The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Can anybody split cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

Profile of Rolando Santos
[quote]On 2001-11-12 10:55, J R Thomas wrote:
There is defintely a knack or art to splitting cards. Don England has a tape on how to do it and make gaffs. It's from a lecture he gave at Abbott's back in the nineties. E-mail me if you would like to get in contact with him.

Private message Marty Kaplan, he is doing lots of cool things with cards gaffs using a computer.
Marty, is a regular Cafe attendee.
Rolando
Gavin W
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Gavin W
I've just been having loads of problems for the last hour trying to split a few cards and get them as thin as possible.

I've just come up with a new method (for me anyway) to split cards, and its so easy.

Anyway heres what you do....

Get a sharp craft knife and score the card from one corner to the other.

Then simply bend the card, and use your nail to simply peel away one half, then the other.

You might wreck a few cards to begin with by cutting to far, but you card do it in about 30 sec and get them as thin as possible.

Gavin

Just to add, anyone who is having trouble with splitting cards, please used the above method, it really is so easy.

I've just done about 30 cards in the last hour, you do destroy one side of the card when doing it, but they allways split a thin as is possible with a perfectly smooth finish.

Gavin
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
Someone mentioned silk screening feke cards.
This would be okay for all but the picture cards where multiple screens would probably be needed, adding a bit to the cost.
I used a Print Gocco screen system for printing some cards several years ago and the cards were used by a table worker for a couple of years. They had a caricature on them, not card pips. That system is less messy and quicker than a regular silk screen set-up but has other limitations.
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
magicboy111
View Profile
New user
somewhere in Idaho
25 Posts

Profile of magicboy111
Hello,

I have been splitting cards, and making gaffs for a few years now, and am definitely getting the knack of it. I DO have the time, and would help you out for a very reasonable price. (not 20 bucks or anything!) Just email me at magictrickss@netscape.net
so I know you need my help, and tell me what you need and what you think is a good price for you.

Magician,

Corey
alex keal
View Profile
New user
Whiteford, Maryland
35 Posts

Profile of alex keal
hello;
I have been splitting cards for well over 40 years now and while I'm getting up in age, I still enjoy making up things, especially cards. It does take a knack to get it, but once you do, you can do it forever. The really tricky part is getting everything to line up when you reconstruct the gimmicks. I still tinker with it and would be willing to make up a few cards for you if you just send me a couple of the cards you need split and a couple stamps for return postage, how is that? I make up my own cards now for the old tricks that I remember, but at my age, I forget the handlings, oh well, that is the price we pay for getting old I guess. I enjoy this group, all of you seem helpful and dedicated, I will keep in touch now that my Grandchildren have given me a computer and I am learning that it does more than type.
keep up the good work guys.
card crazy
M.P.D.
View Profile
New user
illinois
54 Posts

Profile of M.P.D.
Hey,
I've been a student of Don England for several years and have studied extensively on how to split and construct gaffs. if there is anything in particular I can answer for you on how it's done, let me know and I'd be glad to help.... or you could go straight to "the man" and I am sure he'd be of great help to you.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Thank you everyone for the advice and offers.
That's what I love about this forum, friendly, helpful people.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
nick13245
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of nick13245
wow jeff, thanks for posting this, I think this has helped me more than you, I had heard about card splitting before!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Can anybody split cards? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL