The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Advice/tips on traveling by plane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I'm looking for tips/tricks on transporting my medium-sized stand-up show by commercial air. What kinds of policies/charges do airlines have on road cases? I've checked several airlines' websites and can't seem to find any cut and dry answers. Any input or experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks,
MK
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Check out air cargo for your selected airline. Sometimes you can check cases as baggage but there can be high charges for baggage over the limit. Shipping the bags could be cheaper.

I know a former major league baseball umpire that told me that they would air ship their equipment cases from place to place rather than check them as it was cheaper.

Just an idea.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I recently shipped a mountain bike by UPS and they gave me a very decent deal (less than 30 bucks I believe for the whole thing).

Most airlines charge you $75 extra for another bag, so that isn't much worth it.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Justin Craddock
View Profile
Regular user
buffalo,ny
127 Posts

Profile of Justin Craddock
In the words of Jeff McBride's lecture notes, "Pack SMALL play BIG".
"When a performance is over, What remains"
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Michael,

I would call the airline that you are planning on using and ask. If your show isn't that big, look for a case that will fit within the size limitations for a carry-on.

Justin's advice is sound, but even Jeff uses an ATA case for his full show. Smile

ATA cases can be expensive so make sure you get one that fits within the air transport's size limitations. Also if you are going to go that route, think about using the case as your table, too.

Good luck ~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Also, be careful what you pack your carry-on props in. A friend of mine had a box full of swami gimmicks confiscated. They were in a matchbox. The airline was afraid of the matchbox.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
The airlines probably wouldn't like any Knife through the Arm gimmicks either.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I travel often, but, since I'm primarily a hypnotist, I don't usually have problems at check-in. Sometimes I ship my sound system out via UPS (next day), but I never bring anything with me on the plane outside of the following:

1. Performance Suit
2. Sandwich (plane food can make you sick. I never take the chance when I'm on a gig).
3. enough props to do a 50-minute show in the event my baggage is lost (basically, some loops, two decks, and a wine glass).
4. Some entertainment (I just bought an ultra-thin laptop that plays DVDs - highly recommended).
5. ID, tickets, passport, and directions.

Everything else is either checked-in or shipped next-day UPS to the sponsor. If you have any questionable props or materials (like flash paper), NEVER take chances, just ship them to the location. Don't put anything in your pockets, except tickets, contact info, and directions. And put directions in your luggage! Assume your luggage is going to be lost; someone's going to need to know how to get it back to you.

Lastly, pack meds in your carry-on. Tylenol, Immodium A-D, and some pseudoephedrine. It'll save your reputation one day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Advice/tips on traveling by plane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL