The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Victorian Coins In Glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
World Magic just did a review on the Victorian Coin in Glass this week. You only receive a special glass, but you have to provide your own [ coin. As most of you that come this section of the Café, would have a [ coin with your Hopping Half trick, here is another use for it.

Let me state that this is not the normal coins in glass, not pulling coins from the air, or throwing coins across from one hand to the other holding a glass and the coin arriving in the glass with a clink. I think that is what makes it so different. There are some surprising exchanges of marked coins in spectator's hands that looks very different. That is what is so different with this routine, lots of spectator involvement. This is just not a demonstration trick, like so many of the gimmicked coins set tricks, but actual hands on by the spectator to draw them into the trick.

The glass and routine look excellent, entertaining, and magical, but it will take work to get it all down. It is kind of long as close-up magic presentations go. I would suggest you leaving out several of the repetitive sequences and get to the climax. Not meaning to rush, but doing it over and over can get boring without something different happening. I can see that it would be excellent for a Formal Close-up show, or as they say now, Parlour show.
It is only $30 for the special glass from Penguin Magic, and I believe most coin men will want the glass for other routines.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S19969

Time stamp 19:17 for the beginning of the review for Victorian Coins and Glass.

RatdeLabo
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of RatdeLabo
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Is the glass made to work with half dollar coins or dollar coins?
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
It will work with either size coin and anything in between.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I was in Bed Bath and Beyond, I seen a glass that looked like the one being sold with this trick. I looked at the bottom of the glass and it was marked as $30.00 for one glass.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
A local bar that I do magic in from time to time just happens to use the exact glass behind the bar and gave me a few. They also told me where they get them (local bar and restaurant distributor) where I can get them singly for a couple bucks apiece. I am now set for "spares" since it is a real glass and really could (and might in my case) break. I do not think that the price of $30 on the set is too steep as you also get the effect taught on DVD (in great detail) and a couple bonus moves. Any effect by Kainoa Harbottle is worth what you pay for it from all that I have seen (and bought) of his.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
I attended Kainoa's lecture last night in Mt. Clemens, MI where he performed and explained the "Victorian Coins In Glass." It looked GREAT! Smile
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I really like it !
Working on it since I receive it, hopefuly
I'd be ready for 2016 gigs 😃
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
This is on my short list to acquire with school craft coins set
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I think I have one of those glasses. It may be authentically Victorian in style, but it doesn't come across as such to me. (I perform in a 19th century setting.)
Nightcrawler
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Nightcrawler
Hi Folks,

do you think this a good routine for Tablehopping?
Kainoa does a relatively long presentation.

On the other hand, why shouldn't you be able to stop after each phase in case the food arrives?

I could imagine doing it if you know the table has enough time and if you keep the presentation short.

What's your opinion?

Thanks for your input!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Nightcrawler wrote:
Hi Folks,

do you think this a good routine for Tablehopping?
Kainoa does a relatively long presentation.

On the other hand, why shouldn't you be able to stop after each phase in case the food arrives?

I could imagine doing it if you know the table has enough time and if you keep the presentation short.

What's your opinion?

Thanks for your input!

That is exactly why I love his work. Because almost all he does is modular and you can tweek it to fit as time allows. Absolutely, you could shorten this down to basics and use it as a great "Table Hopping" routine. You may miss out a bit on some of the "WOW Factor" of the full routine but you are not doing a stage or parlor act, you are filling time before the dinner arrives.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Kainoa did mention he was working on a strolling routine for the Coins and Glass.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
The glass that comes with the DVD is not big enough for a morgan dollar coin. only fits a half dollar coin.

If you need a replacement glass, try the dollar tree. I picked up a few replacement glasses for less than one dollar a piece at the local 2nd hand shop. Looks almost exactly like the one I got from Kainoa.

caL
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Victorian Coins In Glass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL