The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism Biographies (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
In a separate thread about "Maurice Fogel: In Search of the Sensational," George Hunter mentioned that he has about eight mentalism biographies in his collection. It got me wondering, which mentalism biographies have been published, and which are the ones most worth reading?

Thanks, George!
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Hi Truman:

As I look up on a shelf, I see several in addition to the Fogel bio.

1. Mel Gordon's Eric Jan Hanussen: Hitler's Jewish Clairvoyant is very good. There are a couple more Hanussan bios.
2. Chavet, Alexander: The Man Who Knows
3. Goodsell's Finding Dariel Fitzke kind of qualifies, though Fitzke's focus included most of Magic.
4. The newest is The Incredible Dr. Jaks.
5. Two Books, The Mind Readers and The Thought Reader Craze feature multiple biographical sketches.

I am pretty sure I have, or have had, a couple more. Fogel is the best I have read.

Hope this helps,

George
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
The Mind Readers is by William Rauscher
There's a Wolf Messing bio or two, Dunninger's daughter (or maybe grand daughter) wrote a bio.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
The Indescribable Phenomenon by Barry Wiley is about Anna Eva Fay. It is excellent.

Barry Wiley wrote The Thought Reader Craze as well, also high quality. It covers John Randall Brown, Washington Irving Bishop and Stuart Cumberland. Bishop is a weasel among weasels.

The First Psychic by Peter Lamont covers Daniel Dunglas Home. I haven't read this one yet.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Theres a great one on peter hurkos...
I've asked to be banned
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Sorry for my ignorance. But does 'mentalism' field only have biographies...are there no autobiographies? Just wondering whether no mentalist felt like writing his/her own story....
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Derren Brown has written a couple of public books which are partly autobiographical.

Another one for the list: "Annemann - his life and times".

Barry
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Profile of Twisted Mentat
Maybe someone can help me:
Where can I find "The Last Book of Nelson : An Autobiography" by Robert Nelson?
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
A couple other biography's

"The World of Ted Serios" by Jule Eisenbud, M.D. William Marrow and Company New York 1966/1967 is a excellent account of Ted Serios and his life.

“Bob Nelson’s Sins & Secrets,” Damon Reinbold, is also fantastic as it is written by a guy who worked at Nelson Enterprises with Bob and Betty who tells stories of his experience there. In fact it's the book is the best book I have read in decades and the best book on Nelson written so far. Currently not in print after the passing of Damon. That said his wife may be reprinting the book at some point. When she does I be buying a few more copies. It's that good.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2016, mindmagic wrote:
Derren Brown has written a couple of public books which are partly autobiographical.

"Confessions of a Conjurer" is his autobiography. It is a very entertaining read, and quite scary how often I found myself thinking "I have the same bizarre idiosyncrasies as Derren Brown!"

It does deal more with his magic days, prior to mentalism, but I still recommend it.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2016, MentalistCreationLab wrote:
A couple other biography

“Bob Nelson’s Sins & Secrets,” Damon Reinbold, is also fantastic as it is written by a guy who worked at Nelson Enterprises with Bob and Betty who tells stories of his experience there. In fact it's the book is the best book I have read in decades and the best book on Nelson written so far. Currently not in print after the passing of Damon. That said his wife may be reprinting the book at some point. When she does I be buying a few more copies. It's that good.

What Bill said. Get your hands on this book by any means necessary. It's that good!
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
I can't recommend "Milo and Roger A MAgical Life" enough. It's not only one of the best magical biographies I've ever read, it's actually one of the best biographies of any genre. Milo started and remainder a "reader" in tea rooms even after they became a world renowned magical act. What a wonderful story.
Highly recommended.
Ted L
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Milo & Roger book is good.
Recently read the Tony Shiels bio & the Tony Andruzzi book Unspeakable Acts is great (and huge)
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Kreskin has an autobiography and there are several books on Uri Geller (including an autobiography)
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Marc Salem's new Mind Games is part autobiography.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
"The Story of a Hypnotist," by Franz J. Polgar with Kurt Singer ("My Adventures in Telepathy, Hypnosis, and Memory"). You'll find a first-hand account of Hanussen's act, not necessarily a flattering one. The jacket cover says, "Very often he tells an audience: 'Hide my check. If I can't find it through a mental guide, you keep it.' And he always wins this bet." Sound familiar? Smile
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on...btw, searched for Marc Salem's Mind Games, but unable to find anything. Any help on where to get this would be appreciated thankfully.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2016, mindmagic wrote:

Another one for the list: "Annemann - his life and times".

Barry

I believe the full title is Annemann: The Life and Times of a Legend. A fantastic book by Max Abrams.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
r1chyoung
View Profile
New user
Oxford
92 Posts

Profile of r1chyoung
Derren Brown is on The Magicians' Podcast this week discussing his incredible career. It is a 2 hour interview and free to listen to here:

http://magicianspodcast.podbean.com

I hope you enjoy it.

Best wishes

Richard Young

Creator & Host of The Magicians' Podcast
Thanks, Richard
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Raum
I found "A Thought Reader's Thoughts" on archive.com An autobiography by Stuart Cumberland.
https://archive.org/details/thoughtreadersth00cumbiala
Maybe someone read this book and can give review?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism Biographies (24 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL