The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Chinese Sticks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
For those of you who love The Chinese Sticks, you may want to check these out:

http://www.magicinc.net/kochstickschines......ick.aspx
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Very nice, but after 50 years, I have yet to find or see a fantastic patter routine.

Where are the great comedy script writers of yesteryear? A ton of tricks and props, but no patter that is funny.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I saw those Rainboguy. They look beautiful.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Bill Hegbli.....you are correct. How do you go about making the Chinese Sticks entertaining.....and funny?

I like Kyle Eschen's Chinese Sticks routine....and it works for HIM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cnqukzNm28

Wizard of Oz: Yes..They look beautiful to me, too! But with a set of custom-made Kovari sticks, a set of Norm Nielsen's Okito Chinese Sticks, and a set of George Milward wood-finished sticks do I really need another set? I must admit that I'm a sucker for beautifully-made classic Magic props....
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Kyle's routine is the first one I thought of as well...
"If I had real magical powers I would do this all day"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kyle's routine is not available for use. If you do, it is stealing another's person routine. Kyle is a up and coming performer, and I hope he does well with a magic career.

I am speaking of people like Lu Brent, Sid Lorraine, Don Lawton, and others that wrote excellent patter for their tricks and others.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Kyle's routine is not available for use. If you do, it is stealing another's person routine. Kyle is a up and coming performer, and I hope he does well with a magic career.

I am speaking of people like Lu Brent, Sid Lorraine, Don Lawton, and others that wrote excellent patter for their tricks and others.

You mean conmercially available right? It's up to Kyle to decide if its available or not.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I mean it not available for stealing a word or sentence that Kyle speaks in his act, and how he delivers it.

I don't believe Kyle has marketed his patter commercially, therefore, if another person uses it, it is stealing. Sure contact him, and offer to buy his patter.

But much of his patter is dependent on his character and delivery style, so it won't do others much good anyway.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Bill Hegbli......Right............that is why I said "I like Kyle Eschen's Chinese Sticks routine....and it works for HIM."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
RAinboguy, it seemed you were responding to my comment. So I was casually hinting at any source there might be for patter for the Chinese Sticks.

I have all I could find, and Ken Brooke sent a copy of some sheets from some source, and it totally did not make any sense to me, at least for the sticks.

I think there has been more patter suggestions over the years for the Pom Pom stick, then the Chinese Sticks.

The Roy Benson mumbling is not the best patter, in my opinion. In the old days of the 1940's and 1950's it worked in many of the old movies as well. I don't think today it would work today.

Wayne Dobson is just to suggestively dirty to my liking.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
While not commercial... Ron Wilson had his famous Chinese sticks that looked like bag pipes.

Is there a routine in Conjuring Anaology? I Will look it up.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
"Tassels of Abbundant Enterprise" is Jims answer to the Chinese sticks in conjouring. A mix of Chinese sticks and Pom pom... Very clever as usual.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Any comment on this Fred Kaps performance? Part of the charm is Caps himself. The Sticks begin at about 4:15 in the video.

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Magnus:

Thank you for posting that link, I appreciate it.

Since you asked for comments, for what it's worth, and in all due respect to Fred Kaps being one of the all-time greats, in my opinion, his version of The Chinese Sticks was NOT one of his greatest performances.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
What do you find lacking, Rainboguy?

It felt a bit flat to me, too. The good part is that Kaps handles the sticks brilliantly. With many performers (including Kyle Eschen, IMO) the secret isn't so secret, but Kaps's movements all look beautifully natural.

But his whole premise and patter are cute but not very magical. And I'm not sure what he could do to fix that.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe the feeling I get from Kaps presentation is simply the patter flow. Asking questions of the audience, instead of demonstrating the action of the sticks and tassels.

It is a simple solution that will take it from a puzzle to a mystery. As a matter of fact, I think it would have been better to use the word mystery, instead of puzzle.

By the way, those were the Nemo Chinese Sticks sold by Ken Brooke Magic Place back in the 1970's. They are very smooth working, and heavy. I have a set, they cost $100.00 back then, and that would be $1000 today. Ken Brooke did not offer the 3rd stick, kind of wish he would have back then.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Chinese Sticks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL