The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Cola Cans Production by Office Fantasia (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
I haven't seen this at the Café yet. I see it listed at SEO magic as a new offering about two months ago. Based on those two facts, I'm assuming this is a new trick.

I just received this Cola Cans Production in the mail today and thought I'd pass along my impression. Here's the link:

http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......_id/1828

First the bad news then the good news. The bad news is that the use of the tubes and attempting to show them empty would only fool preschoolers. The versions on the video link above that use a paper bag or a pocket are better. As a production item, they could have charged a little less and not included the tubes. There are plenty of ways magicians can produce these.

Because I just got it today and haven't performed it yet, all I can tell you about is the actual prop.

What you see in the video is what you get. The props are impressive, especially for the money. This can be performed from two feet away, no problem. Actually, from two inches away, these look like "the real thing" (pardon the old Coke slogan). While it cannot be done surrounded, three quarters should work.

Also, a real plus is that every can is exactly the same size! So, in that regard, this is not like the classic multiplying bottles. Consider it a more modern looking, cheaper and more realistic (i.e., all the same size) version of the classic multiplying bottles. Most of the multiplying bottles involve bottles of booze, an obvious no-no for kid shows. This can be used with kids and adults (hey, we adults drink Coke!).

Without saying too much in terms of method, mine came slightly less than perfect looking in terms of shape. However, you will notice that what you would naturally think to do to correct that will do the job just fine. You get five cans and will have to supply one real full can (not required, but a nice touch). I'd recommend keeping the full can separate from the others when storing or transporting them and only "integrate" them when it is time to perform, or that shape issue may resurface.

Overall, I think this is a very nice prop and I'm glad I purchased it.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Oh, one last thing. My fear was that these might "stick" a bit when removing them. This is not the case. These work as smooth as silk. No awkwardness or jogging anything loose, so the move involved in pulling thes out is very natural.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Thanks for passing along this information. The cans do look like the real thing in the video.
Higgenbottom
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Higgenbottom
Once I've bought the product, would it be feasible to gimmick another set of cans -- another brand of soda, or a new design on the coke can?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't know if there are plenty of ways to produce an item like this. The requirement is that the production device has to be close to the size of the coke can. Any larger and you do not have the same trick.

As far as the demonstrator's abilities on classic showing of the 2 tubes, is not the tricks fault, but the person in the video. Usually, showing tubes of this nature, requires a bit of showmanship and flare. Tossing the tube up and spinning end for end. Faster movements and rehearsal. The tube should be look like they are being dropped over and out the bottom, not fumbling trying to remove the inner tube.

This is magic, and an illusion emptiness has to be created in the handling of the props. It is to bad that U.F. Grant is no in business any more, he made trick like this and taught you through his printed instructions how to handle the props. I believe these are in Tarbell and Rice books. Rice called them stove pipe production.

It is always good to learn the basics of how classic magic props are used.

Saying all that, it is just a simple demo video so the purchaser gets an idea of what they are selling. They are not selling the proper handling or routine per say. It is up to the interested purchaser to make it a miracle.

Personally, I don't like the bag or pocket idea, it leaves me cold and not very theatrical looking. To much like a beginner trying to show his new trick he just bought.

If the tubes have to held on the bottom like that throughout the trick, that would be enough for me not to purchase this effect, because that means it is a table trick that has to be done on a table or tray, and that kills the fairness in handling of the tubes.

It may have potential, but only working on it will prove positive results one way or the other.

Thanks for discussing this item.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2h2JH3d3U

Here is a more magical handling of 2 tubes.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Great video Don.I like the looks of the coco cola
set from SEO.
Todd
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would probably use a small custom made Square Circle to pull the cola cans out of.
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Could these be used to perform a routine much like the multiplying bottles? By that I mean could you begin the routine using these gimmicked cans in conjunction with a smaller glass and two tubes to do the can to glass and glass to can? Hope that makes sense!
Thanks.

andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Andrew,

It would require some very gentle handling, but you could do it.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
How fragile are these? Will they hold up? Are you using it?

Disappointing to hear about the angles. Wouldnt that mean this is not ideal for a party situation as you will have to get rid of them before kids come up after the show?
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Are you saying the method below works with the apparatus provided in the Cola effect?
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, R Don wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2h2JH3d3U

Here is a more magical handling of 2 tubes.
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of StanleyRosenhouse
Dave,
Thanks for the review.
And you're right. it looks like you get a lot for the money.
Stan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Cola Cans Production by Office Fantasia (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL