The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Any filmmakers here, among us? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
A long shot, I know, but nevertheless here goes....

In addition to being an amateur magician since childhood, I'm also a film buff and a writer. And a would-be screenwriter.

I've written a screenplay which blends magic (sleight of hand, parlor tricks, stage illusions) with Magic (esoteric spirituality, metaphysics, mysticism). It's an old-school occult thriller (think classic Dennis Wheatley, a past master of metaphysical thrillers and spiritual shockers), but updated and set in contemporary soccer-mom suburbia.

This is an occult thriller. But magic -- card tricks, coin tricks, cups and balls, etc. -- also play an absolutely central role in the narrative, as well.

I'm hoping to find an independent filmmaker with a love of magic, as well as of supernatural horror films, who might be the ideal artist to produce/direct a project of this nature.

One way might be to approach filmmakers, and hope to find magic buffs within their ranks. But another way might be to approach magicians, and hope to find interested filmmakers within their ranks.

Hence this post.

Any indie filmmakers out there, who are also magicians or magic buffs? And who might like to produce/direct a magic-inflected supernatural horror movie?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Would it be of any use to check out the graduate education departments of your local film school?

I don't know where you are based, but here in NYC, there are several graduate film departments in schools (New York University, Brooklyn College) with budding directors looking for projects to work on.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Good idea. I'm in Denver, which is not exactly NYC or LA in terms of being a filmmaking center. But still, a good idea. Worth checking into. Thanks.

But it's the magic connection, first and foremost, that I'm hoping to find. A filmmaker with a genuine love of magic would be the ideal person to helm a project of this nature.

(It would probably also require the professional services of a skilled magician to serve as "technical advisor" to ensure that all of the many magic bits presented throughout the narrative come off correctly, and in a properly impressive manner.)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
It would probably also require the professional services of a skilled magician to serve as "technical advisor"

Wouldn't that be you?
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2015, landmark wrote:
Wouldn't that be you?

Oh, no. I'd want someone much better than me!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Any filmmakers here, among us? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL