The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Derren Brown's Hypnotism Technique (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leohart
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Leohart
I am interested in hypnotism and have been attracted to the technique that Derren Brown seems to perform in his mind control series and in his other videos. I am interested in the sublime technique that he seems to perform in his routines. I am not interested in the great stage hypnotism more the close-up material that seems to be performed by Derren in his videos. Derren’s use of suggestion is also something that really grabs my attention, especially when he is able to tell a group of girls that the forks they are seeing are bending and they genuinely believe it. There is also another trick in his latest mind control series where he is able to pass a needle through a student’s hand with the student not being able to feel it as it is passes through his own hand. Routines like this or similar to these are something that really interests me, so if anyone can help me on material that I can look for that will help me in this area it would be much appreciated.
Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
Start of with the bible! its called

The new encyclopdeia of stage hypnotism by Ormand McGill.

Yes I hear you cry! I DONT WANT TO LEARN STAGE HYPNOSIS, However, this will be a good starting point for you.

The rest my friend is practice and experience, and more importantly your belief you can do it, and even more importantly.............. The spectators belief you can do it!

;)

Fon
Always thinking..........?
Leohart
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Leohart
Thank you for your reply, would you be able to inform me where i might be able to find a copy of this book?? Can i also ask how you have found this book?? and also does it contain many effects for you that you still perform??
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
Derren Brown's material is usually not what it appears. To perform it you need a great deal of experience and insight into what you are doing, not just knowledge of a given technique.

There is no technique you can learn that will allow you to do what Derren does, in the same way. He uses a combination of methods and his own personality to pull them off.

The needle effect is an old stunt. I actually saw it first in an ESP course and was treated as a real demonstration of the power of the mind, which is true. While I cannot say the same about any of the other ESP course claims, the needle thing worked fine.

Derren is not using sublime technique. It is him that can approach that level, not the technique. And thanks to that, much of what he does will never be copied sucessfully.

My suggestion (pun intended) is to learn hypnosis/mentalism and develop your own material and personality. We can much more easily enhance our own attributes than those who we take from others.

-Alain Bellon

PS.The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism can be ordered through Amazon.com
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Just to chime in for the 347th time, re Derren's wonderful TV work, don't confuse the method with the presentation.

If you want to do the things he does, the first thing you're going to need is a contract with a TV company.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
I agree with Alain. Derren's skills are varied, and they include hypnosis, but his real ability is to think originally and perform brilliantly. I guess intelligent fans of DB will understand his books and think originally for themselves. But I suppose it's hard to do that and not copy in some way. Maybe we all have to ape those we admire for a bit before finding our own way.
Leohart
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Leohart
I understand that perhaps my first post was misunderstood. I was not asking to copy the exact routines that Derren Brown performs, i was giving examples. I was asking more on advice for myself on hypnotism that is not based for strictly the stage. Iam not asking to copy his style as that is obvious that each person brings their own personality to their magic. I understand that derren has his own unique style. I thank you people who gave advice and gave me material to look for. I do appreciated it. Iam new to the area of hypnotism but ur help is all i ask and do not appreciate comments that do not amount to anything, as i was simply asking for assistance.
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
Leohart,

As Ian and others have pointed out, it is not just a matter of style. Derren's effects are extremely dependent on presentation, and much less on technique.

As for assistance, the New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism contains all you want to know regarding hypnosis and suggestion. There is really nothing in Derren's hypnosis work that would not be covered in there in some shape or form. You are not restricted to stage work, the principles and techniques there can be done under many types of situations.

The problem lies in that Derren presents many of his effects as "mind control" or hypnosis or suggestion when there is nothing of the sort involved. TV has a lot to do with it. Much stuff is clever mechanisms dressed up as suggestion.

If you want to do the kind of stuff Derren does, from a technique perspective you probably need only a couple of books: "N. Encycl. of Stage Hyp." and "13 Steps to Mentalism". And more importantly a passion for your work and a great dose of ingenuity and creativity (and yes a talented TV production crew with a healthy budget).

-Alain Bellon
Leohart
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Leohart
Thank you alain for ur recommendations. I do however like to point out that i did say iam new to this area of hypnotism. All the mention of T.V and T.V crews is just pointless, as I have obviously proved that i am a beginner, in this field. When i mention style iam talkin about the techniques which alain explains perhaps have some reference to The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism. Perhaps i did not use the right term when sayin the word style.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Derren Brown's Hypnotism Technique (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL