The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » I literally don't know who else I could ask this question... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
I am building my own little magic theater and my finale is fire eating. There is a LOT of smoke and I am also putting up a projecottor screen. I'm afraid even when it's rolled up it will get smoke damage. Any ideas? The building I am in can't really have a vent or fan to suck the smoke out...
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
1 - FIRE EXTINGUISHERS EACH SIDE OF STAGE!
1a - And where is your audience supposed to go until the smoke clears?

2 - Buy a projector screen that hangs from hooks in the ceiling, screw the hooks in securely.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
From experience, if you're doing this indoors without good ventilation, you're going to smoke out your audience. I've done fire in a large warehouse style building and even that wasn't big enough to disperse the smoke.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It sounds like you should discuss it with a fire inspector. If you can't, you may be making a huge mistake.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
*********See the above posts!**********

*****I hope that you have lots of liability insurance.

Dick
(old side show fire eater.)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
That's another big thing - depending where you're located you may not be able to have fire indoors at all.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
And you do not mess with a fire marshal. You want them to be your always-friends.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2017, rossmacrae wrote:

2 - Buy a projector screen that hangs from hooks in the ceiling, screw the hooks in securely.

I always have an audience member stand on the side of the stage with a fire extinguisher, and the fire is the last effect so they can leave the room after the show.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
That's your call, of course, but I'd never entrust fire safety to a random audience member. When I did fire performance I had my people, who were trained to properly handle a fire situation, acting as safeties. That's me, though, and I wouldn't presume to tell you how to do your show.

So it seems your only concern is whether the smoke from the torches will damage the projector screen? My advice there is to set it up so the screen can be lowered to the floor. I don't know what kind of screen you'll be using but it shouldn't be hard to arrange that. If you're using a solid surface you'll need some kind of cover I think.

You will end up getting markings on the ceiling, I think. Without proper ventilation there's really no way to avoid that.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Buy some more insurance~! And, READ ALL THE ABOVE POSTS THREE MORE TIMES~!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Buy some more insurance~! And, READ ALL THE ABOVE POSTS THREE MORE TIMES~!
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
That's another big thing - depending where you're located you may not be able to have fire indoors at all.

Chris is correct.

Even in a city as big as Denver, Colorado, open flame of any kind is against the law. You can't get special permits or any way around the law.

So check with your local municipality and/or Fire Marshall about the laws.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2017, Kameron Messmer wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2017, rossmacrae wrote:

I always have an audience member stand on the side of the stage with a fire extinguisher, and the fire is the last effect so they can leave the room after the show.

You rely on an audience member to be your fire "safety"?
Not sure which insurance company, if any, will cover you for this? But their rates are about to sky rocket...

No offense but this sounds like a lawsuit, disaster, hazard waiting to happen.
I know if I went to a show where the room fills with smoke, I would not be happy...

Please don't take offense. You asked us, and as you can see, many are truly saying this is not a good idea. They may be just saying "buy lots of insurance" , but read between the lines my friend...

Good luck

mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » I literally don't know who else I could ask this question... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL