The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Zombie Ball falling apart. (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
I have 2 Zombie Balls where the 2 halves are fitted together.
They fit together well and I usually give the halves a twist until I get maximum resistance.
Im trying to get the tightest fit. But the fit is still too loose.
I never had a problem during a performance but a few times during practice the halves came apart.

I don't want to push my luck.
Are there any tips to make sure it doesn't come apart once its on the gimmick? Is there anything I can put on the bigger halve's outer edge to get a nice grip when put together.
I had some thoughts like tape, glue stick. I wanted to see how others handled this problem
I tried giving one half a gentle squeeze so its NOT perfectly round and then put them together. It holds together tighter for a while until it regains the round shape.
I do this squeeze method every time.
Thanks
Pirouz
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There are two halves. Assume we are dealing with the half that fit INTO the other half. There is a rim around the circumference that does not show when the halves are together.

On that rim, take a pair of needle nose pliers, and CAREFULLY bend the edge outward at evenly spaced points around the entire rim, causing the rim to flair outward, more so than it is now. Do just a little bit at a time, checking the fit periodically until you achieve a good fit.

The aluminum balls are spun as two halves... it's the only way they are made. There really is no good reason for taking the ball apart unless you are doing a flower or fire finale. If it was me and I had that problem, I would use an appropriate adhesive and glue the two halves together permanently. Find a suitable box with padding to transport the ball, and you'll be floating your Zombie worry-free!

;)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
Michael,
Thanks,
I'll try the rim flaring this weekend. Sounds good.

I never even considered keeping the halves together permanently.
I always took the ball apart because my Zombie case is too flat for the assembled ball.
But there's no reason I can't change to a different storage case.
A few days ago, Jonathan Neal told me how to fix the dents in a Zombie ball.
If I have to repair dents again, I will have to take the ball apart. Otherwise, I'll keep it together.
The dents happened when I was practicing but hopefully my dent days are over.

Smile
Pirouz
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Most serious Zombie workers have more than one ball. Keep the best one for shows only. Practice with any that have dents.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
But Michael! Selling NEW balls, keeps the dealers in business!!! hee hee
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
I'm not looking to buy now but just out of curiosity, does anyone sell only the ball?
Pirouz
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Possibly, but I doubt it. It would not be worth them having to keep up with a bunch of random gimmicks and stands. Manufacturers aren't about to bother either.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
But Michael! Selling NEW balls, keeps the dealers in business!!! hee hee

Dick,

Regarding that dented Zombie thread, I laughed at the story of Neil Foster's Zombie bush! Considering where he lived, I can't imagine him EVER spending even a minute to fix dents.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Neil Foster worked at Abbott's when they made them at the Factory. No need to get them fixed when there was a whole pile of them available, I guess. There Zombie's were one of the best, shiny and smooth.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Neil worked the GTG every year. He did his act, and, of course it was always delightful. He finished with Zombi, and, very often, he had developed a kicker finish.

I think the first time, the ball changed into two bunches of flowers. But,the greatest finish, IMO, was the year that he dropped the ball into a simple cardboard carton, and, then, collapsed the carton, FLAT. Those who remember Gen Grant's "Victory Carton" illusions will have a hint. The drummer (hired especially for the "occasion", provided a drum roll, and a cymbal crash at just the right moment. It reminded me of Harry Blackstone Senior"s "DUCK INN.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I had a Zombie years ago that had the slipping apart problem. I simply ran a piece of masking tape around the inner lip of the bottom half. It fixed the problem immediately and lasted for about 16 years until I bought a new one.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah Frank!

In the OLD circus days, the show depended on baling wire to keep it on the road. In MY circus days, it was "duck tape".

I always had a small roll of electricians' tape in my Murphy box.

It not only repaired loose microphone stand hardware, it was good for Irv Weiner's Thumb Tie, too!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Zombie Ball falling apart. (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL