The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Magicians: Life in the Impossible (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
I was going to review this for Magic Magazine, but alas, the magazine disappeared a bit too soon. So as the movie gets its release on itunes and elsewhere this week, I had to say a couple things about it.

Magicians: Life in the Impossible by Marcie Hume and Christoph Baaden is a wonderful film and easily the best documentary about magic I have ever seen. I recommend this to magicians and non-magicians alike - it's fun, charming, entertaining and fascinating. In some sense, it is not about magic at all -- it is a very personal and revealing peek into the lives of a handful of magicians. They are all terrific performers and fascinating characters, but I have to give special shout out to Jon Armstrong and Brian Gillis for an act of generosity and bravery in allowing us to see them at their most vulnerable. This has a huge impact on allowing us to root for them and join in their failures and triumphs.

And huge props to directors Hume and Baaden for creating portraits that are very intimate without ever being awkward or exploitative - you can feel the directors' love for their subjects in every scene. They've pulled off a remarkable trick of their own, allowing honest human stories to unfold naturally while managing to keep the pace moving and the stories engaging. They've distilled five years worth of filming into a remarkable whole where no story seems forced, yet every cut between stories seems meaningful.

Beautifully shot and scored, this is the real deal.

-Chris Philpott

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/magici......t=uo%3D4
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
That is the first review and comment that I've read about the film - that hasn't included one word: "DEPRESSING".
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I watched the first half of this an I agree it has quite a depressing atmosphere to it!

However, I liked the various performances shown on it!

Sleepy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Magicians: Life in the Impossible (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL