The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Magic Must Sees in New York (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Howdy!

We - me, my wife and my daugther - are staying in New York from Aug 30th til Sep 5th.
Any recommendations what to visit/see with a touch of magic?
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hi Bernd,

Monday Night Magic is generally quite good; most Monday nights.

Tannen's Magic Shop has lectures from top magicians from time to time, you might get lucky that week.

A few blocks away from Tannen's is Fantasma Magic Shop. David Roth used to work there behind the counter from time to time. I don't know if he still does.

There's always so much going on in NYC, that it would be hard to say what will be available on any given day. Your best bet for entertainment choices in NY is to go to the Time Out New York website for comprehensive up-to-date information.

If you'd like to say hello when you get to NYC, drop me a PM and I'll send you my phone number.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Mystic Essentials is a good shop there says one of my witch sisters and that we all ought to get out of Europe this year before the chemical attack predicted by Baba Vanga the Blind Bulgarian Mystic.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
Tannen's is definitely worth visiting, as it's (at least, self declared) the oldest magic shop in NYC. It's very small, but the staff there is very nice (at least when I went to visit a couple months ago.) Be forewarned, though... know the specific address when you head there. I don't think there's any signage out front. You go into this nondescript building, take a tiny elevator up to the 6th floor (I think), and zig-zag down the hall until you reach the door. (Kind of an experience just getting there!) Be sure to check out their selection of magic books!
Tada!...

Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Bernd, Steve Cohen puts on a fantastic show. Here are the details:

https://www.chambermagic.com
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of StanleyRosenhouse
Magik Ballay (spelling?) works at Tannen's.
Watching him demonstrate magic tricks is like being at a show.
Stan
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bernd, if you go to Fantasma magic, be aware that the address is a little confusing. The postal address is 421 7th ave however they are not really on 7th. As you travel down 7th ave, pass 34th street and watch the building numbers. Fantasma is several doors down on the left. The doorway has a small awning and it sits next to a deli. You must have ID with you and sign it at a security desk for a pass.

I mention this only because the first time I went there, I spent over 30 minutes looking for 421 and finally had to ask for directions.
Where the magic begins
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

There's also a local magicians hangout near Tannens' and Fantasma. (Saturdays)
It's a pizza place called "Café Rustico. I forgot the address but you can easily find it via Google.
Stan
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Does David Roth still work at Fantasma?
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On May 3, 2016, StanleyRosenhouse wrote:
There's also a local magicians hangout near Tannens' and Fantasma. (Saturdays)
It's a pizza place called "Café Rustico. I forgot the address but you can easily find it via Google.

Is it still going on? I may catch it this weekend.
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

It's not a scheduled meeting. As far as I know it's every Saturday.
I only went there one time.
A bunch of magicians get together and talk and jazz.
They meet all the way in the back of the pizza place.
Ask Magick Balay about it.
He works at Tannens'. ( which is nearby).
Stan
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2016, Steven Keyl wrote:
Steve Cohen puts on a fantastic show. Here are the details:

https://www.chambermagic.com

Not that it makes any difference to me, but since "The Waldorf" will be closed for about 3 years, is Cohen setting up shop somewhere else?

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

CardMaker,
How did you make out in NYC?
Stan
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
124 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I've been to both Tannen's and Fantasma and am surprised they are both so hard to find "unless you know." I likewise had a hard time finding Fantasma (expecting to see a sign somewhere visible from the street!). And I was a bit nervous every exiting the elevator for Tannen's and seeing a strange-looking travel agency. Oh well, so long as they both can stay in business being a bit hidden, more power to them!
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
296 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Finding Tannen's & Fantasma definitely is an adventure. Its almost like finding that elusive Platform 9¾ to Hogwarts! Spent quite some time looking for them when I was in NY earlier this year. It is definitely worth the trouble though.

One thing I also did in NY was visit the gravesite of Harry Houdini. Very easy to find & I think very much overlooked as a place to visit.
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Agreed- first time I visited both, they were hard to find. I wasted a lot of time walking back and forth in the same block a few times, and GPS reception isn't great in the middle of big buildings. Building numbers can be hard to find if you're not familiar with the area. So, just for future reference to anyone looking at this post later...

The building where Tannen's is located also has a Sleepy's (the mattress store) prominently advertised in the ground floor. Enter that building and tell the guy at the reception desk where you're going and he'll direct you to floor 6. Make a left when you exit the elevator and walk all the way to the end of the hallway.

The Fantasma building is just next door to the Sbarro. You'll need to show a picture id to the security guy and have your picture taken. He'll direct you to the 3rd floor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Magic Must Sees in New York (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL