The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Framework (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Kainoa Harbottle's review of Framework will appear in the May issue of Genii. Here's a pleasing excerpt:

“For me, what makes this collection most successful is Frame's writing. Imagine David Regal having an attitude problem and you pretty much can imagine Frame's tone. Almost every trick is hysterical in both its teaching and its patter. There are effects for everyone in Framework, and it is as entertaining as the material is strong.”
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
The esteemed Bob Farmer chimes in.

"I like books that give me ideas and Tom's book certainly does that. Though I haven't worked through every effect, there were two that jumped out and I had to gather them up and make them get back in the book.

'Blind Dates' is a great coincidence effect and the method is dear to my heart since I used something similar to create a bar bet scam. There's no money to be made in Tom's trick, but that's okay.

However, the trick that really made me start thinking about effects and methods, was 'Sandwich Transit' (pp.227-238). I'm not really a sandwich-effect guy, but a few days before Tom's book arrived, my student, Christian Au, had shown me several really good sandwich effects. So my mind had been primed. My only suggestion is to allow for slightly inebriated spectators (very common here in the Canadian outback): use two red aces and two jacks (preferably the one-eyed jacks, H&S), so the transits from pair to pair are clear. Using all queens may be too subtle for some (usually indicated by, a "Huh?" from the audience).

I've worked out a sort of "lite" version for those whose attention span may be shorter than normal (i.e., the lumberjacks noted above). I'll write it up and send it to Tom for "Framework--The Sequel."

The crediting is excellent. I'd always thought Steranko had created the tabled reverse but Tom straightened me out on page 47. Somehow Tom, as a psychotherapist (a sort of chiropractor for psychos), realized I needed some clear and focused thinking and he has provided plenty of that."
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Hi guys,

You'll find Kainoa Harbottle's glowing review of Framework in the May issue of Genii. Check it out and place your orders!

tomframe1@comcast.net
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

Like I said, if you buy this book for one routine only, I would buy it for

15 Second Memorized Deck.

I use this in my work all the time.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Last thing I need is to learn another card trick.
That being said, I'm going to buy this book.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
I await your order, Jerskin.

tomframe1@comcast.net
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Would love to read the Genii review but not available as single issue download Smile
Any other review ?

Alex so "15 Second Memorized Deck" is easy to do but how easy ? Smile Like simple sleight or based on principle ? Could a beginner pull this off ?

Thanks !
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Papawemba,

The 15 Second Memorized Deck involves no sleight of hand. A beginner can easily perform it.

Here is the Genii review:

LIGHT FROM THE LAMP

KAINOA HARBOTTLE

Framework

Tom Frame $55

AS SOMEONE WHO OCCASIONALLY complains about what I call the "tyranny of card tricks" - that genre's dominance over the magic market - you can imagine I wasn't thrilled when I received a copy of Tom Frame's Framework. I was not familiar with Frame's material, nor was I very eager to read a book that was only card tricks. And then something truly magical happened: I couldn't put the book down.

Frame has collected 34 of his pieces from over the years into one tome, a best of the best that is as enjoyable as it is entertaining. The first section is called "Coincidental Conjuring," featuring a number of effects where the audience appears to do all the heavy lifting. "Blind Dates" is an effect where spectators apparently pair the royal mates from a shuffled deck. "Blind-Sided" puts the deck under the table where the performer and spectator end up picking mates in seemingly fair circumstances. A charming series of subtle coincidences that seem almost accidental occurs with two decks in "Kitchen Sync."

The next section is titled "Mental Magic," and includes a variation on one of my favorite tricks by Paul Curry, "Open Prediction," but one of Frame's best presentations is the wonderfully titled "The Mystic Spinner of Doom," where the Ace of Spades becomes a way to select four mates. "A Case of Polygraphy" is an entertaining take on the “Lie Detector" plot, and "Off-Color Sandwich" adds off-color cards to Brother John Hamman's "The "Signed Card." For those who like to use memorized decks or just pretend that you do, "What You Were Thinking" and "The 15 Second Memorized Deck" will entertain as well as make you happy (especially the latter for those late night magic sessions). Frame's discussion of psychological ploys (befitting a clinical psychologist who is also a magician) for his handling of "Dai Vernon’s Mental Force" is quite interesting.

"Poker Prestidigitation'” is obviously a collection of gambling themed effects, ranging from a packet trick where the Ace of Spades transforms into a royal flush in Hearts in '“A Really Big Hand'” to a '“Triumph" effect with a poker game in '“Stoned Poker Triumph." "Well-Appointed Stud" is Frame's version of the "10-Card Poker Deal" plot, and "Well Hung Hold ’Em" combines a memorized deck with the poker theme.

In the next section called "Skillful Sorcery," Frame includes effects where various skills are displayed such as seemingly impossible reversals (as in "Single-Handedly"), preternatural abilities with a rubber band (as in "Rubber Wrangler"), or the ability to find spectator's fingerprints on cards (as in "Forensic Evidence"). Frame also shares the "Doubleless Misdirection Palm," a great utility move that combines methods by Ed Marlo and Randy Wakeman. Frame's final section, frighteningly titled "Tranny Trickery," is his largest and features a series of transposition effects. One of the most enjoyable is "Leadership Potential," a "Follow-the-Leader" plot with the Royals, Aces, and Tens. Included in the back of the book is an envelope with eight gaffs for "Son of Hyper-Warp," an incredible version of "Card Warp" that ends with a pretty remarkable giveaway (additional cards are available directly from the author).

Throughout Framework, Frame teaches various sleights and techniques most thoroughly, citing them and providing an index of the moves at the end of the book. There are not a lot of knuckle-busting moves, and Frame trends towards smart, practical construction in his methods.

For me, what makes this collection most successful is Frame's writing. It could easily be called "funny," but "snarky" is probably the best descriptor. He refers to his performing style as dominated by his "typical verbal onslaught." Imagine David Regal having an attitude problem and you pretty much can imagine Frame's tone. His descriptions are perfectly peppered with taunts or teases directed at the reader, and his presentations bounce back and forth between the bizarre and silly. Almost every trick is hysterical in both its teaching and its patter. There are effects for everyone (yes, even coin magicians) in Framework, and it is as entertaining as the material is strong. I'm happy to have found one of my new favorite authors in magic.

If you purchase the book directly from Tom, he will include eight additional gaffs for "Son-of Hyper-Warp." You can contact him at tomframe1@comcast.net

Framework * Tom Frame * 294 pages * hardcover * illustrated with black and white photos * gaffs included
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Thanks a lot Tom for the Genii review ! (There are not many description but everything sound great).
I'll wait a little more then decide if I order it.

Best
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Jared Kopf's glowing review of Framework appears in the July issue of Magic.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I had never heard of this book but was a fan of "Hold'Em Magic" by Tom Frame and Vanishing Inc. I cannot understand why great books don't get the "airtime" that these "trick of the week" dvd's do on the forums. I found this book used and grabbed it up. I love this book! I really like the 'Quirkiness' of some of the presentations. They fit my performance style very well. As much as I hate to see a book of this caliber go unread by the masses, maybe it is better that these awesome effects are left to those of us willing to read thru the book and cherry pick our favorites.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
After a couple months where I must admit, I overwhelmed myself by buying "too many" (as if that is even possible) used magic books - all in such good condition I would swear the original buyers (now re-sellers) must have either never opened them or only read them with white gloves on in a sterile room (I may actually resort to this idea Smile ). I have spent the last week with no tv and no radio, I used every minute awake to catch up on a few I had skimmed.

I have got to say, this book shot directly into my top 10. I cannot believe how many "True Workers" are squeezed in between the covers. In the "Introduction" He quotes - "With the exception of one item, all of the effects within these pages have previously appeared in print". So, consider this your new favorite band's "Best of" Album (CD for the youngsters) Smile

Once I dug into it, I really couldn't put it down. There are so many "Pro's", I could not begin to list them. This book is still fairly available from what I can see so you might want to grab a copy before its eventual OOP status.

If you like poker routines (Hold Em' to be specific) look around for "Hold Em' Magic" also by Tom Frame. You will be amazed at the caliber of the other contributors to this book. I warn you though, it is in low inventory at the sites that still have it.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Thanks for your kind words Poof-Daddy.

If the dealers run out of them, copies of Hold 'Em Magic and Framework are still available directly from me. tomframe1@comcast.net

Upon request, I will sign the books using the purchaser's preferred fluid. Please specify ink, sweat, urine, blood, bile, spinal fluid or semen.

Cheers,

Tom
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Tom, Is that email address also your PayPal address to use when ordering something?

Smile Smile
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Yep.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Framework (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL