The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July & August 2015 entrée: Jheff » » Teaching and Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Hello Jheff,

What do you think about incorporating magic and teaching? Do you ever include a magic trick during the lesson?

Thanks,

Sam
May you live in interesting times.
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Hi Sam,

Using magic and mentalism in a classroom certainly keeps their interest. Definitely, do it if you can. (I say that because I do know of a friend who had a principal that forbade her to perform for her elementary school students. The reason was unknown, but fortunately that principal didn't last long.)

So the answer is yes, of course I include a magic or mentalism effect in some lessons. But those are exceptions, rather than the rule.

The difficulty comes with the balance. If you do it too much, the students will want and expect you to entertain them, instead of focus on learning what you want them to learn. So I try to do it when they least expect me. And if they ever make that request for a performance, usually right in the middle of some important discussion or instruction, I'll usually a very quick, very stupid gag so that they get the message that if ask at a "stupid" time, they'll get a "stupid" trick. Those tricks would be like the cut and restored thumb, the mind reading fingers, or the vanishing finger. Or "I'm thinking of a person and projecting that name to you, what is it?...Wrong! You're not very good at this. I won't do anything else until you're better." Yeah, that kind of stuff.

As we speak, I actually have a couple of effects set and ready to go, such as Alex Elmsley's Newspaper Tear, and as soon as I can work one of them into a discussion, I will.

- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Quote:
The difficulty comes with the balance. If you do it too much, the students will want and expect you to entertain them, instead of focus on learning what you want them to learn.

True. I used to be a home tutor in the past. I use magic tricks as an icebreaker. It turned out they always waiting for my performance instead of the lesson.

Thanks for the answer and very nice tips btw.

Sam
May you live in interesting times.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July & August 2015 entrée: Jheff » » Teaching and Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL