The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sword thru neck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Hello guys,

i have a now old prop sword through neck.

I need to change the scotch tape inside the blade of the sword but I have never done that.

Could somebody who has done this before please send me some tips and directions as how to do this correctly?

Please send an PM.

Thank you in advance.

Best
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Magic sells silver metallic mylar tape that you can put on the outside of the blade. One on side folded over and a long one that goes the down and up the length of the sword.

No matter which you have and which method you want to use, you will have to remove the blade from the handle. In some cases that means digging out the finishing nails, with the least amount of damage to the handle.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Thank you Bill,

it helps.

best
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
I am in the same situation. Can it be done with Scotch tape? I'd like to use it for a gig on Saturday and don't have time to order the Mylar.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, MagieFraudster wrote:
I am in the same situation. Can it be done with Scotch tape? I'd like to use it for a gig on Saturday and don't have time to order the Mylar.

Scotch is not the same as Mylar, the tape will most likely tear off rubbing against the metal and wood, if you are applying it to the outside, it will also cloud the metal.

Of course, if you mean to replace the inside scotch tape with new scotch tape, that is how it is currently being held together. You still have to remove the brads.

I have repaired my Roydon model, similar to Abbott's, several times, I have decided the Mylar looks so good and is very strong, will last many shows.
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
Aluminum metal tape used in HVAC work is available most at Home Depot stores. Very strong and extremely "sticky". With care not to allow any wrinkles it should work quite well. I have used it on other projects with very good results. I would recommend several practice attempts on a piece of scrap wood or similar.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sword thru neck (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL