The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash paper and flash cotton (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MightyManny
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MightyManny
What is the best way to store flash paper and cotton? I had a bag of it that turned yellow and it reeked. Can I restore it?
tonysmith
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tonysmith
No, the acids (mainly Nitric at that point) has leached out and the paper is no good. Flush with A LOT OF WATER and dispose of it.

Simply store in a cool dark place. I have used it for years and just keep it in the ziploc bags in comes in, in a draw. There is NO need to refrigerate it, rinse it or anything else. But it does have a shelf life, and the lower the quality the faster it will do what yours has just done.
MightyManny
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MightyManny
Thanks for the info. I had my paper and cotton in the original bags and stored in my drawer and when I opened the drawer it smelled and I opened the bags with the flash paper and cotton and it smelled terrible. I didn't know if I was able to restore it since it was a lot of it for my pyro. I never got to use it Smile
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
I have new flash cotton and it arrived damp in a zip bag. Can I store it as is or should I dry it and pack to the zip bag? So is the moisture bad for long term storing? I mean does it get moldy or something?
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
124 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I dry mine out and store it in a wood box. I have never had an issue with it going bad. But then again, maybe mine all goes up in flames too quickly to know!
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
I usually put it in a zip lock bag soak it in alcohol.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I believe the recommended way to store it is to dry it out after receiving, then store in a metal box away from any heat sources.

However, I have found the chemicals do not treat metal kindly so I question that. I have been told that once it starts turning that weird yellow color it has an increased possibility to self-ignite, so I would dispose of it if that started happening. Of course, I would just toss it into a fire out back but that's me.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Schramek is RIGHT. Dry it thoroughly and store it in a WOODEN box (metal can give a sparkle to ignite and 'plastics' can be 'eaten up' by the chemicals)
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Pyrotechnicians know that even STATIC ELECTRICITY can give an ignition!
horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
My flash cotton arrived wet. I altered my routine and opted not to use. Now months later (even though bag was never opened) It appears to be bone dry.
Can I simply re-wet it and store? Or has it's shelf life passed? - And really - how long should one be even storing it?
If I decide that I want to dispose of it - what is the best way? (not sure I want to light off a big ball of flash cotton).
Thank you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash paper and flash cotton (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL