The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's In Your Show? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
So, I'm not asking about the names of specific effects or routines (but feel free to mention them) but more so interested in the building blocks of your shows. Do you use "standard" kids show props/routines (Run Rabbit Run, Hippity Hoppity Rabbits, Stratosphere), modern kids show props/routines (e.g. latest and greatest), classic magic props (linking rings, cups & balls, egg bag), home made props, routines from classic books like Mark Wilson or Tarbell, basic props (cards, rope, silks, etc.). Are your presentations "out of the box", a narration of the adventure of the props (if I put this here, then you will see that this happens), standard kids show patter (look don't see, magician in trouble, etc) or something else? I'm curious to see the variety of approaches and how those approaches differ depending on the ages of the kids you perform for.

My kids show (which is really a family show for ages 6 and up) is very much based on classic magic props including linking rings, cups & balls, egg bag, billard balls, sponge balls, etc. The props for those effects are "magician quality" - Proline Rings, RNT Cups, Lynetta Welch egg bag, Fakini Billard Balls, etc. I use Mark Wilson's Bigger Card effect as a justification to bring out either a Jumbo Invisible Deck or a self-made Jumbo McCombical Deck both in the old but great Bicycle Jumbo Cards. I have a David Ginn Sheepdog puppet named Emerson (who is amazingly sarcastic and disrespectful - anyone else have this problem?). Several of my routines are based on Jim Steinmeyer effects where I've made or acquired the props myself. I sometime use my own "Mismade Zebra" silk and change bag routine with younger kids and sometimes use Vanishing Bandana instead of the McCombical Deck (only one magician in trouble gag per show). I also use a Roberto Giobbi rope trick routine from Genii a couple of years back. I'm working on adapting Tom Stone's Benson Burner routine to use as my closer. My character is more of a guide taking the spectators on a trip through my imagination rather than the Silly Billy / David Ginn bumbling magician / clown character. As a result, my prentations tend to be very much story-based. Most of my scripts are original with the execption of the Steinmeyer pieces which use Jim's scripts with adaptation and the McCombical Deck / Vanishing Bandana / Giobbi Rope Trick which all are pretty much done according to script.

How about you?
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Interesting question.

I have a few rules (which I am known to break). One rule is that I use no kids props. Another rule is that I never use a standard, known presentation. That rule is never broken.

It starts with a story for me. If I have a story, I can build a routine around it. If I don't have a story, no matter how strong the trick it won't work for me. And all routines have to fit in with my performing character.

Around those constraints I build the show.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Tony B!

I believe that "thee and me" think much alike.

As a young teenager, I did use Hippity Hop Rabbits, but, that was in the '40s, and, one brief three week "tour" when I left the Navy. I had done the die box as a kid, too, but it had been in the trunk at home as of my Navy days, starting in Jan. '51. About the mid '70s, Jay Marshall gave me HIS die box presentation,which was definitely not a "kid" presentation,and, I used it in a tour for Dakota Assemblies. Jay's routine played exceptionally well, but, I red lighted it at season's end.

Generally, hippity hops, die boxes, and, similar sucker props, are a "one time trick". On a school tour, I don't know what the local magician has done, but, often, I hear from kids after my program that the local guy uses at least one of them! I don't do a "kiddie" show, so I don't need "kiddie" props, either!

You want a "story", I want a "premise". --I think that WE think much alike! If I don't have a premise that fits ME, no matter how wonderful is the trick, it doesn't make it into my program. The same goes regarding my performing character!

My "motto" (KIS MIF) and my criteria (all nine of them) kept me working for 50 years!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2017, TonyB2009 wrote:
It starts with a story for me. If I have a story, I can build a routine around it. If I don't have a story, no matter how strong the trick it won't work for me. And all routines have to fit in with my performing character.

Quote:
On Mar 22, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
You want a "story", I want a "premise". --I think that WE think much alike! If I don't have a premise that fits ME, no matter how wonderful is the trick, it doesn't make it into my program. The same goes regarding my performing character!

TonyB and Dick, I'm with you. Really, the one thing that ties all of my effects together is that I've found a presentation that fits my character and that I enjoy performing. Often it is a story (the influence of Robert Neale), sometimes it is a monlogue of whimsy (Steinmeyer's influence), occasionally is is a sucker gag (Vanishing Bandana or McCombical Deck) but always it is that all the pieces fall together to become a presentation piece (the influence of Euguene Burger and Larry Hass). The variety of presentations and props gives the show what Euguene Burger calls "texture." My character provides the coherence.

The selection of classic props is really doing what I love. The development of my own routines for them is what makes the show something people haven't seen before (as well as the developed presentations rather than simply the narration of the adventures of the props).

Anyone else willing to share?
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I agree with Tony and Dick. While I don't do too many kid shows, I did one today. To me, it's not about the props. It's about the script. For example, I opened with a story about the house I grew up in, my parents, my sister, and my twin brothers, Darrel and Darrel. It was a monte routine, but the story and the home-made props made it special. I will also use very old props, sometimes combined with new props. For example, I used an ancient silk cylinder combined with the pretty recent "Sugar Rush" to produce an empty cylinder of candy, then pour out just two pieces of candy, then have the candy multiply, then disappear, then produce a cylinder full of candy.

I have also realized that kids shows are much more difficult than adult shows. You have to roll with the punches, and you have to appeal to both adults and kids.

KJ
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Of all,of the philosophies of doing kid's shows, David Kaye's fits me the best. The one thing in his book that hit me the hardest was when he wrote, 'it's not the destination, it's the trip.' The only time that I use a routine that doesn't involve multiplayer volunteers or the entire audience, in when I need something to settle them down. I have that planned into the show. I use no standard kid show props, they just don't fit me. My goal is to keep the kids under contro, and to finish the show with the kids more exhausted than I am.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
How to get better at doing kids shows? After 25 tears I am still learn something after every show. You get better by doing! Every audience is different. Live audience feedback is your best Teacher. Cheers!
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2022, vincentmusician wrote:
How to get better at doing kids shows? After 25 tears I am still learn something after every show. You get better by doing! Every audience is different. Live audience feedback is your best Teacher. Cheers!

Right on Vincent.
You only get better by years of performance,it all comes with experience. I will be 78 come April and I'm still learning new things in every performance.
I'm still tweaking my routines to the ever chamging times. Things I use to do and say in my in my performance are not allowed in todays society.
Tricky Ricky
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Echo everyone saying "experience". Now after 15 years of performing for all ages, you really do figure out what works and what doesn't. I finally have been able to incorporate timing of "pauses", certain "facial expression", specific "eye looks" etc... They really enhance the laugh and enjoyment of your show when you realize and learn when and how to use them.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's In Your Show? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL