far superior but is expensive.

-Bob

Thank you for your reply, Bob. It was really insightful. It's amazing to know that Johnson is such a powerhouse to build such good coin gimmicks but not many people know about them. I only discovered about Johnson while searching the forum for "best scotch and soda set" or something similar to those lines.

My order just got in today, many weeks after I bought. It is because I live in a far country. I opened the package and couldn't believe what I saw.

The coins are AMAZING. I want to buy more products from them now.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I received my order today and I couldn't be any happier. The coins are amazing. It's so solid and well made. I am sure I will be passing them on to my children's children one day. Maybe making it a family heirloom!
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Enjoy your purchase!

Now, get to practicing!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I've gotten the Scotch and Soda done. Can't wait to try it on some people! Boooyahhh!!!! Smile
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Zlwin .... Congratulations, I am glad that you are happy with your new coins. Work on getting the copper coins to turn brown for a higher contrast between them and the silver half dollar.

You might want to give the copper coins a good cleaning to start the patina process.

Good luck,
Bruce
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
I don´t have any Johnson coin set, but have his Jardine Ellis ring....such a pice of art!
A friend of mine has a Morgan shell, and we compare his fitting and coverage with the shells that I have from Schoolcraft and Lassen......both are superior, but Johnson still is the gold standard of coin gimmicks, when you put it besides a Tango one, Johnson beat it by far.
It´s a wonderful starting point for your magic coin collection

Have fun with them!
magicbrady
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magicbrady
Without question, Johnson makes the best coins out there. Pricey, but worth every penny.
jtyska
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of jtyska
I just purchased the Ultimate Silver and Copper and wanted to do a sanity check. Attempting to perform the routine described in the instructions, it would seem that that copper penny should fit loosely under the half dollar S...l but it does not. it actually gets jammed. Sent an email johnson and they said that yes that is the case (it will jam) but could not walk me through the routine. Told me to look online.

My mistake was buying directly from the vendor instead of my local magic store but I got lazy and thought I would save a trip. Won't do that again.

If anyone could confirm whether the penny should not jam. I'd be greatful. I have many of the Johnson products (scotch and soda, hopping half, etc) and have never had an issue before.

Thanks.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
The gaffed c/s coin should lock securely within the [, but not the ordinary copper coin supplied.

Are you sure you're only using the supplied one, and not just any English penny? Because it isn't really "ordinary"; it's been reduced to fit (loosely).

If the supplied copper penny is sticking, then it sounds like a rare defect, and should be exchanged.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
jtyska
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of jtyska
Great. I'm not crazy then. Thanks for replying.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I love the coin work done by Johnson's. It is very good and quite affordable. I have gotten several things from them over the years and I still have them in perfect working order…Just a great value!

Of course you can also get gaffs from top coin makers out there, but most times at much greater cost, and oftentimes just ridiculously so IMHO - But to each his own. Smile But Johnson's has always provided good work inexpensively to the masses. And for what you use these things for, it's really all you need unless you just gotta have something special-special. Smile

I still have a C/S coin and a half dollar sh*ll from Johnson's that I continue to admire greatly whenever I use them now & again. Their other trick coin sets are nice too, and they have always been a reliable source for general good quality work.

Highly Recommended!!!
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
I am with you, Mr. Boykin.

When I was starting out, the only coin gaffers seemed to be Johnson, Sterling and Sasco. In those days I opted for the higher priced Johnson products. I am glad I did. They have held up well through the years. The '64 Kennedy heads side [ is beautiful and hard to tell from other Kennedys in side by side comparison.

Just my opinion.

Jim
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
I've got csb, hopping halves, cig thru quarter, in bottle, magnetic copper silver. They all are awesome, and have helped me provide magic to people for years.If you can't fool em with these, then back to bobo with you for awhile!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson Magic Products Review (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL