The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » PDF's vs Books (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
The price of toner is a killer....
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2018, malaki wrote:

I found a site called compandsave that has ridiculously low prices. The cartridges for my Brother printer are about $5 or $6 each there. My other printer's cartridges are around $15 I think, but I never use that one, so I forget. I honestly don't know how they make any money at those prices, but I'm glad they're an option. Otherwise I'd never be able to print anything.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2018, Race Blakhart wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2018, malaki wrote:

I found a site called compandsave that has ridiculously low prices. The cartridges for my Brother printer are about $5 or $6 each there. My other printer's cartridges are around $15 I think, but I never use that one, so I forget. I honestly don't know how they make any money at those prices, but I'm glad they're an option. Otherwise I'd never be able to print anything.

I hear that.
I have been writing for and editing our club's Grimoire for 22 years now. This is an annual trade publication that our members contribute to, usually consisting of from 20 to 50 pages in length. I am now about 5 years behind in printing my own copies. I reference the information all the time on the computer, but I am seriously lagging behind on the paper version that I print onto parchment. The first 10 years filled a 4" binder, using plastic sheet protectors on double sided pages. The second binder has only about 3 or 4 years in it so far, for I have just not had the finances to print the rest and get the sheets into which to put them. I will go searching for Compandsave later today! Thanks for the tip!

Now if I could just find another 4" binder that will not require a second mortgage...
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
Hey - I really like books. I like the feel, from the hardbound cover to turning pages. Being able to flip through a book with my thumb. The look, the nostalgia, the cool factor of here's my library, all of it. I hate how bulky and heavy they are. Lugging them around is a chore. My eyes are going and some print is tough to read. Propping up a book to get the proper light sucks also.

PDF's are handy. I put mine in a cloud storage and access just about anywhere I have connectivity. A keep a couple of holdouts on various flash drives for offline. I can organize, search, and most importantly increase the size of the font. I have just about completely converted to PDF's. I do keep a physical copy of Bobo's and Mark Wilson's Complete Course of Magic, but really they are just nice to have.

While books will always have a place in my heart, I stick with PDF's
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
To me it's an easy answer: magic literature is meant to be read no matter whether it's PDF or physical. Sure, I love to hoist J.K. Hartman's Card Craft of the shelf, or, even kore hernia inducing, the mammoth Stewart James tomes. But, what is important to me is what I can learn. In that regard, PDF and physical format stand shoulder to shoulder. Some authors have gone completely over to e-books and it hasn't affect the worth of the material one iota. I knda pity the guys that won't look at an e-book because they are missing out on some really hellaciously great magic.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The term physical book is redundant. All books are physical books. A book is a book . An e-book is the contents of a book in an electronic file.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, murf wrote:
The biggest advanage of PDF (or electronic verus paper in general), in my opinion, is the ability to SEACRH! I love to have a book in my hands, but when I want to find something, I yearn for a PDF version of the book I'm holding.

Murf

This.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, Tom Wong wrote:
Just an update. I recently bought a pdf download by Daniel Madison called "Legacy" (similar to Anthology by Daniel Madison). I also have a Amazon Kindle 7th gen which I planned to put the pdf's on. As you all probably know though pdf's are very problematic for kindles to handle. If not converted the raw pdf is a pain to read on the kindle as the text is too small and relies on you zooming in and panning which makes a stressful reading experience. Simple fix! you're probably thinking, "Just convert the pdf to a more readable format using software such as Calibre" NOPE! Calibre is ok for some conversions but for others it completely messes up text and graphics. My solution: k2pdfopt. This program deals with complex pdf's like cake. I now have very easy to read pdf's on my kindle to read anywhere, anytime.

If you would like to know more about different presets and options I used with k2pdfopt feel free to PM me. Cheers.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks so much for this.
I have a few programs to experiment with over the next few months and it’s great to have options.

I have many books and it's frankly overbearing.

Maybe Behr's site will one day be so robust that clicking on a book will link to ones personal library or where it can be procured.

Speaking of digital tags, anyone have some useful ones that aren't obvious?
Additionally any ideas for meta/tags that might be useful later on down the line.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Books for me whenever available.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Although I have "gone a little overboard" (according to my wife but what does she know? after all, she married me Smile ) buying "BOOKS" over the last couple years and have come to have a deeper appreciation to the physical form, I still have way more (and continue to purchase) PDF versions for various reasons. I do still "Prefer" the PDF over the book for the simplest of reasons - Price, Ability to quickly search, ability to make notes, highlight, draw in, black out content and yet, I am still able to revert it right back to its brand new condition with a few keystrokes. More importantly though, I can carry literally hundreds of PDF's with me on my phone, tablet or laptop to access at any time. Books are limited to only a couple at a time realistically.

Not being a "collector", the real value to me is the content. Content can come in many ways and some retain more in different mediums also. Thus there is the whole "Visual Learner" argument (if you toss dvds and downloads into the mix) but I digress. I feel Books and/or PDFs give you way more "bang for the buck" and are my preferred mediums. One very recent example is a $20 download of a John Bannon "sandwich type effect". The same effect is in his more recent book "Mentalissimo" currently $60 with priority shipping in the US. I think I recall at least 4 effects from this book to date that have been offered as stand alone videos/dvds/ with or without gaffs in some cases. So... I got all of these plus many more great effects for the price of around 3 of these stand alone effects. This is only one example by only one author but the point is... This happens all the time. Books/PDFs have so much more to offer than the stand alone stuff.

For me though, a book over a video allows ME to interpret how I see the effect working and challenges me often to "Make it more of my own" rather than presenting a word for word copy of the video which may or may not flow with my representational style. Books also may contain a section just explaining a certain concept or principle before adding them into an upcoming effect but you can read the concept and work it into something original to you.

So, all in all, In still prefer PDF's (especially for cost) over Books. Yet I prefer either over video / dvd. That is my opinion. I do see Books over PDFs as a "valid argument" also but the people who feel that way look at it for different reasons.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Poof daddy wrote:

‘Not being a "collector", the real value to me is the content.’

One doesn’t have to be a collector to appreciate a book beyond its content.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Poof daddy wrote:

‘Not being a "collector", the real value to me is the content.’

One doesn’t have to be a collector to appreciate a book beyond its content.

This is true.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
It is such a common misconception, Isn’t it?
Shadow Art
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Shadow Art
Main difference between physical book and pdf is that you can sell physical book, if you don't like it.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I view my library as an investment in knowledge. Of course I have tried to instill in my family the value of the books to other magicians, as well. I have often told my wife that if she sold my books (or tools) at a garage sale, I would come back to haunt her. ; )
This IS a part of their inheritance, after all...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » PDF's vs Books (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL