The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Bose at a Pro Event ? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just did a show for 300 and was told there would be a DJ and I could plug in my microphone to their sound system.
The DJ used the Bose L1 M1S with B2 Bass Module

Before my show I did a sound check. I also walked around while they played their music and while there was no music and just voice.

Since the Bose system is only one tall column of tiny drivers it was extremely loud in some areas and way too quiet in others.
Voice came thru pretty good, actually, but still over loud in some areas and too quiet in others.
Music and everything else sounded like crap.
There was ok bass but it obviously required the sub-woofer module for that.

There's no way that sound system sounds anywhere close to 2 regular normal PA speakers by JBL, Mackie, Carvin, etc.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of gothike

Frank,

Completely agree with you.

The unit is expensive at around $1,800 with the base module. In a smaller room, living room, small library, the unit could perform better but a larger room needs a unit in the left side and the right.

Its just a bunch of computer size speakers in an array and a bass module with a simple eq.

For $1,200 you could pickup the industry QSC K12.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Very True... The Bose system is really designed for some sound reinforcement for an individual player. The original idea was to have each player in a small group with their own system, thus creating an acoustic mix of the individually amplified players. Certainly an interesting alternative idea but certainly not the right tool for a DJ or show.
Ray Pierce
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
All professional sound guys I have talked to say Bose is over rated and over priced. I'm personally very happy with my JBL Eons.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Bose are great at marketing and great at making things sound good at the demo area at the store.
I won't argue that.

In real life they are overpriced and extremely over-hyped, especially by their customers who don't want to regret their purchases.

Question:
do you think the NFL has all coaches use bose headsets on the sidelines, on live TV every week in millions of households, because they are awesome?
or do you think bose is written on NFL headsets as a marketing ploy?
don't fool yourselves.

you want pro sound? buy pro sound (and save money too) !!!

when you start seeing pro bands using bose, let me know. LOL!!!!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Haha.. yes that will be the day. Loading a Bose Line Array into an arena! I suppose stranger things have happened in life.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
"No highs, no lows, it must be Bose"

I've been saying this for years to entertainers regarding teh Bose systems. Same for performers that insist that Happy Amps are sound systems. They are not, they are amplification systems, huge difference.

When it comes to sound, one size most definitely does not fit all. Bose for NFL, theater crews and broadcast is a completely different use and application than live sound production and reinforcement.

I agree with ThosmasR, EON's (JBL), or comparable Yamaha's, or even Mackie have a much broader range and applications to the mobile entertainer, and usually cost less than any of the Bose systems. If you are a coffee house performer, say a guitarist/vocalist, this could be a decent system, but for filling a banquet hall, dance floor or theater, forget it.

I completely agree with you guys. Sound is one of the most overlooked areas to entertainers, especially magicians, who will spend hundreds to thousands on tricks, props, effects, backdrops, cartoon logos, pop-up signage, but skimp when it comes to the most important elements - a good quality microphone or wireless system, and a pro-quality sound system.

What good is any performance if it can be heard and understood?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
When it comes to sound, one size most definitely does not fit all.

Exactly. I need so any options depending on the venue. My current larger rig has 4 JBL PRX525's with 4 Carvin 18" Subs. I also carry 2 powered wedges which can double as side fills depending on the stage. This is good for up to a few thousand people. I don't carry more as most of the venues that are larger than that come with sound or will have an outside vendor supply it. For smaller venues I can use the wedges for mains. With a small post, then can attach to the subs to get them up where I need them. In the old days I had amp racks and huge cabinets but now with the powered speakers, I can just run XLR from the mixer or rack straight to the stacks.
Ray Pierce
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2016, gothike wrote:

Frank,

Completely agree with you.

The unit is expensive at around $1,800 with the base module. In a smaller room, living room, small library, the unit could perform better but a larger room needs a unit in the left side and the right.

Its just a bunch of computer size speakers in an array and a bass module with a simple eq.

For $1,200 you could pickup the industry QSC K12.

First thought when you posted the cost was the K12s. They're amzing.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
For $1,200 you can also get the QSC K15 full range powered speakers (much better/deeper bass for a full range throw)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Bose at a Pro Event ? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL