The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Intro and Halloween show questions (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jimmy Ledbetter
View Profile
Regular user
the Dirty South
127 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Ledbetter
Hi, this is my first post in this section but I've spent the last couple of months going through every page and reading. I'm new to escapes but not to Magic and I have been mainly a Mentalist. So, I'm working on shows for a haunted house this fall. Last year was 17 nights and this one will be about the same. I'll probably do 3 shows a night with the last one each night being the 100 ft. rope tie for a chance to win free tickets. I've got my straitjacket of course, and I'm about to start building an Australian Torture Crib, only the chains will stop at my chest and have a steel neck collar securing my neck to the board. I have a HEAVY Siberian Chain and an Asylum wrist strap. Also Jay Leslie is building me a Tom Horn belt right now. I'm also working on a full view mail bag (with cuffs and ankle cuffs) where I force my hand out and "pick" the lock. Obviously, I won't do all of these in each show but I didn't want to do the same thing each show as some folks stay all evening (so I guess it's really more like one long show with big breaks). Does anyone have any ideas on anything else that I might consider or any of these things that may NOT be right? I can't do traditional side show stuff as there are side show guys performing (when I'm not) on another stage. Thanks in advance!

Jimmy
Jimmy Ledbetter
www.houstonmentalism.com
ECSS II Alumni
ECSS III Alumni
"Do not seek the truth, for the truth will find you"
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I would not vary it. Or if are adamant about varying it -start more "simple" and get progressively more difficult through the night. But my own feeling is one performance that kicks it is much better than 3 smaller ones over the night..... but it sounds like you are tied into doing three performance??
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If you do one escape after another after another, the audience will know what's coming.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Exactly.....

..... but I you are tied into doing three shows a night and you absolutely have to do an escape at each one .....

..... I would maybe ........

do something like losers chain breaker - its escape but not....... then maybe a handcuff escape demonstration - I do a pair of Hamburg 8s that I slip (takes me ages and it hurts but it sells well - I slip them (very slowly) and then put them back on and explain it would be quicker to take a screwdriver and escape with using that as a "pick". then I escape under the cover of my jacket/coat in seconds (method in Dick Normans handcuff book I think)..... then I the third show do a full view full on escape with the mail bag etc.... so it's been an evening of escape stuff but not all the same.

I like the Hamburg 8s as a demo first then follow up with but an escape artist can do it faster like this.....I find that works well for me. Of course, if you can't slip them you will need another method or cuff to use.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You didn't say how long the shows will be.

What else do you intend to do? It'll take some weaving.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Jimmy Ledbetter
View Profile
Regular user
the Dirty South
127 Posts

Thanks Dave and Harley! The reason for 3 shows is that my shows alternate with the Sideshow guys that are on the other stage. I will be doing around 15-20 minutes for each one. The good thing is that, other than Sideshow stuff, I can do anything that I want. I like the idea of starting small and building as the night goes on. I've got until the last week in Sept. to get everything figured out and I wanted to try and get input from folks who have done lots more of this than I have.

Thanks again,
Jimmy
Jimmy Ledbetter
www.houstonmentalism.com
ECSS II Alumni
ECSS III Alumni
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Since you have the same audience, you might consider keeping it to one escape per set.

If you have one with a danger factor, that should be your final piece, because gee, it's your big presentation.

That leaves two slots for escapes, and which would be most effective, depends somewhat on your other material.

www.bladewalker.com
Jimmy Ledbetter
View Profile
Regular user
the Dirty South
127 Posts

Thanks Harley! Lots to think about over the next few months.

Jimmy
Jimmy Ledbetter
www.houstonmentalism.com
ECSS II Alumni
ECSS III Alumni
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2017, Harley Newman wrote:
Since you have the same audience, you might consider keeping it to one escape per set.

If you have one with a danger factor, that should be your final piece, because gee, it's your big presentation.

That leaves two slots for escapes, and which would be most effective, depends somewhat on your other material.

I'm with Harley - what he said is absolute gold in my opinion - I would more than happily learn from that Man - he is such a well-seasoned pro!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Today I'm a bit peppery.

www.bladewalker.com
Jimmy Ledbetter
View Profile
Regular user
the Dirty South
127 Posts

I agree 100% Dave and I have a lot of respect for Harley's opinion. That's why I have lot's to think about. Smile

Jimmy
Jimmy Ledbetter
www.houstonmentalism.com
ECSS II Alumni
ECSS III Alumni
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Intro and Halloween show questions (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL