The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Buy magic online vs. local magic store (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
I love the idea of a good brick and mortar store but the few magic shops I've had the pleasure of going to weren't good. At one place I had the owner constantly trying to upsell me products. It was really tough because magic is only a hobby and I have a family, money is tight and not a financial priority. I told him I was just a hobbyist and was looking for a cheap hotrod and color cube. It took almost 5 minutes of telling him I wasn't interested in spending $40 dollars on a brass hot rod for him to stop trying to push it on me. He immediately became unfriendly after. It really put me off. If he was nice I probably would have come back to spend more money when I had it but the experience was very uncomfortable. 5 minutes of talking with a pushy salesperson is longer than it sounds.

I did have good experiences at a few places and if they were close to my house I would support them but I have had more bad experiences than good at brick and mortar shops.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
ceafin
View Profile
New user
Texas
7 Posts

Profile of ceafin
I apologize for remorting the thread, but I thought it be on topic instead of creating a whole new thread.

Anyone know of any brick and mortar shops in or near the central Texas area?
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
That is unfortunate Terry..of course the demonstrator is trying to upsell - to increase their avg ticket price - but there are basics in selling anything - you have to find out what the customer wants and what their 'budget'is - especially if they have no idea what magic costs.

Within the last three weeks we have purchased an acre of land right on the main highway here in Colon - we are in the process of constructing a new facility that will house our shop,showroom,workshop and a performance center/theater. Crazy? We think not..we believe if you build it they will STILL come ---- we want to build the premiere magic facility in the world - in our MAGIC CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.... stay tuned Smile
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The idea that all shopping will be online is crazy. Fresh food and those without Internet access need to be taken care of and that is only 2 reasons.

Supporting brick and mortar shops makes sense for many reasons. While you can buy things cheaper online there is something you can just not get online. Meeting people who show up at the shop. It can not be duplicated online. What is gained in saved money is lost by orders of magnitude.

That is the reason to support local magic shops.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Fresh food is already being sold online. It's a growing niche market, at least in major cities.
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
I too miss the brick and mortar days and would certainly support a local shop if I had the chance. I have no trouble paying a little more when in a shop. You don't have to buy 100% from the shop or mail order, why not split your business. As for me, I have not been to a real shop since Barry's closed up in Rockville, MD (after having to move from their original location); I do miss those trips and playing catch with their dog. I really need to make my way up to Denny and Lee's...have never been. I do the mail order thing, Penguin for the most part and usually books.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, Brian Thomas wrote:

I really need to make my way up to Denny and Lee's...have never been.

If you like books, you must make the trip to Denny's!

(Be sure to have a well stocked checkbook or debit card!)
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
Thanks Kabbalah, sounds like my kind of shop.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
And, Denny loves to talk about books.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I miss the book shops, the record shops, the video stores, the game stores, the comic stores...in New York City where there was a store for everything...including a shop for just chess accessories...places to go to see, touch, and talk about the stuff we care about, are vanishing. And with vanishing, we have the fading of magic shops...the dream destination for countless young magic enthusiasts who for decades sought out the "magic shop" as the Eden of their newly found passion.

Such is life. And change. But, whenever possible, and whenever I can afford it, when traveling I seek out...to the determent of my wife and son...the local magic shop in the area of our stay, and visit...look around, actually take time to see what they are offering, and ultimately purchase something I want. It's not pity. It's support. Support of a commitment to an art that will live or die based on public interest, digitally, or physically.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, ceafin wrote:
I apologize for remorting the thread, but I thought it be on topic instead of creating a whole new thread.

Anyone know of any brick and mortar shops in or near the central Texas area?

Texas is a very big state. Central is a little vague but I googled "magic shop in central texas" and found one in McKinney and one in San Antonio if either are close to you.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
178 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
I'm heading to NYC this weekend and looking forward to Tannens and Fantasma Magic Shops. It's always nice to go to a B&M and connect with new people at the shop. Will also be getting over to the "Magic Table" meeting for lunch which has been moved to the Times Square Diner. Looking forward to the weekend. I miss the old magic shops, although I've had good experiences with Penguin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Buy magic online vs. local magic store (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL