The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Turtles on Penn and Teller Fool Us (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Sorry, but...

If you don't get the references on P&T, then maybe you ought to do a little more homework.

Robert
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
But then it wouldn't be magicians helping magicians would it? Smile
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Thanks Pendleton, Smile I figured it out....with a bit of help....it is just as I thought that it was. Thanks for the help my friends.
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
PS. I did do my homework after a few tips on where to look. Plus I watched some performances and zeroed in on my assumptions:-)
William Dee
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of William Dee
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2015, Robert M wrote:
Sorry, but...

If you don't get the references on P&T, then maybe you ought to do a little more homework.

Robert

Wow blunt much?
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
After all Smile this is a place for magicians to do their homework.
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Robert, I do appreciate your intention though.
Cheers friend
Billy Mondragon
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
No hard feelings Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Wise of Eric not to use P&T as volunteers which is typically the case.
I do think it was a case of semantics though, Johnny Thompson's decision could have gone either way as P&T were clearly onto it. They weren't completely amazed, just never said the right term.
I've seen other performers on the show who used multiple gimmicks and if P&T got one of them that was enough.

But congrats to Eric!
I really like his performances and saw him lecture live a couple years ago and he's a good guy and great magician.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Does anyone have a problem when, during the discussion it was revealed that although the coins were examinable, they were not "real"?
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy

Examinable but gimmicked. I agree that was worse to put that fact "out there" than the turtle clues (that amazingly even fooled several magicians). It sort of makes me believe it is open season on prop examinability if you want to put that blatent idea out of a viewers head. (Which of coarse can be done)

EDIT: Sorry... that was supposed to start at 8:00 on the timeline (Penn and Eric's back and forth)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2015, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Does anyone have a problem when, during the discussion it was revealed that although the coins were examinable, they were not "real"?

My heart kind of sunk when I heard that and to be honest I was in a bit of shock that it was even mentioned that way, or that it made it to broadcast.
The whole question of what can be examined and what can't is an area I wish P&T would avoid. At least maybe come up with a predetermined code word for it or something.
It bothered me also when after Francis Menotti's performance the issue of what can be examined and what can't also came up. Although admittedly that is not as bad IMO as the Eric Jones gimmicked coin thing.
Usually Penn is pretty good at wording it such as with the turtle and Flintstones references, but when it is asked point blank if something can be examined and it can't be. It's almost like the audience is disappointed, it's pulling back the curtain a bit too far. And then when the object in question happens to be a coin, well that's really a spoiler. In cases like that, audiences don't need to know specifically how the gimmick works, just realizing its a fake coin ruins it for them.
If the show returns for future seasons I hope this issue is addressed and handled differently. Maybe just let Teller make a drawing or write a note as he sometimes does.
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
I agree. Most people know nothing of faked coins.... I think if people become aware of this on a great scale it could ruin coin magic for many. Even slight of hand guys who use no gimmicks may not get as big of reactions if the spectators think, " hmmm must be gimmicked!" I know some already do... But I think most do not.
Just my two cents.

I pray that in the future they will be more discrete. I really pray. I use mostly great SOH, but I do appreciate great gimmicks at the right time.
Hmmmm.... Those guys! Lol the bad boys of magic! I'm sure they will figure it out... They don't want to ruin the magic for people... They are just playing a game.

I believe they will most definitely figure out a code for, "can this be examined?"

I mean come on guys! Are you kidding me???
Lol
Dang
That's all.
Just needed to rant a minute after the last couple of posts.

To be honest, I didn't really put too much thought into it prior to this... Though I did have the thought, and a slight let down after seeing that clip.
Oh well!
We're magicians after all. We will figure out away to keep the magic alive!
Cheers you All,
Goodnight.
~William Möndragon
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
So many of you seem to think that because the Magic Café is supposed to be a magician's hang out that somehow means there is no need for discretion.

Try this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+did+Penn+and+T......+Turtles
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
johnreagan
View Profile
New user
TX/TN
20 Posts

Profile of johnreagan
It's always been interesting to me that a single HTML meta tag in the template for this forum would prevent Google from indexing or linking to any of the content. I'm genuinely curious why the owners haven't done that. I'd love to lend a hand if it was just due to lack of technical knowledge.

Of course, it could be that Google drives a lot of necessary traffic/publicity to this forum, and thus they'd want to maintain public Google results, but still desire discretion during conversations.
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
I really don't think it's that big of deal, spectators have their assumptions regardless of what they may know or not know. For instance, I did a coins across, wearing a t-shirt for someone and they commented, "But you're not wearing any SLEEVES?!" If it becomes a problem with a spectator, either cancel out the thoughts with routining or just stop performing for that person.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2015, johnreagan wrote:
It's always been interesting to me that a single HTML meta tag in the template for this forum would prevent Google from indexing or linking to any of the content. I'm genuinely curious why the owners haven't done that. I'd love to lend a hand if it was just due to lack of technical knowledge.

Of course, it could be that Google drives a lot of necessary traffic/publicity to this forum, and thus they'd want to maintain public Google results, but still desire discretion during conversations.

There are a number of sub-forums (e.g. "Secret Sessions") that aren't indexed by Google, so clearly it's how the management here wants it to be. For better or worse, the users of the Café can't seem to discipline themselves to use only those areas when discussing the workings of effects.

People using terms like sh*ll and fl*pp*r are not trying to make their posts hard to read for people on the Café, but rather to keep their posts from being indexed using those key words.
prestidigitation
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of prestidigitation
I figured out right away what "turtles" meant and I don't even do coin magic....
but yeah, Eric Jones is awesome. I wonder if he's learned a lot from some French magicians because he has that perfectly smooth handling.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2015, Moondragon1 wrote:
I agree. Most people know nothing of faked coins.... I think if people become aware of this on a great scale it could ruin coin magic for many. Even slight of hand guys who use no gimmicks may not get as big of reactions if the spectators think, " hmmm must be gimmicked!" I know some already do... But I think most do not.
Just my two cents.

A lot of people know about "trick cards", and that hasn't ruined card magic.

"Trick coins" can be examined -- it just has to be before you ring them in or after you've switched them out. Smile

That said I don't think it's good to make the examination a direct part of the presentation. That sets things up as a challenge.
Let the routining allow the spectators to convince themselves that the coins are normal.
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
I'm a little late to the party but I just had the chance to view the video yesterday. I thought the first thing out of P&T's mouth's were going to be "that trick really fli**ed me out". I did think that P&T put him on the spot with the "Is it real/examinable?". Overall Jones did a really good job and I agree with P&T in that it took a lot of guts to perform the effect in the manner that he did.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Turtles on Penn and Teller Fool Us (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL