The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » What to do with popped balloons (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ULockJustice
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbus, OH
201 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice
Ok, so I've decided to start playing around with balloon twisting because it just seems like way to much fun. I'm normally a high end card guy who does gambling stuff and I'm not really looking to add this to my show. It just seems like fun. Also I like it when things go bang. I've ordered some balloons on amazon, I've got balooning tutorials in my web browser waiting and ready to twist.

Problem is I'm a left wing liberal nut job who is concerned about the environment, recycles, composts, and is generally a greenie. You can all roundly abuse me for being young, dumb, and concerned about global warming and sea turtles later.

What do you do with popped and discarded balloons other than just pitch them in the garbage? I like the ideas I saw about taking practice sculptures down to Ronald McDonald House, and other places to give away, but what about the inevitable popped debris? What's an environmentally responsible thing to do with them?
This is the profile of Comedian + Magician Erik Tait. A self-promoting sleight of hand artist who thinks he is the cat's meow.

PM for beard tips.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
All balloon sculpted animals will eventually end up in the garbage. They will not last in a child's house but more than a day and the parents will discard then. So you are kinda adding to the garbage problem even if you do not personally throw them out yourself.
Though call.... I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with this very small amount of garbage.
Certainly you create some garbage already right?
I have seen some extremely conciseness people that throw out less than a hand full of garbage a year but that is such a rare person.

If you could find something to UP CYCLE the debris into to, but off hand I have no clue.
Best of Luck.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Latex balloons are bio-degradable.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Reins for the pony, little bubbles for eyes, leash for the dog if you don't want to blow up another balloon, put them in a dog=worms
alergy
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
25 Posts

Profile of alergy
Latex balloons are incredibly 'Green' or 'Environmentally Friendly'
...comparatively speaking

http://www.qualatex.com/pages/facts.php

Your other question was what to do with the scraps
They're brilliant

I frequently use these for raisin twists, and other ways of securing balloons together
A little puff into a scrap, secured at both ends can easily be utilised to enhance simple structures into something with a wow factor
Using scraps to tie wire frames together at a stall

I like Plinks suggestion of giving a dog worms
Thorn (UK)
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Profile of Thorn (UK)
Kudos to you for wanting to be environmentally concerned with balloons. I respect that.
However, regardless of what you do with your own cast-offs, the far bigger picture is that you can't control what happens to a balloon once you give it out. It's new owner will end up disposing of it somewhere.
They do bio-degrade eventually. But after seeing a bird swoop down and make off with a burst balloon of mine once I do worry what harm they could cause wildlife.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » What to do with popped balloons (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL