The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Christian Cagigal at the Magic Castle as an example of storytelling with effects. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ergerbor
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Ergerbor
Came across this performance: https://youtu.be/UtaalH-vE9U recently. Seems like this illustrates a number of points folks on here have been talking about: performance vs effects. Lots of stories here, some comedy and eccentricity while using some effects that even I recognize. I found this video while I searching for any reviews (found them) or performances (didn't) of Robert Neale. I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of his books and some by Terri Rogers. So glad I've joined the Café again, the advice on here is great.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Christian is a fantastic performerand a lovely chap too.
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
I really love his performance. Thanks for sharing. Smile
May you live in interesting times.
Sh9bum9
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Sh9bum9
How unusual to see a storytelling act enthrall adult audiences. Guess we're all kids at heart and love a good story. Thanks for sharing
Decisions determine destiny. Thomas S. Monson
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Wonderful! Proves that presentation counts more than tricks. Even tricks we know become enchanting again.
Ergerbor
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Ergerbor
Absolutely, I think story can elevate very many things and a lack of story can make them rather trite.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Christian is one of my favorite magicians, simply because the way he weaves stories in with his magic is incredibly appealing. I was with my spouse at the Magic Castle today, and afterward I asked her which magician she liked best. The best technical magician was actually her least favorite, and her favorite two were the ones whose charm came through the most. She didn't even recall the tricks so much as the person doing them.

(After lurking a while, this is my 2nd post on this forum, so if you have no idea who I am, there's a good reason for it. Smile )
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Ergerbor
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Ergerbor
Dana, It's no matter to me whether I know you or not. Thanks for your comment and contribution! Also, Welcome to the Café! (as a poster vs a lurker, though I still lurk more than I post...there's so much to read!)
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
425 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Thank you for the post , I never saw him before , such a great performer , it just show how much more powerful is the imagination in comparison to technical skills .... And when you have both together , it is just perfect
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Well, it only took me 3 years to finally find this thread and watch the video. I love how well he communicates a character with the music box and the title cards. Although the bones of the tricks are all well known or classic tricks, his stories elevate the magic wonderfully.

A rather belated thanks to Ergerbor for sharing this.

-Patrick
Penduluminary
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Penduluminary
Thanks for posting the video. Christian is a great performer. Enchanting storytelling magic!
Satire
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Satire
Even his final flourish to give a wind to the music-box is so crisp and feels so practiced. Really great set.
Segomo
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Segomo
This is an excellent share thank you very much!
I am currently working on a routine heavily based on story so I saw a lot I liked in this performance.
I love the ending in "a little game" his last two pieces were very profound in my opinion.
I dare say much of the audience may have missed some of the subtleties in the routines.
I heard a couple people get it like no one wins in war during "a little game".
That act had a lot to say I loved it.
davfreeman
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of davfreeman
Great storytelling. Thanks for sharing.
buntymc
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of buntymc
Well that was so *** good. I don't recall the last magician I enjoyed as much as this guy
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
A magical performance combined with storytelling. Very clever and inspiring! I would love to see more magic acts like this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Christian Cagigal at the Magic Castle as an example of storytelling with effects. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL