The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Beautiful piece of wood (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I believe I witnessed the most impressive recycle event just yesterday. I live in a small town of about 9,000 people. Once a year the city shuts down its public works department for a week to clean up the town. They encourage everyone to put any junk they don't want out at the curb. Junk dealers come from miles around to pick thru what people put out. Then the city picks up everything else. Its like a parade with no clowns. A group of about 50 workers come down the street with dump trucks, backhoes, Skid seers and trailers. They sift thru all the left over junk and separate it for recycle. Very impressive effort.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
That is Awesome!
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wow. I wish our town would do that. Do they take paints, oil, and other liquid waste?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Quote:
On May 6, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Wow. I wish our town would do that. Do they take paints, oil, and other liquid waste?

No they don't take chemicals or tvs but everything else. The day before the town looks like a natural disaster hit with junk piled in every yard, its hard to believe they can clean it up in a week. This town also picks up your limbs and yard waste once a month and mulches it for compost.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That's cool.

Our town does do collections on a lesser scale. They will take garbage, yard waste, and recyclables weekly, and larger or more unusual discards with a phoned in scheduled pick-up. They do however, encourage junk dealers to sort through the garbage the night before pickup to re-use what folks are throwing out. I love seeing the trucks driving down the street and collecting "garbage" knowing it will find a different home other than dump.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
Mine does it on a quarterly basis which makes it rough to find the furniture and the like because its buried under 4 months of tree and brush trimmings.....
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Great thread - just discovered it!

On the question of pallets, for exotic woods, check with motorcycle dealers or anyone who imports large items from exotic places. Often they are shipped from Japan or China, and are far more likely to have exotic woods composing their pallets. To them, it's just wood, like oak, ash or maple is to us.

Styrofoam can be a curse, but it also can be recycled. I have been collecting styrofoam ice chests from hospitals that I then cut apart and use to insulate my workshop. If a 1/8" slice of styrofoam can protect your hand from boiling coffee, a 1" thick piece will insulate your shop very nicely! I can now heat and cool my shop without breaking the bank!

I just hate to see anything of value end up in a land fill.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, Michael Baker wrote:
Someone once told me that pallets that come in from overseas are often made of exotic hardwoods. I have not had any luck in my quest but thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone wanted to take a second look at any pallets you run across.

When I worked for NCR, we often got shipments from our plant in San Palo. Brazil and they always came on mahogany pallets. The ***ed things were so heavy, no one wanted to mess with them.... except me! I still have some left in the shop waiting for a project.

If you want to hear a good story on smuggling in banned exotic wood, read or listen to the Stuart Woods novel, HOT MAHOGANY. The technique employed is a classic and was based on a true story.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, Dannicus wrote:
Yeah I am excited to work with this....The planks look awesome

Oh, my! I'm really liking that!
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
That is really beautiful wood.

I live close to the LA fires we had recently in Southern California. I was feverishly cutting large branches that were over or close to building structures on my property. One of the trees is a very old Chinese Elm tree. Some of the branches were as thick as four inches. Instead of making firewood out of them, I thought I would cut them into planks. They are very heavy, dense, and very beautiful, with different shades of color. Now I just need to dry them so they don't warp and figure out what to make out of them.
KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Beautiful piece of wood (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL