The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Exercises to improve Finger strength/dexterity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Obviously hand strength and finger dexterity is a big key to improving in manipulation... Being two months into manipulation myself I still feel like my hands are getting stronger and stronger each day (and I'm backp******* more and more each day too) and I want to keep that feeling of improvement going.
Are there any good finger/hand exercises that you guys use and believe in? Ideally things I can just do with my own two hands or rubber bands, that way I can do them throughout the day. But if you have a product you like, id love to hear about it too! Smile

Really appreciate it, Ryan Lockwood Smile
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
Akmal Magication
View Profile
New user
Brunei
76 Posts

Profile of Akmal Magication
For me sometimes I just let my hand have a rest for quite sometimes. & it surprised me that on my 2nd attempt it will be more improved than the 1st time. I think it is just like exercising.. don't force your muscles to hard.. give time for the muscle to recover 1st... & within a few days, do the same numbers of card.. if its getting easier.. i'l just add in few more cards..

Akmal Jamil Smile
"Imagination & Knowledge is a tools for creativity"
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
You might like one of these gadgets:
http://www.amazon.com/Finger-Strengthene......quipment

Drug stores or medical supply stores may also have them.

I also have used a rubber ball--just squeezing it repeatedly to keep the fingers flexible when I had some trigger finger problems.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2016, Akmal Magication wrote:
For me sometimes I just let my hand have a rest for quite sometimes. & it surprised me that on my 2nd attempt it will be more improved than the 1st time. I think it is just like exercising.. don't force your muscles to hard.. give time for the muscle to recover 1st... & within a few days, do the same numbers of card.. if its getting easier.. i'l just add in few more cards..

Akmal Jamil Smile

that's very true! Every now and then just taking a break is the best idea. Thanks very much for the tip!

Ryan Lockwood
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2016, Anatole wrote:
You might like one of these gadgets:
http://www.amazon.com/Finger-Strengthene......quipment

Drug stores or medical supply stores may also have them.

I also have used a rubber ball--just squeezing it repeatedly to keep the fingers flexible when I had some trigger finger problems.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

Thanks Anatole, I actually JUST saw something on Dan and Dave that was very similiar. that's a bit cheaper though so ill take a look
Thanks! Ryan Lockwood
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
I used to squeeze a ball of wax made from a candle. I used to roll it into a ball to get it warm. And then put the ball between each of my fingers and squeeze together. It was a technique I learnt from Bobby Bernard, who was my mentor and tutor. He himself learnt it from John Ramsay.
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2016, Peter Pitchford wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nujfdwhSAO0

That was very helpful!! Thanks for taking the time to share Smile

@Tally Thank you as well, I'm going to play around with that.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Uhhh, how about good ole fashioned perfect practice, in front of a video camera not a mirror. you literally will improve twice as fast if you do it that way. than after 50-100 hours of that start record performances in front of live audiences. than you will improve at 5 times the speed....just saying. theres no shortcuts with sleight of hand
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2016, Nick W wrote:
Uhhh, how about good ole fashioned perfect practice, in front of a video camera not a mirror. you literally will improve twice as fast if you do it that way. than after 50-100 hours of that start record performances in front of live audiences. than you will improve at 5 times the speed....just saying. theres no shortcuts with sleight of hand

If you don't think that strengthining the muscles in the hand and fingers will improve your/my manipulation then I'm not sure what your doing here.
You are right about no shortcuts to good ol fashioned practice, but I don't remember saying I don't want to practice, or that I don't put in practice time daily already (1Hr of practice tacked on to my closeup magic practice). I have no hard feelings toward you but please read and respond the the original post. And apologies in advance if I misunderstood aspects of your post, as I have a tendency to do that Smile

Thank you, Ryan Lockwood.
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2016, Tally_NSA wrote:
I used to squeeze a ball of wax made from a candle. I used to roll it into a ball to get it warm. And then put the ball between each of my fingers and squeeze together. It was a technique I learnt from Bobby Bernard, who was my mentor and tutor. He himself learnt it from John Ramsay.

This is a very good idea. Thank you.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Lockwood, is there any proof that hand muscle building exercises improve sleight of hand? if you are studying sleight of hand and manipulation, than make sure its deceptive first.
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Well to answer your question with an example Nick, Back-palming cards takes muscles that likely are not very strong for the average person. I remember when I couldn't back palm even 1 card, not cuz my technique was bad, but just those muscles weren't strong enough yet.

Definitely some SOH doesn't require physical strength, but things like Pinky Counts, Back Palms and BP Productions take a certain amount of finger/hand strength.
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Btw sorry if my original message to you was to aggressive, sometimes I wonder what state of mind I was in when typing certain things Smile Smile
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
All good....Im just suggesting that the best way to bp pieces of paper is to...uhhh...add more pieces of paper. builds tension that way right?
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Oh Yeah your right... like if your wanting to BP 10 cards well then what I would do is try working up to 20 (even if your not concealing the method at all, its just practice) and eventually 10 will be no problem.

the finger exercises I'm asking about are for the purposes of... well basically like cross training. Much like NHL players playing soccer for practice, it shouldnt help but it does. ya know? Also I don't always have cards on me but I can always do a lot of the training methods mentioned so far.

hope that made the point of all this a little more clear, but you are right.
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2016, Peter Pitchford wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nujfdwhSAO0

Nice, this hand work out is great
Going to try out the the wax ball technique suggested by Tally_NSA as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Exercises to improve Finger strength/dexterity (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL