The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Pack Small, Play Big (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks George! It's evident that you UNDERSTAND! --And, I really appreciate it!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The bad thing about taking a couple of sentences out of my post is that you lost the overall gist of it.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I've never seen Dick perform, so I don't know what I'm missing.
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Dick:
I understand you developed 1 act that played for all types audiences,venues and physical performing conditions.That required very little if any revision.That is what I call a club date act.

I am familiar with you because of Kid Stuff 5.That I read many times.I considered it a great book for school show performers.I am in DC area,but born in Norfolk,VA.

Everything you say I totally agree...

Don
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
This has been discussed here a number of times: If you play for different audiences, you can have one act for a long time. But if you play for the same audiences, you need new material all the time.

Neither one is "wrong" or "bad" in and of itself, but it IS apples and oranges.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, Don wrote:
Dick:
I understand you developed 1 act that played for all types audiences,venues and physical performing conditions.That required very little if any revision.That is what I call a club date act.

I am familiar with you because of Kid Stuff 5.That I read many times.I considered it a great book for school show performers.I am in DC area,but born in Norfolk,VA.

Everything you say I totally agree...

Don

Hi Don...I just called "it", the act!

I spent May 1951--February 1955 in NorVa. (Navy) Most of my friends from there are now 'late'. I played a lot of club dates in the Tidewater area in that time!

It was my first chance to really "break in" to the business.

Thanks for your kind thoughts! What I learned in those four years, made my life in magic possible.
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
As a kid I remember Earl Edwards his daughter Donna and Chuck Windley.I used to go to The Magic Shop every Saturday and spend my allowance.

Did you know magician Frank Clinton had retired to that area? I took a few lessons from him.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The name Frank Clinton is vaguely familiar, but, to be honest, I can't really remember him. Chuck Windley died a few months ago. Earl died in about '88. His widow a few years later
I'm in the VA Hospital fighting cancer.

If you liked KS 5, you might like my book "DICK OSLUND -- ROAD SCHOLAR". It's selling on five continents.

I LIVED at EdMars for four years while in the Navy.
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Dear Dick:
I wish you success with your trstment.

Here is his bio:

Frank Clinton

Cover of Genii (1947)
Born Francis Wright Clinton
May 15, 1899
Brooklyn, New York
Died November 15, 1988 (age 89)
Norfolk, Virginia
Frank W. Clinton (1899-1988), who also performed as "Frank Howe", was a semi-professional magician who specialized in general magic and lectures.[1]

Biography
Clinton learned magic as child, debuting at the age of ten doing charity shows.

Later became a real estate examiner in Brooklyn and did USO shows during World War II. Frank became a top magician in New York for some 25 years and was a friend of Harry Houdini. His credits include a command performance for Prince Peter of Greece and appearances on TV in New York City.[2]

His two trademarks effects were a cascade of butterflies from a glass of water and bouquets of roses that were handed out to the audience.

He founded the Kings County Capital Corp. and retired as its president in 1971.

In 1977, he moved to Norfolk, Virginia, where he taught magic.

Clinton joined the Society of American Magicians in 1927 and was a president of the Society of American Magicians Parent Assembly, the Professional Entertainers of New York and Magicians Guild of America.[3] He was also a 50-year member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, an associate member of the Inner Magic Circle of London, a fellow of the Academy of Magical Arts, a member of the Lambs, and the Supreme Order of Houdini.[4][5]

His daughter, Janet C. Goldbach, carried on the magic tradition performing as "Pixie".
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Frank taught magic lessons in the late 1970's.

I think I will also like your book.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi Don, I remember going to the Earl Edwards Magic shop as often as I could . I was only in the Norfolk area for about a year, but I sure enjoyed that.
You remember you had to walk through a pot bong head shop in front (part of the store) BEFORE getting to the magic shop in the back.
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Yes I remember walking through the pot paraphernalia.I was so young at the time maybe 9 or 10 years old (did not know it was paraphernalia or even what pot was!).
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2016, MikeDes wrote:
For me the problem is not with the props or magic equipment I carry. The problem is all the other stuff you need for the show. Things like a backdrop curtain, sound equiment, lighting, etc. If someone can figure out a way to make all that "pack small" it would be great! Smile

I usually skip the backdrop, if I can. As for sound equipment, it keeps shrinking in size as the technology improves. For small banquet rooms, I use a small amp with a built-in UHF receiver with a headset mike, made by Shidu. It's about 12 watts RMS and fits on the palm of my hand. Even the amps with considerably more wattage are shrinking in size. For lighting, I use rechargeable COBB LED work lights. The output is insane and a couple of them will fit in a lunch bag.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I believe a Shidu is the kind sometimes used by tour guides,
when using it where do you place it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Pack Small, Play Big (59 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL