The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to repair a Card Sword? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sean Piper
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
139 Posts

Profile of Sean Piper
Has anyone ever had a go at repairing/replacing the elastic in a card sword?

I'd love to get this model up and running again, but there is not enough tension to keep the tip fixed. I'm prepared to start digging around with long nosed pliers to see what moves, but thought somebody might have words of wisdom to avoid any unfortunate slip ups?

https://goo.gl/photos/JzQX3B6cgreGnfNw6

On another note... anybody able to identify the manufacturer of this version? It's beautiful and super solid!

https://goo.gl/photos/jGYqe11eHc5oqmgQA
Piper Magic - Australia's Premier Online Magic Store

www.pipermagic.com.au

Supplying Australian magicians with high-quality apparatus, classic books, and a wide range of unique and collectible pre-owned magic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Most unscrew the blade from the hilt. Just give it a turn, as it should be attached with a special bolt. Most use a very thick and heavy elastic. Not the dress making type.

The only place I know to obtain the thick elastic is from Abbott's Magic, call them and they should be able to sell you a few yards for a few dollars.

I can only say this one may be from Europe. I seen it on the market a few years ago.

If you want a very good tutorial on the card sword, get Ted Lesley's DVD on Ted Lesley Volume 2 - Cabaret Magic. It explains how to repair the sword and gives his handling and routine.

Here is the download version: http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=pr......s_id=376

Here is the DVD physical version: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4220
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Search google for: cord elastic
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, there are plenty of places online to buy elastic. Just be sure to get the diameter you need for the sword you have. They are not all the same. I ordered some about a year ago to repair two card swords. Each required a different diameter.

If you have trouble threading the elastic down through the blade, see if you can thread a piece of thin wire or even some monofilament through first, attach the elastic to it and pull it back through. Attaching it to the tip will depend on how it is configured. Make sure there is just enough tension on the elastic before you knot it off at the ends so the tip snugs up to the tip end of the blade. But, not too much tension that prevents it from being stretched as far back to the hilt where you need it to go when you work it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Sean Piper
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
139 Posts

Profile of Sean Piper
Wonderful! Thank you gents... Smile
Piper Magic - Australia's Premier Online Magic Store

www.pipermagic.com.au

Supplying Australian magicians with high-quality apparatus, classic books, and a wide range of unique and collectible pre-owned magic.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
When buying elastic make sure you buy the elastic with the most % rubber content.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Much of the pull cord online won't work in a card sword as there is not enough elasticity. Anyone know a brand name to look for?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to repair a Card Sword? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL