The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What Is This Trick Called? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Soumyajit
View Profile
Regular user
Under Your Bed
130 Posts

Profile of Soumyajit
Hello,

I read about a trick ages ago in a children's magazine. It consisted of an envelope. A spectator was asked a question and the secret answer was written on a piece of paper. Then the paper was sealed in the envelope. The magician would gesture on the envelope and tell exactly what is written.

The trick was apparently does with cotton doused in methylated spirit or ether. While gesturing, the magician would actually rub the the ether on the envelope which would make it transparent temporarily. After the secret is read, the magician would blow on the envelope causing the ether to evaporate (another magical gesture) and the envelope would become opaque again.

Does this trick have a name? I believe it was done by P.C. Sorcar Jr. Is he the inventor of this?

Thanks,
Soumyajit
Visit my site at : www.ulpnet.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
My brother and I did this with rubbing alcohol to see through the wrapping paper on our Christmas presents.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Soumyajit
View Profile
Regular user
Under Your Bed
130 Posts

Profile of Soumyajit
Hehe, any idea what this specific trick is called?
Visit my site at : www.ulpnet.com
solarpk
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of solarpk
This method was at least published in 1939 in the compendium 'Modern Magic Manual' By Jean Hugard

While I don't think Hugard necessarily invented it, that publication date is 5 years before Sorcar was born.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Sorcar, like The Phantom, has lived forever... Smile

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I think that you mean SORCAR Junior!

I met Sorcar Senior at the IBM convention, in Chicago, in 1950! He was very definitely an adult.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
solarpk
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of solarpk
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
I think that you mean SORCAR Junior!

I met Sorcar Senior at the IBM convention, in Chicago, in 1950! He was very definitely an adult.

Indeed - the question was specifically regarding jnr. It is feasible the effect could have been invented by Sorcar snr.

What an honour to have met the man!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OOPS Solarpyk!

I was just commenting on yours of Sept. 10! It had been 17 days since the OP's (it's easier to spell "OP", than Soumyajit) OP, and, my somewhat ancient 84 year old mind had totally forgotten the "Jr." in the OP.

Yes, Senior was a colorful figure, as he wore his traditional wardrobe.

Some of the older magicians wore three piece suits! (it WAS 1950!) but most of the young guys (I was 18) wore much more casual attire!

Lectures were fairly "new" then. I learned a "few" things from OKITO, that were a big help to me. He did a few tricks, but, mainly discussed Showmanship & Presentation. --What an ARTIST!!!

I also met Percy Abbott, and, spent a dollar (!!!) at his booth for his "Perpetual Ball". I have used the "PB" in almost 20,000 shows! (a GREAT investment that really paid "dividends"!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
solarpk
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of solarpk
"Perpetual Ball" sells now for $5, so after factoring in inflation, it still represents an amazing bargain in those terms!

I do very much enjoy anecdotes that link us back to the great magicians - it's easy to forget how many of them are still in living memory.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Hugard gave it this not-so-lyrical name: "Reading Names in Sealed Envelopes."
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
It predates all magi mentioned .It origins lie in Séance work in Victorian times .
Mark
E.O.I
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What Is This Trick Called? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL